Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: The Remarkable Parallel Careers of Oldfield &Jarre< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Sentinel_NZ Offline

Group: Members
Posted: May 27 2023, 21:17

When you think about it, the respective careers of Mike Oldfield and Jean-Michel Jarre share some astonishing & uncanny parallels and synchronicities.  

They both released definitive, genre-defining, even genre-establishing, timeless new age/progressive rock albums in the mid 70s (Tubular Bells 1973, Oxygene 1976).

Tubular Bells and Oxygene are both roughly said to have sold around 15 million+ copies.

Both released equally seminal 2nd or 3rd albums in the same decade (Ommadawn 1975, Equinox 1978 - not counting Jarre's first two minor [non]releases).

Both released highly successful sequels to their debut in the 90s (Tubular Bells 2/3 1992/98, Oxygene 7-13, 1997)

Both released trilogies based on their debut album: Tubular Bells I-III, and Oxygene, Oxygene 7-13, & Oxygene 3.

In the 1980s both branched out into exciting, eclectic and highly original new styles.

Both released sequels to their 2nd or 3rd seminal release in the late 2010s, which both ended up being among their greatest ever work (Return to Ommadawn 2017, Equinoxe Infinity 2018).

Both their careers more or less span exactly the same time (Both released their first albums in 1973 and their last important album - with all respect to Oxymore - in either 2017 or 2018).

Jarre has 22 studio albums. Oldfield 26.  

Both continued to produce some of their finest work well into their late 60s, something virtually unheard of in popular or any music.

I find it very difficult to believe that the one hasn't been basing their career moves on the other, either consciously or otherwise; or else some sublime mysterious natural external synchronizing influence has been at work.

What's perhaps most fascinating is that they not only never worked together but don't appear to have even ever spoken about each other, if they have been influenced , inspired, rivaled etc either one by the other.

Now, when we start to further look at the life and works of Vangelis, this introduces a whole extra layer in intrigue and coincidental circumstances.  Another time perhaps.
Profile PM 
larstangmark Offline

Posted: May 28 2023, 04:48

Quote (Sentinel_NZ @ May 27 2023, 21:17)
hat's perhaps most fascinating is that they not only never worked together but don't appear to have even ever spoken about each other, if they have been influenced , inspired, rivaled etc either one by the other.

"Jean-Michel Jarre and the dentist"

https://domino.elfworld.org/mike-ol....with-me

--------------
"There are twelve people in the world, the rest are paste"
Mark E Smith
Profile PM WEB 
Sentinel_NZ Offline

Posted: May 28 2023, 22:45

Quote (larstangmark @ May 28 2023, 04:48)
hat's perhaps most fascinating is that they not only never worked together but don't appear to have even ever spoken about each other, if they have been influenced , inspired, rivaled etc either one by the other.

Great interview thanks, hadn't read that.  Very interesting ;)  Even the thought of the two greatest musicians of the last 60 odd if not 100+ years (IMHumbleO) working together, the potential is almost too much for the mind to conceive.
Profile PM 
Elf Offline

Posted: May 30 2023, 07:04

Quote (Sentinel_NZ @ May 28 2023, 22:45)
Quote (larstangmark @ May 28 2023, 04:48)

Great interview thanks, hadn't read that.  Very interesting ;)  Even the thought of the two greatest musicians of the last 60 odd if not 100+ years (IMHumbleO) working together, the potential is almost too much for the mind to conceive.

I was the one who did that interview (it's my blog), and a short while later, Jarre's management contacted me to hear if I had Oldfield's contact information...

It's been quite a few years, so I doubt anything will come out of it, but it's interesting to ponder.
Profile PM 
Platinumpty Offline

Posted: May 31 2023, 04:55

Great interview! I do think maybe collaboration could get Mike out of the funk he appears to be in. I mean it worked for MOTR and the Tubular Beats album. Plus, at the thought of a Jarre / Oldfield collaboration, the record companies would be ecstatic and I’d expect it to be marketed to hell and back!
Profile PM WEB 
Sentinel_NZ Offline

Posted: June 01 2023, 21:54

Quote (Elf @ May 30 2023, 07:04)
I was the one who did that interview (it's my blog), and a short while later, Jarre's management contacted me to hear if I had Oldfield's contact information...

It's been quite a few years, so I doubt anything will come out of it, but it's interesting to ponder.

Great stuff!  Thank you :)  Some great insights there.  Shame nothing ever came of the Jarre/Oldfield correspondence.
Profile PM 
Sentinel_NZ Offline

Posted: June 01 2023, 22:15

Quote (Platinumpty @ May 31 2023, 04:55)
I do think maybe collaboration could get Mike out of the funk he appears to be in.

Did someone say funk? :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lyhVPQPhwB4
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: June 03 2023, 22:36

Funkadiddle, perhaps  :D
Profile PM 
Sentinel_NZ Offline

Posted: June 08 2023, 15:17

Quote (nightspore @ June 03 2023, 22:36)
Funkadiddle, perhaps  :D

Punk and funk are two fascinating words, in their modern usage anyway.  Both came to be applied to distinct musical genres that sprang up in the 70s; the words sound almost identical but the music forms are very different and their etymologies totally unique.

The word funk appears to have its origin in Sanskrit "dhuma", "smoky", which seems to have become Latin fumus, "smoke, fume", hence the traditional meaning of the word (funky): "musty, smelly, moldy" (for the last, c.f. fungus).  

Michael Jackson's Thriller played on the twin meanings of the word: "The funk of 40,000 years", referring both to the undead stars of the song & video and Quincy Jones' immortal technique.

Punk appears to have originally meant a prostitute or young (male) consort for a nobleman and hence appears to find its origin in Sanskrit panch (=pach), "matured, adult".

Although note that there is a sense of the word punk that means "a tree wood beset by fungus", and one speculative derivation also links the word punk to the equally colorful word spunk which it is suggested is a blending of the words spark and funk although frunkly I think some overzealous academician may be punking us there.

In short, Punkadiddle it remains, although (let's not deny it) "Spunk-a-diddle" has its own undeniable venereal charm and in that sense could conceivably benefit from a lyrical interpolation of Chuck Berry's "My ding-a-ling, my ding-a-ling, I want you to play with my ding-a-ling".
Profile PM 
qjamesfloyd Offline

Posted: June 09 2023, 02:14

I can enjoy lots of different styles of music, but Punk does absolutely nothing for me!!
Profile PM 
Sentinel_NZ Offline

Posted: June 09 2023, 18:24

Quote (qjamesfloyd @ June 09 2023, 02:14)
I can enjoy lots of different styles of music, but Punk does absolutely nothing for me!!

Fair comment, but like everything there's good and bad punk.  The bad: Sex Pistols, Ramones and many more.  The good: The Clash, Rancid. Green Day, Offspring (not all of their works, obviously; all these bands have released rubbish along with the goods).

There is in the same way also good and bad progressive/new age....for example: (virtually) anything Mike Oldfield, good; Tales of Topographic Oceans, absolutely dreadful.

London Calling remains one of the greatest albums of all time although you couldnt really call it a "punk" album since it is more of a straight ahead mainstream power pop/rock set (ironically, since The Clash started out mocking the like of The Beatles), with bits of dub, reggae,  and so on thrown in.
Profile PM 
10 replies since May 27 2023, 21:17 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net