Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (5) < [1] 2 3 4 5 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: The Songs of Distant Past, proposal for a new (large) group project< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Nicolas Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Feb. 07 2006, 18:25

There are some threads here where people are warming things up for a follow-up of the Finale group project.  Quite some ideas were posted.  Some people are warming up on a Tricks of the Light cover if I'm correct?  If that TOTL cover track is to be a full group project, this proposal obviously will have to wait. If it's just a warm up for a new project, here's a good proposal  :p

Anyway I had this wild idea of recreating The Songs of Distant Earth in the style of Mike Oldfield's 70's albums (TB, HR, Ommadawn, the Christmas singles...).  Some people seem to like the idea so i thought it would be a good idea to start a new thread about it and see whether a) this idea actually holds water when thinking about it and b) we get enough momentum to start the project.

So here's the idea:

*the basis is the album The Songs of Distant Earth.
*the idea is to cover this album or parts of this album (an hour of music might be far too much work for an online project). Only this time it will be played using acoustic and analog instruments, in a 70's Mike Oldfield style. Yes indeed, we'll need all sorts of bells, from sleigh bells to tubular bells :D. And bodhran.
*my idea is to give it a good 70's sauce, but not to make the original unidentifiable.  There should be reasonable amounts of the original melodies and layering left. Not necessarily a 1 on 1 copy with other instruments though.
*as TSODE has some more quiet parts, we could try to get short links to other MO music into it that fit into the flow.

So, if anyone has

*an opinion about the idea
*a link to what he thinks is a better idea
*suggestions for this idea
*the will to collaborate
*handy material such as sheet music/tabs for those who need them and can read notes
*the will and capability of leading the porject, both as a group leader and technical director (mixer).

This is the place to post it.  

That way, we'll automatically see whether this idea is a dead duck or can indeed become a group project.

btw I came to this when I thought (with no specific reason) that many people liked TSODE and liked to do the older MO work, so why not combine the two. A bit of the opposite from the hergest ridge themes in TSODE arrangement cover tracks.

So, let's hear what the fans got to say about this!
Profile PM 
Nicolas Offline

Posted: Feb. 07 2006, 18:27

First names:  myself, Nicolas. I could do the whale sounds on my analog organ. I could also play some drones and some leads on it.  I also have a (ARP) Solina String Ensemble in it, which might come in handy for the 70's MO arrangements. I'd need a lot of practice for that though :).  I also have a keyboard, but I'd prefer not using it as it is a 2003 model :).

Mr_Brownstone appears to be willing to play guitar parts.  How and if he'll "seventiesize" them is up to him :).

jonnyw seems to be willing to lead a group project. Of course I don't know whether he would want to lead this project :D.

Those who are willing to participate should have a 70-ish instrument. That means it does not have to be old, but it must be able to sound like a 70's instrument.  Although I would prefer actually 70's or modern copies of 70's instruments.  I mean that I don't care how old bells, an acoustic guitar or standard electric guitar are, but that I'd prefer an old analog synth over a modern (digital) one. For the same reason I'd prefer someone actually using a piano instead of sampling keyboards.  But I think it's best not to be too purist in this, as long as the end result sound coherently 70's. Of course we'll mix the track digitally on computer :). If you've got something that makes music or other controlled noise and you're willing to participate, just present yourself!
Profile PM 
stevenmd779 Offline

Posted: Feb. 07 2006, 21:01

I'm all excited about this now since my keyboards are of a low quality anyway. If I can get a hold of a better microphone then I can add in some upright piano and melodica. I'd like to get a glockenspiel, but I don't know if I can find one, but you never know.  ;)  It would be nice if someone had some real live tubular bells, but I just don't see too many of those around.  :/

--------------
"A people who would sacrifice liberty for security will lose both, and deserve neither." Ben Franklin

Boogs is fo' da chode man.
Profile PM 
hiawatha Offline

Posted: Feb. 07 2006, 21:31

Speaking of keyboards, I might be able to contribute something from a MIDI-enabled 90 or so year old giant theatre organ, or something similar. If that is wanted.

--------------
"In the land of the Dacotahs,
Where the Falls of Minnehaha
Flash and gleam among the oak-trees,
Laugh and leap into the valley."
- Song of Hiawatha
Profile PM 
MusicallyInspired Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: Feb. 07 2006, 21:39

A TSODE cover? Count me in! I'd gladly lend my guitar abilities to even a track or two. The 70s-izing idea is really interesting. I have a pretty convincing Ommadawn guitar sound. Hope this one works out!

--------------
BrandonBlume.com
"The beauty in life is in the embracing of the variety of things. If all the world was blue there would be no colour blue."
Profile PM WEB 
Navaira Offline

Posted: Feb. 08 2006, 03:42

Well, since I'm a digital beast, all I could contribute would be vocals. :( They're very much in demand on any instrumental album, I've heard...

--------------
http://www.raygrant.com :: My album 'Exorcism' is out on iTunes now
Profile PM WEB 
Nicolas Offline

Posted: Feb. 08 2006, 05:41

Navaira: if you can emulate a much needed (or wanted :)) instrument that we can't find in reality, you could try that!

I also was thinking about vocoding the "God created the Heavens and the Earth" speech. Maybe you have a (software) vocoder somewhere? That would be a nice 80's MO reference. We could vocode it onto a famous MO melody of course, as was done once with that vocoder commercial using TB.

Stevenmd779: obviously an upright piano would be cool and handy.  There might be use for a (half speed :p) melodica as well, don't throw it away :).

Hiawatha: probably your organ will be able to do things mine can't.  Everything will get its place during the project. I've got a 70's analog giant theatre organ, so there will be some overlap there. But probably you'll be able to play parts my fingers simply can't produce anyway. Plus we could make 2 organs play in unison, like MO does often with guitars. Oh the possibilities :D. You mean your organ is from the 90's or that it is 90 years old, and was extended with MIDI somehow?

In this stage everyone is useful!

jonnyw indeed wants to lead this project, he'll use Cool Edit Pro. When time comes, we must decide on a system and lead track (or lead cut if we ain't doing the whole piece) so everyone can work at home on his parts.

TSODE will allow for people to cooperate in many tiny and large parts of the music.

Tonight I'll try to make a little video of some TSODE experimenting on the organ and string ensemble, just to get everyone inspired ;).

Now where are those people with bodhran, all sorts of bells, wood blowers (OK I've got a Moeck...), xylophones and bagpipes?

Do we have people who can actually play their acoustic bass? I will be of little use there... Obviously electric bass players would be very welcome as well. Everyone is welcome!
Profile PM 
Navaira Offline

Posted: Feb. 08 2006, 06:10

I do indeed have a vocoder (even two to choose from ;)) Okay, well, then my extremely musical role can be to vocode a Bible speech. :)

--------------
http://www.raygrant.com :: My album 'Exorcism' is out on iTunes now
Profile PM WEB 
Nicolas Offline

Posted: Feb. 08 2006, 06:12

You could vocode it onto a melody you play yourself of course. A TSODE melody or another fitting MO melody.

I'm sure your role will extend :)

You happen to have a microKorg? Those can sound very vintage as well :).

I really need to start working on building a long audio recording cable :).
Profile PM 
Nicolas Offline

Posted: Feb. 08 2006, 15:32

As promised, a small inspiring (I hope :p ) video of me trying out the whale sounds and first theme of TSODE on my analog organ with the ARP solina string ensemble (it sustains the first theme in this video, but it's barely hearable).

It's filmed with a photo camera, and by putting it onto the organ itself. The sound is clipped in the recording, that's due to the camera :).  My memory card's limited size did not allow for adding a demonstration of a drone.

Enjoy!

(10MB avi)
http://www.angelfire.com/hi5/olimotion/TSODP.avi
(right click - save as)

btw the organ is not spookingly autonomous. I just play the first theme on the lower manual, which is not visible in the movie clip :D.
Profile PM 
hiawatha Offline

Posted: Feb. 08 2006, 15:38

Here's an idea. About that introduction "In the beginning..." vocal line?

If someone could possibly get a hold of Arthur C Clarke and have him recite that line into the telephone, that would be "most excellent".....

--------------
- Song of Hiawatha
Profile PM 
hiawatha Offline

Posted: Feb. 08 2006, 15:39

Quote (Nicolas @ Feb. 08 2006, 15:32)
btw the organ is not spookingly autonomous.

And THAT qualifies for the best pick-up line idea I've read on the tubular.net forums!

--------------
- Song of Hiawatha
Profile PM 
Nicolas Offline

Posted: Feb. 08 2006, 15:42

Quote (hiawatha @ Feb. 08 2006, 15:38)
Here's an idea. About that introduction "In the beginning..." vocal line?

If someone could possibly get a hold of Arthur C Clarke and have him recite that line into the telephone, that would be "most excellent".....

telephonizing is a good option indeed (as done on Sally).

We could try to vocode the 10 - 9 - 8.... so that it holds a recognizable melody. That should be quite the effort!  :p
Profile PM 
Nicolas Offline

Posted: Feb. 08 2006, 15:44

Quote (hiawatha @ Feb. 08 2006, 15:39)
Quote (Nicolas @ Feb. 08 2006, 15:32)
btw the organ is not spookingly autonomous.

And THAT qualifies for the best pick-up line idea I've read on the tubular.net forums!

though "spookishly" would be better I assume (I'm not English mother tongue).
Profile PM 
Piltdownboy on horseback 22 Offline

Posted: Feb. 08 2006, 16:30

I got to go to bed soon, so I'll read all the posts later, but it sounds interesting and I'd love to be part of it!
I play bass... but you may know that!
I also have melodica... but I don't think it is needed! But I mention it anyway  :p

Ok! Tomorrow when I'm bored (which means: when I'm at school), I'll read all the posts!
Cheers,
Piltdowndude  :cool:

--------------
"And now we're going to play Platinum!"
Profile PM 
Nicolas Offline

Posted: Feb. 08 2006, 16:35

Good to hear you're interested! We've got our (first)
bass player! piltdownboy on horseback 22

Other names:

vocoder (and emulating other instruments?) Navaira

(electric?) guitar MusicallyInspired

upright piano + melodica stevenmd779

giant MIDI enabled theatre organ hiawatha

guitar Mr_Brownstone

analog giant theatre organ (and Moeck recorder) Nicolas

project leader/mixer jonnyw

Jonnyw, with these instruments already at hand, I think you can begin to find a lead track (midi/mp3?) and a general working method + starting an msn communication group or something like that?  I see that the website provides midi for all pats of TSODE. I haven't listened to them so I don't know whether they would serve as lead tracks, but they would allow us to start recording parts without having to chose on doing the whole thing or only parts yet.  An advantage of MIDI is that it allows people to isolate instruments in a midi sequencing program of course. Perhaps agreeing on a tempo and beat (that fits the lead tracks of course) would be handy as well, I mean something like 4/4 136bpm.  That allows everyone who uses a metronome to set them up identically.

I hope you can download and watch movies at school, piltdownboy  ;)
Profile PM 
MusicallyInspired Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: Feb. 08 2006, 17:10

I wouldn't go too much by the MIDIs on this website. A few of them aren't quite accurate (wrong notes/scales etc). Actually most of the MO midis I've heard aren't very excellent.

And yes my guitar is electric. What we need to do is figure out exactly what 70s MO style we're going to put it in. Playing the original the exact same way with 70s-sounding instruments wouldn't be enough. We need some serious thought put into this.

But of course these are just my opinions. You are welcome to disagree at your leisure.

--------------
BrandonBlume.com
"The beauty in life is in the embracing of the variety of things. If all the world was blue there would be no colour blue."
Profile PM WEB 
Nicolas Offline

Posted: Feb. 08 2006, 17:25

If we don't have good midi's at our disposal, an obvious choice is to use 1 and the same mp3 file for everybody, and somebody who's really into it who finds the scale/tempo etc values and shares them with the group. (I hope the whole piece is written in the same scale and tempo :)).

About the style: I don't think the fuzzy HR style lends itself very good for a piece where all instruments are recorded in such an individual way.  Therefore I suggest more of a TB clean mixing style, with a good sauce of Ommadawn and the Christmas singles (Porthsmouth, In Dulci Jubilo).  So 70's, but with distinct instruments rather than one sound pallette (HR). Maybe including the style elements of IDJ, Portsmouth and Blue peter would be nice. The happy, warm style of these short singles applied to a full blown piece :). We'd certainly need bells and bodhran then.  In this style, I hope the end results sounds like guiding you from one theme to the other in a warm comfortable atmosphere.  We sort of transform the eeryness/grandeur of TSODE into happiness. I think the melodies lend themselves to this end. Just whistle the first theme while happily shaking your head left to right, you'll get the idea :D.

It's just a wild idea...:)

Of course personal creativity of all people involved would be very welcome. Trying to be original while making it fit as a whole would be a very nice challenge.
Profile PM 
hiawatha Offline

Posted: Feb. 08 2006, 17:59

Quote (Nicolas @ Feb. 08 2006, 16:35)
giant MIDI enabled theatre organ hiawatha

If this looks like it might be possible at all, I'd better get with it right away to seek permission to access the thing. That might not be granted. If it is, I'm not a keyboard player, so I'd need a MIDI file to take to the place. Let me know.

In regards to the MIDI conversation, this is an usual situation of MIDI being used as a controller for a rather old antique instrument.

And Nicolas, your "analog giant theatre organ (and Moeck recorder) " is probably redundant to what I mentioned, which would be a reason why mine would not be needed.

--------------
- Song of Hiawatha
Profile PM 
Nicolas Offline

Posted: Feb. 08 2006, 18:14

That depends on how well you can play and how it sounds.  I'm not the best player by far. So you might be able to do solos I simply can't. And if it sounds different, we could use both to play duets :).

Do you play other instruments that could be used?

Edit: I got some more info on the organ. It's something completely different. We sure could use both!!
Profile PM 
85 replies since Feb. 07 2006, 18:25 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (5) < [1] 2 3 4 5 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net