Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: The Shadows-Wonderful Land< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
mirwais57 Offline

Group: Members
Posted: April 05 2002, 23:15

Yes. The Shadows did Wonderful Land in 1962. Jerry Lordan wrote it after The shadows asked him to, i think. It actually got to number one and stayed there for 9 weeks, so I can see why MO did a copy of it.

It actually pretty cool. I've only got it on LP so I can't copy it for anyone.

Has anyone else done a copy of Wonderful Land? Please tell me if they have cause its a really cool tune

--------------
http://www.mp3.com/57_13/
http://www.angelfire.com/electronic2/57_ttpo_13/

NB: Avatar = Mirwais himself.
Profile PM WEB 
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: April 06 2002, 15:12

Hank Marvin later recorded a version of it with Mark Knopfler.

I believe that the idea of Mike covering the tune came from one of Virgin's executives, who was a bit of a Shadows fan.
Mike has also said before that he liked The Shadows, and used to cover their tunes with a group he played in as a young teenager.
Profile PM 
Holger Offline

Posted: April 05 2003, 13:45

Tony Iommi of Black Sabbath has done a cover of it! I'm not 100% sure it's Wonderful Land but he definitely covered a Shadows tune for some sampler. Unfortunately I haven't heard this yet. He has at one point stated that they're his favourite band! There's also a Black Sabbath song with a string section that reminds me very strongly of that in Wonderful Land. Can't remember which one, right now. I'll check this and also whether the cover song was really Wonderful Land.
Profile PM 
Bonsignore Offline

Posted: Dec. 11 2003, 23:23

It's hard to reproduce and capture the special mood of this brilliant song, but Mike was successful...even more, because both songs (Wonderful land/Arrival) could have just as well been written by himself... :D
Profile PM 
Holger Offline

Posted: Mar. 26 2007, 06:41

Heh, so I guess I'm very late with this, but you can hear a snippet of Tony Iommi's version here. As much as I love Black Sabbath, I think I prefer Mike's version to what I'm hearing there!  :laugh:
Profile PM 
qjamesfloyd Offline

Posted: April 28 2014, 07:32

I have always loved Mike's version if Wonderful Land, but I also love the original Shadows version, and I like the Hank Marvin & Mark Knopfler version, it's unusual for me to like the original plus 2 covers as much as each other. I think Mike put's his on stamp on it, and I actually like the video to it too. I guess it was a natural thing for Mike to cover a Shadows track some time. And nice of them to return the favour with Moonlight Shadow.
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: Feb. 07 2018, 19:41

I've just found this video of "Wonderful Land". I don't think I've seen one of Mike playing the violin before.

https://www.vevo.com/watch/mike-oldfield/wonderful-land/GBUV71200909
Profile PM 
6 replies since April 05 2002, 23:15 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net