Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (3) < [1] 2 3 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: The Songs of a Distant Earth, Just Magic...< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
SentinelGard Offline

Group: Members
Posted: June 18 2003, 03:26

The album "The Songs Of a Distant Earth" is a magical aray of sounds and melodies that can ,if in the right mood, take you beyound the releams of space and time.
It plays like a magical movie of dream like bliss and ,when in a mood of bad sorts, can chase away all your blues and sorrows...
        I take my Hat of to you MO..Wldone..

ITS MAGIC................

--------------
"Onwards & Upwards'"
Profile PM WEB 
MusicallyInspired Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: June 18 2003, 10:16

Indeed it is the best.

--------------
BrandonBlume.com
"The beauty in life is in the embracing of the variety of things. If all the world was blue there would be no colour blue."
Profile PM WEB 
Down Under Offline

Posted: June 18 2003, 17:07

I agree completely.  I find it difficult to to say it's anything but his best ever.
Profile PM 
TNT Offline

Posted: July 24 2003, 16:55

Best Mike Oldfield album.
Profile PM 
Mike Chadwick Offline

Posted: July 25 2003, 05:08

definitly the best...

--------------
kik-eze kik-eze
Profile PM 
kittyboo Offline

Posted: Aug. 11 2003, 09:44

Sure, this is a must-have, one of Mike's best.
Profile PM 
tubularbills Offline

Posted: Aug. 11 2003, 18:23

You mean MO fans are actually agreeing on something? no way! +sarcasm+

but yes, TSODE is a fantastic album. Although i'm not very fond of the last track "a new beginning" everything else is great.

--------------
Terrible, Wonderful, Crazy, Perfect.
Profile PM 
Tati The Sentinel Offline

Posted: Aug. 11 2003, 19:17

One of Mike´s finest works.I took some time to get through the album,and now is one of my favs.

--------------
"But it's always the outsider, the black sheep, that becomes the blockbuster." - Mike Oldfield, 2014

"I remember feeling that I'd been judged unfairly and that I was going to prove them wrong." - Peter Davison, 2011
Profile PM WEB 
Mike Chadwick Offline

Posted: Aug. 15 2003, 08:52

SONGS OF THE DISTANT EARTH were first MO album a have ever listened too.I was about 8 years old and i was really interested in space and stars stuff.i like d also musixc a bit too.My uncle gave my on my 8 (or 7 - i do not remeber exactly) birthaday the SOTDE tape.i listened also to VANGELIS "Oceanic" album then.i switched SOTDE on my small tape player and i heard a voice of some guy and some instrumental music...well, i didn't like it so much.i switched on VANGELIS (-; MIke then for me was some guy playing New age music, i didn't know any of his songs (even TB theme) but i saw when i was really young the video of THE BELL. i really liked it.
around 1999 i listened to Metal music and i read somwhere that MIke is a phenomenal guitarist and stuff like that....i put out the old SOTDE tape and switched it on...and from this moment Mike ruled my Music world (-;

Well, therefore Songs of distant earth have special place in my CD collection.and i still have the tape version...

--------------
kik-eze kik-eze
Profile PM 
Guimauve2 Offline

Posted: April 27 2004, 06:58

I just go TSODE yesterday.  It's just soooooo amazing, especially Magellan.
Profile PM 
navigator
Unregistered

Posted: July 05 2004, 15:06

First of all, I should apologize because my English is not very good, and I will probably make some gramatical errors...but I would like to say that I don´t like very much this album. In fact, it is for me one of the worse that Mike has ever composed; I think it is superficial and boring, with no message or essence, very cold, artificial and skilful. There is no songs which make me remember this work as other disc did before, like "Ommadawn" or "Heigest Ridge".
raven4x4x Offline

Posted: July 09 2004, 07:01

navigator, until very recently I would have agreed with you. Until prehaps two years ago I thought that this was just another average album, not the worst of all time but not the best. Now, however, I have completely changed my mind on the album. I think it's one of his best, probably in the top three of Oldfield albums. I love the guitar work, especially on Let there be Light and Crystal Clear, but mostly I love the way it transports you into the world of Arthur C. Clarke's book. It is a very different sounding album from any others except prehaps Tres Lunas, and it's an album I can just lose myself in.

--------------
Thank-you for helping us help you help us all.
Profile PM 
Sir Mustapha Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: July 09 2004, 07:09

With me, it was quite the opposite. I liked it quite a lot for some time, but when I took it for a really careful and thorough listen, I found myself disappointed: too void and insubstantial! To me, it only works as background music, and nothing more. I think I'll have to stick with Brian Eno and Jean Michel Jarre if I want atmosphere, after all.

--------------
Check out http://ferniecanto.com.br for all my music, including my latest albums: Don't Stay in the City, Making Amends and Builders of Worlds.
Also check my Bandcamp page: http://ferniecanto.bandcamp.com
Profile PM WEB 
JestersTear1
Unregistered

Posted: Sep. 17 2004, 11:13

I think it is superb - especially Ascension
Unregistered

Posted: Sep. 17 2004, 14:25

It's certainly one of mikes best as far as I'm concerned. But I HATE that fucking stupid african tribal singing at the end. Completely ruins the album. I always switch it off at that point.
Starwatcher Offline

Posted: Sep. 19 2004, 05:38

Yes, TanGram, I understand. For me too, the mood the album builds up when I listen to it is completely destroyed by the last track.
But we should consider: It is called "A newbeginning"... ;)

--------------
"...but every while I would remember..."
Profile PM 
Nightwolf
Unregistered

Posted: Jan. 17 2005, 14:01

Hello there!!

I discovered Mike Oldfield by The Album. I dont liked it the first time i listened it. I was on a car (yes, like the other guy)

BUT i give wanted another chance.... and another and...

Well, the armonic music... well i dont have words in english (nor spanish) to explain the feeling of that music causes over me.

Maybe its not Mike best work, but to me, its the best music i ever listen.

Just close your ayes, and listen carefully.

Indeed, is the Music of the Distant Earth... if some aliens listen it... :)

Mike, i want another Disc like this. Maybe not using Space theme, maybe oceanic (whales, delphins, yeeaahh) or underground caves, maybe history....

... return to the distant earth.
hiawatha Offline

Posted: Jan. 17 2005, 14:57

Quote (Guest @ Jan. 17 2005, 14:01)
Mike, i want another Disc like this.....underground caves, maybe history....

Ah. like "Land of the Lost":

Where last the Marshall Family'd gone...
Carried away on a raging river
The greatest earthquake ever known...
Struck their tiny raft, on a raging river
Lost down the river last saturday night
Far away on the other side.
They were caught in the middle of a doorway through time
And their tiny raft plunged and fell through...

----

Crystal matrix, crystal matrix.
What you gonna find in the crystal matrix?
What you gonna find in the crystal matrix?

Hearing hisses in the dark as the torch burns low.
Creeping through the Lost city tunnels, go!
Try to put a message through to your own time.
Enik, won't you help me? Is that such a crime?

Enik won't you teach me the crystal matrix?
Ranni, can you reach me? crystal matrix.

(I bet no-one has any idea what this is about)

--------------
"In the land of the Dacotahs,
Where the Falls of Minnehaha
Flash and gleam among the oak-trees,
Laugh and leap into the valley."
- Song of Hiawatha
Profile PM 
farabovetheclouds Offline

Posted: April 18 2005, 07:39

Hello all!

This is my first post, so forgive me if it all goes a bit kerfuffled! :p

I only heard this album about two years ago, (which is rather bizarre as i was braught up on Mike Oldfield) and i thaught this album was pure magic. Ive heard so many people saying that it is too heavily influenced on electronic sounds. But i can still hear the classic strangled cat guitar in there! As said in previous posts this album is out of the ordinary. you are sent into such a wonderful trance when you listen to this album. perfect for chilling out to, especally if you hate the world, because you are not on it! ;)

does the book great justice too! :D
Profile PM 
Alan D Offline

Posted: April 18 2005, 09:15

Quote (farabovetheclouds @ April 18 2005, 12:39)
pure magic.

Yes it is. I was listening to it again recently, and extending that experience by listening afterwards to live performances of some of the parts. I believe it's a masterpiece, taken as a whole. And although Mike's guitar-playing has reached great heights time and time again, I'm not sure that he ever did anything better than 'Let There Be Light': different, yes, but not better.
Profile PM 
59 replies since June 18 2003, 03:26 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (3) < [1] 2 3 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net