Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: The Samchillian musical instrument, Designed by an Amarok fan?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Thea Cochrane Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: Nov. 14 2010, 11:11

This is an interesting looking musical instrument/controller, but of more interest to some people here might be the little reference to the Margaret Thatcher bit from Amarok in the credits at the end.

http://www.vimeo.com/2307414
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Nov. 14 2010, 19:00

Nice. :cool: But I can't exactly understand how the thing is played.

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
fragile Offline

Posted: Nov. 15 2010, 03:29

this is only one of thousand different midi controllers....no one needs  :zzz:
Profile PM 
Scatterplot Offline

Posted: Nov. 15 2010, 13:34

Looks to me like a midi controller you dial up a root note on, then punch an interval button to play a 3rd, 5th, etc. As it claims, it might provide speed. Only monophonic. But you don't need a music theory class to figure that out on a keyboard. Looks more like it would slow anyone down. With a pitch bend control too, wowie. IE, it's a dumb stage prop. Looks like something that would appeal to Mike Myers on Sat. nite live circa 10-15 years ago when he did the "Sprockets" skits.

--------------
We raise our voices in the night
Crying to heaven
And will our voices be heard
Or will they break Like the wind
Profile PM 
Thea Cochrane Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: Nov. 15 2010, 14:43

I was more posting it for the Oldfield connection than anything, but I find this range of controllers that aren't based around the piano keyboard quite interesting. Stuff like the Korg Kaossilator, AXiS-64, Haken Continuum, Reactable, Eigenharp, or even the Tenori-On might encourage people who don't play piano-style keyboards to get into making music, or might take you in a different direction if you are used to a keyboard.

But it makes me wonder how many people in the music industry now were inspired initially by Mike Oldfield's stuff. Certainly sound designer extraordinaire Diego Stocco mentions Mike on his piece "Music from Sand".
Profile PM 
wiga Offline

Posted: Nov. 15 2010, 14:56

Quote (Mat Cochrane @ Nov. 15 2010, 19:43)
I was more posting it for the Oldfield connection than anything,

Interesting how he ends his credits with "endings are just beginnings." I wonder if he got it from Amarok or somewhere else - I suppose it's a philosophical saying that's been around a while.

Just watched again, and it says "AS WE ALL KNOW endings are just beginnings" so defo from Amarok's Maggie Thatcher.  :cool:

--------------
Barn's burnt down - now I can see the moon.
Profile PM 
5 replies since Nov. 14 2010, 11:11 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net