Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (5) < 1 2 [3] 4 5 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: The Songs of Distant Past, proposal for a new (large) group project< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Nicolas Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Feb. 09 2006, 11:06

Many seem to be willing to do the whole piece.  Let's make that our aim then!  (oh boy... :O )  We won't have to argue about which parts to do and in what order that way :D.

There are good ideas coming from different ways here!  Having each person's voice on the record is a nice gimmick.

We'll probably start an msn chatgroup soon. MSN would be handy to share our recorded parts during the recording process as well.

Sharing the finished album online will literally be the last of our worries.  ;)
Profile PM 
The Bell(end) Offline

Posted: Feb. 09 2006, 11:40

I was thinking, just the other day, about recording a 12 or so minute piece, that incorporates the main parts of TSODE, I was going to record my preferred parts by playing the tracks on WMP and recording that with Audacity, saves listening time! :D

Could the group do this ?  :)

--------------
When the night's on fi-ya, do you need love's arms to hold yew? :D
Profile PM 
Nicolas Offline

Posted: Feb. 09 2006, 11:57

You mean a sort of medley of the themes?

We could do that. I don't know whether such a fast progress of themes would allow to put 70's singlelike arrangements into it.

I've heard multiple people who seriously want to try to do the whole thing, so I suggest starting with that as a goal.

If we see we won't make it, we can limit ourselves to finishing the parts we'd already started.  But the whole piece seems very interesting to me.  It would allow others to hear how we struggled to get all the different pparts of TSODE into a 70's MO (singles) jacket, not just those parts clearly fit for it, or only the non-chillout parts ;).

If we start with the whole piece, I think we should work rather chronologically on it.  To me, that means building a recording cable and recording some whale chants ;).

But first things first: getting the project started with clear guidelines.

If we create an msn chatgroup, jonnyw could give us a lead track, tempo values and other practical guidelines, and the participants could start discussing who does what and how.

I'm going home now, I'll take a listen to your TOTL work, jonnyw!
Profile PM 
jonnyw Offline

Posted: Feb. 09 2006, 12:09

yep! pm me nicolas (or add me to msn) and ill get right onto planning myself out for it, if korgie could help itd be great, even just until i get my machine back on track.

im going to listen to tsode as soon as i get home, and ive already got some nice tunes in my head.

lets get cracking!! :D

--------------
Grand piano.
Reed and pipe organ.
Glockenspeil.
Bass guitar.
Vocal chords.
Two slightly sampled electric guitars.
The venitian effect.
Digital sound processor.
And Tubular bells.

Solo music - http://-terrapin-.bebo.com

Band music - http://www.rsimusic.com
Profile PM WEB 
Nicolas Offline

Posted: Feb. 09 2006, 13:39

Jonnyw and I will start working on a general work plan next week. I won't be here in the weekend. And it'll take some time before I can get around to making a recording cable, so we'll have some weeks without my contributions anyway :).
Profile PM 
The Bell(end) Offline

Posted: Feb. 09 2006, 15:09

Preliminary dictation of 'only time will tell' and 'in the beginning........'  :laugh:  - Richard Durie ;)

We're attempting all sorts of versions  :)

--------------
When the night's on fi-ya, do you need love's arms to hold yew? :D
Profile PM 
emac Offline

Posted: Feb. 09 2006, 15:42

Oh I forgot!
Classical and flamencco guitars
and Harp (pretty rough on it but I could get a melody out of it!;)
Profile PM 
Nicolas Offline

Posted: Feb. 09 2006, 15:51

power switch - Nicolas

(we're fooling around with wild ideas, as a warmup for the real startup of the project in the coming weeks).

Acoustic guitar and harp = NICE!
Profile PM 
MusicallyInspired Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: Feb. 09 2006, 15:55

With regards to where to upload it, I'd be happy to host it on my website. And I'm willing to go for the entire album rather than a medley. But the decision would be up to you guys, I suppose.

--------------
BrandonBlume.com
"The beauty in life is in the embracing of the variety of things. If all the world was blue there would be no colour blue."
Profile PM WEB 
Nicolas Offline

Posted: Feb. 09 2006, 16:07

Jonnyw, myself, Bell(end) and piltdownboy on horseback 22 are willing to go for the whole album.  So is MusicallyInspired.

Jonnyw and I will set things up with doing the whole album in mind .  WE might want some expert advice on some practical issues.  We'll contact people in due time.

Those who want to participate can add themselves to my or jonnyw's msn list! (I guesss, I did not ask jonnyw :D). :cool:
Profile PM 
Nicolas Offline

Posted: Feb. 09 2006, 18:40

Just to show you that apart from the wild ideas and good laughs we're having right now (we're postponing the discussion of the practical aspect until monday (earliest date)...), people also actually started to practice!

We've got people starting voice exercises, effects tests, atmosphere analysis ( :cool:) and me, being not quite the musician, started at the very basis of my practicing: finding the notes (well, keys, I can't read notes so I find the keys by listening to the sound they produce :/ ) to some themes and nice setups for my organ.

He're an early teaser for those who think we'll never get anything recorded:

Lament for Atlantis - lead theme
Played on 1978 Eminent organ by me :)

(right click - save as)
http://www.angelfire.com/hi5....gan.mp3

It took some creativity -and a spare receiver- to record things, as I don't have a long enough cable at the moment. I had to displace the 150 kg organ :/

Enjoy! Soon things will start to take place behind closed doors  ;)
Profile PM 
MusicallyInspired Offline

Posted: Feb. 10 2006, 00:47

Nicolas what are you using to encode your files?!?! I couldn't watch the avi you posted earlier either; it just said "invalid format" and now I can't play your MP3. it says -16:-40 long??

--------------
BrandonBlume.com
"The beauty in life is in the embracing of the variety of things. If all the world was blue there would be no colour blue."
Profile PM WEB 
Nicolas Offline

Posted: Feb. 10 2006, 03:30

I use the aptly called program "wav to mp3 encoder" :).  The video is direct feed from the camera.

The sound fragment should be 38 seconds.  I assume you did use right click & save, as direct linking does not work from Angelfire.  I play the mp3 in Winamp (5), and the video in Windows Media Player (10).  I've heard people who could watch the video, and other MP3's (not linked here) made in the same way.  Strange.

btw is "egy_sg@hotmail.com" one of you people, or just an MSN virusbot?
Profile PM 
jonnyw Offline

Posted: Feb. 10 2006, 06:50

yes add me to your msn list if you wish to talk about it anyone! ill try to get online as soon as i can but its getting the machine i borrowed sorted, but i hope to be online soon!

--------------
Grand piano.
Reed and pipe organ.
Glockenspeil.
Bass guitar.
Vocal chords.
Two slightly sampled electric guitars.
The venitian effect.
Digital sound processor.
And Tubular bells.

Solo music - http://-terrapin-.bebo.com

Band music - http://www.rsimusic.com
Profile PM WEB 
BOOsTER Offline

Posted: Feb. 10 2006, 10:53

if you want I can help with mastering (doing it or giving advices) ... I could also host the file when finished...

I currently can't help by playing any instruments cuz I'm getting rather busy... :-)

if anything of above will be needed someone PM me ;)

--------------
http://www.djbooster.net
Profile PM 
Piltdownboy on horseback 22 Offline

Posted: Feb. 10 2006, 10:58

Thanks for that!!
Last night Bellend, Nicolas and I were already busy with all kinds of ideas for special sound effects!! And we've already got some legendary voice recordings by Bellend!

But I wondered: don't we get in trouble when we record all the album and then put it on the internet? Copyrights and stuff  :/
Don't know about that stuff... We'll see!

--------------
"And now we're going to play Platinum!"
Profile PM 
BOOsTER Offline

Posted: Feb. 10 2006, 11:05

Quote (Piltdownboy on horseback 22 @ Feb. 10 2006, 16:58)
Thanks for that!!
Last night Bellend, Nicolas and I were already busy with all kinds of ideas for special sound effects!! And we've already got some legendary voice recordings by Bellend!

But I wondered: don't we get in trouble when we record all the album and then put it on the internet? Copyrights and stuff  :/
Don't know about that stuff... We'll see!

I'm one of those who participated in Finale project...
First thing, we didn't get in trouble for that and Mike liked it.

Also yes, doing fan tracks/covers etc is by law considered illegal (in many countries), the thing is that covers or fan tracks are usually tolerated by the original artists and even publishers who every now and then sign someone who did such kind of a cover.

the easiest reply to this is what we learned at law school:

"There's no judge, when there's no prosecutor."

--------------
Profile PM 
Navaira Offline

Posted: Feb. 10 2006, 11:06

Call me stupid but I don't know which address to use to add you on MSN, Nicolas :s Mine is ray (at) acn.waw.pl.

As for covers, it isn't illegal to do one, as long as the melody and lyrics are kept intact, it is however illegal to distribute it without paying royalties. Even if you put it online as a free download, the US law theoretically orders you to put royalties off each copy downloaded. That is, if you get caught...

--------------
http://www.raygrant.com :: My album 'Exorcism' is out on iTunes now
Profile PM WEB 
Piltdownboy on horseback 22 Offline

Posted: Feb. 10 2006, 11:09

thanks for the answer, booster!!
Yeah, it would of course be the coolest thing if mike would hear the final product himself!! man, we would be proud of that!  :D

--------------
"And now we're going to play Platinum!"
Profile PM 
BOOsTER Offline

Posted: Feb. 10 2006, 11:09

Navaira: making a cover is considered plagiatorizing (not sure if I didn't write this word bad...:()

--------------
Profile PM 
85 replies since Feb. 07 2006, 18:25 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (5) < 1 2 [3] 4 5 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net