Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: The Sallyangie - Children Of The Sun reissue< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Matt Offline

Group: Admins
Posted: Sep. 21 2011, 09:37

In the late '60s Mike recorded a number of tracks with his sister Sally as folk duo The Sallyangie. Their album Children Of The Sun is being reissued by Esoteric Records on 26th September 2011. Track listings and preorder information are available online for instance at amazon.co.uk. The reissue includes two tracks not previously available on CD - Child of Allah and Lady go Lightly.

Thanks Vojtech

--------------
"I say I say I say I say, what's got three bottles and five eyes and no legs and two wheels"
Profile PM 
Matt Offline

Posted: Sep. 21 2011, 15:27

Ugo queried in a previous mention of this reissue whether the two "new" tracks involved Mike. Any takers? As far as I can gather they were recorded in 1969 but not released for three years for some reason. One of the tracks "Sweet child of Allah" made it's way onto Sally's solo album "Water Bearer" released in 1978. The album sleeve notes don't seem to credit Mike but is that just an oversight?

Below is Sweet Child of Allah. Certainly has guitar in it which I can believe could be Mike but anyone with a better ear than me know for sure? Also has some backing vocals (e.g. at 0:46 in the clip below) that sound similar to me to the sort of vocal contribution he made to other Sallyangie songs.

Thoughts?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nOcS0IXsvNs

--------------
"I say I say I say I say, what's got three bottles and five eyes and no legs and two wheels"
Profile PM 
0+1(I1) Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Sep. 21 2011, 16:33

I do not know if this has the answers you seek

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Water_Bearer

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sally_Oldfield

--------------
L◎ST ◎MMADAWN VERSI◎N RIDDLE ANSWER
 mIChaeI GOrDOn OIDfIeId.
=  I C   1  G◎D   OO ID I I
or replace the L's that were turned in to I's & 1 gets
ID◎L G◎LD ID◎L (4 ANSWER IN FULL + EXPLANATION, C ALBUM SECTION/☮MMADAWN/i-say-i-say-i-say-i-say-in-answer4XXX4Acr⊕ss
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Sep. 21 2011, 18:20

I've always thought that the Sally tracks issued as bonuses on the previous 2002 release and on this one, starting from "Colour of the World" and "Two Ships", do not involve Mike. Even if they were recorded in 1969 I find it unlikely that Mike would get involved in songs whose overall style is completely and utterly different, on a musical and purely sonical level (too echoey, too polished, not folky at all), from the Sallyangie album. The album and the songs don't even share the same producer. On the Sallyangie section of his YAMOWS (Yet Another Mike Oldfield Web Site), David Bennett (who used to post here as Gandalph) also expresses his doubts about Mike's involvement in the Sally solo tracks. The writing credit for "Lady Go Lightly" is just plainly wrong, just like most of the the credits on the 2002 release. I hope the new one corrects those.

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
daulfes Offline

Posted: Sep. 22 2011, 07:49

Hello friends.

Just a quick comment to "Sweet Child Of Allah / Lady Go Lightly".

These two songs originally appeared on the Philips label, while "Two ships / Colours of the World" appeared on the Transatlantic label, which also issued the original Sallyangie LP. Productionwise, the Philips songs differ a lot from the Transatlantic recordings. My guess would be Mike participated on all Transatlantic sessions, but quite obviously, the Philips takes have very little resemblance to these sessions.
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Sep. 22 2011, 08:13

Hello daulfes. Well, to my own ears, "2 Ships" and "Colours" are also very different from the Sallyangie album, in spite of the label (the 2002 booklet says 1970, not 1969). The style of the two songs I mentioned above also has, IMHO, very little resemblance to what Mike did on the album. :)

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
Airborne Offline

Posted: Sep. 22 2011, 11:38

Mike left The Sallyangie, and Sally continued as a solo act, from March 1969. He may well appear on the first single but certainly not the second.
Profile PM 
Matt Offline

Posted: Sep. 22 2011, 12:44

I pinged an E-mail through to Esoteric records about this. Their response was that they did *not* think that Mike was involved in these two additional recordings.....

The evidence mounts!

--------------
Profile PM 
stpaul Offline

Posted: Sep. 22 2011, 15:39

Both songs were later used by Sally and they are only credited to her.
It was already stated here that Sweet Child of Allah became in 1978 Child of Allah on her album Water Bearer
And Lady Goe Lightly became Broken Mona Lisa. It was released as a-side of a not very famous 7" in 1982.
Profile PM 
Matt Offline

Posted: Sep. 22 2011, 16:40

Airborne, wikipedia (ok, not the most reliable of sources! ) says Sallyangie split up in "fall of 1969". Any good source for your March date?

I've had a look at Changeling to see if that sheds any light, not a lot really, some quotes below about Sallyangie and the Children of the Sun album:
"Then the album came out - it was called Children of the Sun"
"We toured around for about a year"
"We did a few sessions in the studio for a follow-up to the first album. I was doing various acoustic guitar improvisations...."
"Just afterwords, I told Sally I wanted to do my own music and didn't want to play with her anymore. For some reason Transatlantic didn't carry on with just my sister...."

Nothing that really confirms anything about the two new tracks, particularly nothing concrete on timings. Does kinda agree with the "transatlantic might have involved Mike, everything after that didn't" idea?

--------------
Profile PM 
Airborne Offline

Posted: Sep. 22 2011, 19:14

Quote (Matt @ Sep. 22 2011, 21:40)
Any good source for your March date?

The Sallyangie were booked to play at The Royal Festival Hall on March 24, 1969. It was part of a "Folk meets Pop" evening with other artists, including Fairport Convention and Al Stewart, and compered by John Peel. According to a conversation I had with Terry Oldfield, Mike left just before the concert and Sally had to go on by herself. The programme for the concert still features both of them. As Mike himself says, they must have just started sessions for a follow up by then - the first album being released at the beginning of November 1968. He didn't like the direction in which they were being pushed, but it was still a brave thing to do at 15 and on the eve of a possible big break.

Profile PM 
SimonUK Offline

Posted: Sep. 27 2011, 18:03

I ordered a version from ebay that said in the track listing it had some BBC session tracks on. When it arrived at the weekend it didnt. It was a listing error. It is still listed on ebay but is the version that was released a few years ago with the 6 tracks on cd 2. Be warned!

--------------
"I want something good to die for, to make it beautiful to live"
(Josh Homme, from Queens Of The Stone Age - 'Go With The Flow').
Profile PM 
11 replies since Sep. 21 2011, 09:37 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net