Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (11) < 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 ... >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: The Quotable TubularBoard, (the joy of quoting out of context)< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Sweetpea Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Sep. 19 2007, 02:30

Quote (Ugo @ Sep. 18 2007, 16:35)
Can you please tell me, Sweetpea, what album (title) did I write this about? Was it a Mike album? [I think so... :D]

Ugo, I believe it was in reference to Light + Shade when the album was still under the unofficial 'working title' of Quicksilver. I spent some time in the dusty back reaches of the 'News' forum, the other night, in search of goodies. Some of those debates over L+S were quite intense and my neck and shoulders stiffened up from being hunched over my keyboard, mesmerized. I think I deserve chocolate for my efforts.

Quote (Alan D @ Sep. 18 2007, 16:11)
I had to look up what a Hefeweizen was, and I wonder what that implies.

I'm no beer aficionado (which I had to look up because spellchecker balked at my attempted 'officianado' - hehe), Alan - it's just what happened to be in the fridge at the time. And thank you for saving me time and effort in tracking down your quote. Judging from the realistic horror conveyed in your poem, I suspect it's based on a true-life experience. So, fess up - what is the 'POOPY' album??

--------------
"I'm no physicist, but technically couldn't Mike both be with the horse and be flying through space at the same time? (On account of the earth's orbit around the Sun and all that). So it seems he never had to make the choice after all. I bet he's kicking himself now." - clotty
Profile PM 
Alan D Offline

Posted: Sep. 19 2007, 03:49

Quote (Sweetpea @ Sep. 19 2007, 07:30)
Judging from the realistic horror conveyed in your poem, I suspect it's based on a true-life experience. So, fess up - what is the 'POOPY' album??

Well, my epic ode was composed in an explosive creative burst last night, in anticipation of a possible future event. I'll let you know when I find an appropriate album to attach it to.
Profile PM 
Sweetpea Offline

Posted: Sep. 19 2007, 20:11

It's a positive falling asleep, as opposed to a "this is sooo boring *snore*" falling asleep! - Ebony

I like Mikes song lyrics and I like the music in his songs, I just don't like the songs - TubularBelle

To you Ob-La-Di Ob-La-Da by the Beatles is "a ridiculously catchy and fun piece of ska-like pop", while to me it is probably the most annoying song of all time. - raven4x4x

30 years ago I used a typewriter to write articles; now I use a computer. Does this make me lazy? No. All it does is give me more control over my writing. If you have the innate ability, you can write a masterpiece with a computer or with a sharp wooden stick dipped in mud (if you have to). - Alan D

If you mean "can" as in "is able to" the answer is yes. And if you mean "can" as in "is allowed to by fans", the answer is clearly no - Navaira

I ran across a listing for "Tubular Bells" online. It credited 3 or 4 musicians, including Mike, Sally, and the Piltdown Man. - hiawatha

--------------
"I'm no physicist, but technically couldn't Mike both be with the horse and be flying through space at the same time? (On account of the earth's orbit around the Sun and all that). So it seems he never had to make the choice after all. I bet he's kicking himself now." - clotty
Profile PM 
Sweetpea Offline

Posted: Sep. 23 2007, 23:35

if I feel frustrated that Mike isn't making new albums every day, I'll go and put on a Radiohead album instead of crucifying him! - Sir Mustapha

it does seem daft to suggest that those who are sceptical about the profundity of the gimmicks on Tomorrow Never Knows are the would-be stiflers of the progress of rock music! - Alan D

Sometimes one needs to rock out to a bit of Dancing Queen - arron11196

Good picture, but why does he have "25" written next to him. Is it a lot number and he's for sale :p - Matt

PLEASE give Mike a break,what do you want?Blood? - qjamesfloyd

I'm still waiting for the Voyager action figure. - Holger

I don't know why people bother with April Fools jokes anymore, because it just does'nt work. - qjamesfloyd

Joan Collins is writing Mike's autobiograhy?? Wow! Great!! - ImAFoolAndImLaughing

And, for something a little different... my nomination for funniest thread title: "Mike wants his guitars back" by Olivier.

--------------
Profile PM 
Sweetpea Offline

Posted: Oct. 01 2007, 02:32

Please don't tell me that people on here are turning into tubular 'train spotters'... next there'll be a news item that someone overheard somebody else whistling something that sounded like it could have been tubular bells on the bus. - Ginger Daddy

the sole most important thing is that oh-my-gawd Musica Universalis is actually a SUBTLE and NECESSARY and MELODIC climax and doesn't try to blow my eardrums off for 5 minutes like blasted evil see-you-in-hell Far Above the Clouds. - Sir Mustapha

During the interview mike said he was now living in the wild wild rootin tootin string vest west, turnip's for breakfast marry your sister ooh aar string for a belt women with moustache's asbo capital of the UK, but where. Don't say Wilstshire unless you have slept with assorted barnyard creature's.  - The Big BellEnd

Sometimes I feel that putting a smile at the end would make all the difference - The Bell(end)

Mike must have seen the exposed DVD and thought"god i was bloody good,i,ll go back to that". - hergest fridge

I dont think any of the guest performers appear to be unhapppy in the clips i have seen, unless of course some of you have downloaded more illegal material!!! - Ratty

--------------
Profile PM 
TubularBelle Offline

Posted: Oct. 01 2007, 20:53

It's a positive falling asleep, as opposed to a "this is sooo boring *snore*" falling asleep! - Ebony

I like Mikes song lyrics and I like the music in his songs, I just don't like the songs - TubularBelle

The first one I like because I played the new album for my Michael last night and he fell asleep after 5 minutes, when he woke up and I told him off about it, he said pretty much the same thing. "It's a compliment"

Michael took me for a 45 minute drive through the hills last night so I could listen to it in the car, and I laid back with my eyes closed but occasionally opened them to see if the lights flashing by would enhance my experience any. I won't comment re my thoughts on the album until it's official release except to say that I love it. And apart from a slightly distracting Movie Score feel to it, the ethereal Enyaesque singing is by far my favourite part (apologies to Kay for a comment I made in Messenger).
And the best thing about it, NO ANNOYING POP SONG!!!!!

Which brings me to my quoted comment above, I honestly don't remember saying that and it does sound a bit silly doesn't it. Oh well, I knew what I meant, I think?!

--------------
I hate getting up early. I didn't even realise there were two 6 o'clocks in one day!
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Oct. 02 2007, 09:54

"Clearly there is only one credible answer. He is dying. Or his hands have been chopped off." - Marky, from the discussion about the delay on the release date of MotS.

"You know what I'm talking about. You've killed him haven't you?? I'm going to the police with this. Oh no, they're on tour." - Marky, replying to Ian, from the same discussion.

:laugh:

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
Sweetpea Offline

Posted: Oct. 02 2007, 17:28

Quote (TubularBelle @ Oct. 01 2007, 20:53)
I honestly don't remember saying that and it does sound a bit silly doesn't it. Oh well, I knew what I meant, I think?!

:O I knew someone would get suspicious eventually. *hastily dismantles 'TubularBoard Random Fictional Quote & Cheese Dispenser'*

It's from Fave EM Track in the Earth Moving forum, TubularBelle. That discussion inspired me to play the album again, recently, resulting in newly discovered attractions.

--------------
Profile PM 
Alan D Offline

Posted: Oct. 02 2007, 17:32

Quote (Sweetpea @ Oct. 02 2007, 22:28)
I knew someone would get suspicious eventually. *hastily dismantles 'TubularBoard Random Fictional Quote & Cheese Dispenser'*

Oh!! I missed out! I didn't know it could do cheese as well!
Profile PM 
Sweetpea Offline

Posted: Oct. 02 2007, 17:42

Quote (Alan D @ Oct. 02 2007, 17:32)
I didn't know it could do cheese as well!

Oh, it doesn't do cheese nearly as well as quotes. They pop out in the form of pellets. But that's gouda enough for mousetraps and punnage.

--------------
Profile PM 
Sweetpea Offline

Posted: Oct. 02 2007, 23:08

TSODE is my favourite synth album, Mike Oldfield album, instrumental album, based-on-a-book album, and all around music soundtrack out of anything I've ever heard. It's the best music in the world...my world anyway lol. With Only Time Will Tell being the best song ever created ever...anywhere anytime.....ever. - MusicallyInspired

I was amazed that such an artificial, repetitive and nearly plain annoying sound could actually fit into an album! - raven4x4x

Amarok won't hurt you - it's just being friendly in a more mischievous way - ImAFoolAndImLaughing

Best MO album for swimming underwater when doing apnea or snorkeling: TBII. I've tried it on a waterproof Discman with waterproof earphones, and, trust me, it works really well. - Ugo

I think Mike ought to do a Tubulars Bells II 2 - CuNimb

Go ahead and rip my head off my neck, but if I ever have to do a commercial for some furniture store selling sofas and chairs, I'll keep Clear Light within reach. - Sir Mustapha

Hergest Ridge can be great for traffic jams. Especially the quieter sections, I just want to stay stuck in traffic for longer! - Matt

Hergest Ridge again.  I really need to get that album - Ebony

I dont get it Sir M. How can you say TSODE is background music and Jarre gives you atmosphere. Surely you have got this the wrong way round???? - Ratty

it has the best bass layout of nearly all of the albums , I have two 10" Subs in the back seat of my car powered by 100rms of power which can make this album a real earth moving experience..  Boooooooooom  Boooooooom. - SentinelGard

now I am confused, what is worse, no iron or no trampoline? I must pick out a MO album that is best suited for listening to whilst sat in the fridge,,, you've got fridges right? - The Big BellEnd

I think I might have waited for the pleasure of seeing TBBE produce his own punchline, and then might have followed through with a comment about Hergest Fridge being Mike's first Chill-out album. But you can never really successfully follow one of TBBE's quips, so I suspect I'd have decided to leave well alone. - Alan D

after a game of naked Twister the chance's of  bouncing up and down may be innevitable. - The Big BellEnd

...and God said, "Let there be Mike." - Crossfire

--------------
Profile PM 
Sweetpea Offline

Posted: Oct. 08 2007, 02:58

there's nothing quite so limp as a badly explained little joke, is there? Where's The Big BellEnd! I need him to come and cut all this verbiage of mine down to size! - Alan D

Shocked to discover my future will include acquiring the power to influence and manipulate others, I've struggled all week with moral discomfort. - Pendragon

Help me, somebody! Mike Oldfield is threatening my agnosticism! - Sir Mustapha

The first time i heard Sentinel, i nearly passed out. - stig

I am on the verge of writing a love letter to Mike. - Archangel Foster

Just give me a 'dooooiiiiing' near the end and I'm happy - Rob Miles

Does this man ever go to bed? - ian

--------------
Profile PM 
Alan D Offline

Posted: Oct. 08 2007, 15:58

Sweetpea, on the little-known link between Mike Oldfield and the growing of mushrooms:

I am curious to know which albums (or even individual pieces) are the most 'fungal', so to speak.
Profile PM 
Sweetpea Offline

Posted: Oct. 09 2007, 15:37

Have I mentioned that I looooooove mushrooms?  :D

--------------
Profile PM 
Sweetpea Offline

Posted: Oct. 10 2007, 01:18

Who'd have thought- a topic devoted to which drink goes with which album? Next we'll have the full meal, dress code and serviette colour - TimHighfield

Of course, macaroni is a good tubular shape...how about making 'bells' out of that? - Korgscrew

I know this is a really unimportant question, but then, we are posting unimportant questions all the time here, aren't we? - Archangel Foster

Looks like you're being followed by a moonshadow (moonshadow, moonshadow), not carried away by a moonlight shadow. - TimHighfield

the only violence that could be directed to you is that your friend would catch you by your shirt shouting in your face "gimme more ! gimme more ! we didn't listen everything ! gimme more !" - GMOVJ

--------------
Profile PM 
Sweetpea Offline

Posted: Oct. 12 2007, 14:47

when i told the plumber "Can you curved very smoothly a pipe to make a sort of cross with it ?" he told me, "Yes, it must be possible, but why do you want that ? You don't need it in your bathroom, I already fixed everything !" - GMOVJ

While having breakfast in a noisy communal room somewhere in Cardiff you hear the unmistakable theme of 'The Sentinel' being played suddenly. It lasts for about 20 seconds and it suddenly fades out. The world goes back to normal and you think 'Oh, it must be withdrawal symptoms' - Jammer

It takes a fanatic to bounce a 7+ years old thread on a Mike Oldfield message board without flinching!! - larstangmark

And what will you say about the one, who listens to The Songs Of Distant Earth on his knees? - Alex

blowing up pictures (like the Inc cover) to create life sized cut-outs of Mike is probably the ultimate sign of MO fanaticism...has anyone got there yet? - Korgscrew

If someone starts sentences that can be turned into oldfield lyrics, I complete the sentence... e.g. "I need you on my side" reply: "when there's a crises" "you can't stay" reply "your no loser, theres still time to ride that train" - stig

But that isn't how a serious MO fan should be doing things at all...No, if you're really dedicated, you will construct a rack in the shape of the 'tubular bell' (preferably using pieces of old furniture, in true rock and roll fashion) which will hold your CDs in true MO style. Real hard-core fans will also incorporate lights, preferably flashing and brightly coloured. A large picture of Mike in the centre, again lit up, is optional. - Korgscrew

Have you looked at other posts and said to yourself, "OH NO! I'M ONE OF THEM!" - Fox

--------------
Profile PM 
moonchildhippy Offline

Posted: Oct. 13 2007, 16:22

Quote (Sweetpea @ Oct. 12 2007, 18:47)
blowing up pictures (like the Inc cover) to create life sized cut-outs of Mike is probably the ultimate sign of MO fanaticism...has anyone got there yet? - Korgscrew

No not the Incantations cover :p , I'd do that with Ommadawn if any cover :D .  I guess Incantations is the ultimate case of you shouldn't judge an album by it's cover. The Incantations cover gives me the heebie-jeebies   :O .

--------------
I'm going slightly mad,
It finally happened, I'm slightly mad , just very slightly mad

If you feel a little glum to Hergest Ridge you should come.

I'm challenging  taboos surrounding mental health

"Part time hippy"

I'M SUPPORTING OUR SOLDIERS

BRING OUR TROOPS HOME NOW!!
Profile PM 
Piltdownboy on horseback 22 Offline

Posted: Oct. 14 2007, 04:21

Quote (moonchildhippy @ Oct. 13 2007, 16:22)
Quote (Sweetpea @ Oct. 12 2007, 18:47)

No not the Incantations cover :p , I'd do that with Ommadawn if any cover :D .  I guess Incantations is the ultimate case of you shouldn't judge an album by it's cover. The Incantations cover gives me the heebie-jeebies   :O .

Shall we trade then??

I'll have the Incantations cover blow up anytime, he looks great there to me,
then you can have my life-like Ommadawn puppet!
:D

--------------
"And now we're going to play Platinum!"
Profile PM 
Sweetpea Offline

Posted: Oct. 14 2007, 04:21

Quote (moonchildhippy @ Oct. 13 2007, 16:22)
I guess Incantations is the ultimate case of you shouldn't judge an album by it's cover. The Incantations cover gives me the heebie-jeebies   :O .

LOL. I have yet to understand why the Incantations cover is so actively disliked. Is it a case of a vocal minority, or does the image somehow flout all laws regarding what is artistically acceptable? Admittedly, I only have the CD and I've never been exposed to the larger LP version. Maybe I'm just missing out on the full horrific effect?

It was hard to pick the first selection, what with 95% of his stuff getting 5 stars and everyone calling each one their favourite album. -gregrobson

We're not into law-breaking here. I thought it sort of went without saying that anyone under the age of 14/16/18/21 (whatever it may be in your part of the world) wouldn't be able to claim their free beer. Also, there are some people driving. Not only that, being a virtual beer, it contains virtual alcohol so you get virtually drunk. Compare this to real beer, where real people get really drunk. The benefit of the virtual beer, is that even the drivers can have one! - ChiRho

Can I just say, in my opinion of course, that what was a rather interesting topic at one point (I forget when) has deteriorated into one of, if not the, most pointless topics I've ever read. Yes, even more pointless than the MO Quiz after the ~50th reply. And most of my topics. - TimHighfield

I don't care that you all hate it thats your loss and not mine, I'll just have it all to myself. TOBY

"Songs Of Distant Earth" has gotta be the soundtrack to the greatest science fiction movie never made. - Wanderer

Do you think Mike has considered scoring imaginary films? - TimHighfield

How do any of you know that Tres Lunas sounds like typical porn film music? Are you all experts on the genre? - Man In The Rain

if you ask Mike Oldfield if he's god, he'll tell you he isn't...I find the idea of someone being god without knowing it quite amusing actually - Korgscrew

"Britney" was actually nominated for a Grammy(?)... this fact, coupled with George Bush's grandstanding of late is as sure a sign as any of the impending armageddon... hence I intend to enjoy my MO albums whilst I still can. Wanderer

--------------
Profile PM 
ImAFoolAndImLaughing Offline

Posted: Oct. 17 2007, 17:23

Sweetpea on "Mike Oldfield vs. Busta Rhymes":

[...] Even though I have an urge to scrub my ears out afterwards, it's kinda fun.

--------------
"I was in this prematurely air conditioned supermarket and there were these bathing caps you could buy that had these kind of Fourth of July plumes on them that were red and yellow and blue and I wasn't tempted to buy one but I was reminded of the fact that I had been avoiding the beach."
Profile PM 
203 replies since Aug. 12 2007, 05:13 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (11) < 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 ... >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net