Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (11) < 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 ... >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: The Quotable TubularBoard, (the joy of quoting out of context)< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Sweetpea Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Sep. 08 2007, 01:35

Quote (Amarok of Distant Earth @ Sep. 07 2007, 13:37)
you know, ive always thought about doing a wave at the climax of Amarok,...

You too? Perhaps we could synchronize a wave sometime. But then I'd have to figure in timezone differences... so, nevermind. But the least I can do is issue you a welcome to the board, Amarok of Distant earth - nice to have you join us.

you see there are 2 mains albums im obsessed with (can you guess which ones?)

I was seriously stumped for awhile, thinking to myself 'Well, judging from his comments here, I'm guessing Amarok is one...' when I happened to reread your username and the light switched on inside my head. It's been a long day.

--------------
"I'm no physicist, but technically couldn't Mike both be with the horse and be flying through space at the same time? (On account of the earth's orbit around the Sun and all that). So it seems he never had to make the choice after all. I bet he's kicking himself now." - clotty
Profile PM 
moonchildhippy Offline

Posted: Sep. 08 2007, 16:38

Quote (Amarok of Distant Earth @ Sep. 07 2007, 17:37)
Quote (Alan D @ Aug. 12 2007, 15:32)
Quotes by Sweatpea (just to balance things up a bit):

1. About Amarok:

Whenever I get to the big climax at 50:24 I get such an urge to shout "W00T!!" and start a 'wave' (yes, I'm a nerd) - unfortunately, that doesn't work very well with one person.

you know, ive always thought about doing a wave at the climax of Amarok,...you see there are 2 mains albums im obsessed with (can you guess which ones?)

LMAO ROTFL

Islands and Earth Moving  perchance ???? :laugh: . Don't mind me I'm in a silly mood, bring out the frivolity.

As for Sweetpea's urge to shout "WOOT" and start a wave at the big climax of Amarok, I get a desire to do a similar thing with Ommadawn climax, but I'm usually alone when I listen to Ommadawn.

--------------
I'm going slightly mad,
It finally happened, I'm slightly mad , just very slightly mad

If you feel a little glum to Hergest Ridge you should come.

I'm challenging  taboos surrounding mental health

"Part time hippy"

I'M SUPPORTING OUR SOLDIERS

BRING OUR TROOPS HOME NOW!!
Profile PM 
Piltdownboy on horseback 22 Offline

Posted: Sep. 10 2007, 13:02

Quote (jonnyw @ Sep. 06 2007, 15:27)
Quote (Sweetpea @ Sep. 02 2007, 05:56)
Tony, that made me laugh, too. I wonder what happened to PiltdownBoy. It appears he is a prolific poster, but I don't think he's been active lately?

He has been very busy, We chat quite often, Don't worry, He hasn't forgotten about this place ;)

Hmmm... I vaguely seem to remember that guy...

bit of a weirdo...

--------------
"And now we're going to play Platinum!"
Profile PM 
arron11196 Offline

Posted: Sep. 10 2007, 16:26

Weird, eh Piltdown? Hmm...

You seemed alright enough to me ;)

:D

--------------
Arron J Eagling

Everyone's interpretation is different, and everyone has a right to that opinion. There is no "right" one, I am adding this post to communicate my thoughts to share them with like-minded souls who will be able to comment in good nature.

(insert the last 5 mins of Crises here)
Profile PM 
moonchildhippy Offline

Posted: Sep. 10 2007, 16:50

Quote (Piltdownboy on horseback 22 @ Sep. 10 2007, 17:02)
Quote (jonnyw @ Sep. 06 2007, 15:27)
Quote (Sweetpea @ Sep. 02 2007, 05:56)
Tony, that made me laugh, too. I wonder what happened to PiltdownBoy. It appears he is a prolific poster, but I don't think he's been active lately?

He has been very busy, We chat quite often, Don't worry, He hasn't forgotten about this place ;)

Hmmm... I vaguely seem to remember that guy...

bit of a weirdo...

Well if you've Piltdown Man as your dad you'd be a bit "weird".   What's being "normal" anyway???  :/ .

If being normal, means following convention then forget it, I'm proud of beinga convention defying  Bohemian :D

--------------
I'm going slightly mad,

"Part time hippy"

Profile PM 
Sweetpea Offline

Posted: Sep. 11 2007, 14:32

I don't care what the label is. When I'm being beaten painfully over the head, I'm not really bothered whether it's being done by a hammer or a mallet. - Alan D

stop being mean to Heaven's Open. - Sir Mustapha

I don't want the climax too soon, about 17-19 mins in is just fine, BTW I was speaking about Ommadawn - moonchildhippy

MotS is grand but one should know that too much will lead to space madness, which is even better. - Harmono

--------------
"I'm no physicist, but technically couldn't Mike both be with the horse and be flying through space at the same time? (On account of the earth's orbit around the Sun and all that). So it seems he never had to make the choice after all. I bet he's kicking himself now." - clotty
Profile PM 
Iksion Offline

Posted: Sep. 11 2007, 15:37

Sweatpea, amazing thread! I smiled like a crazy dead horse while i was reading it! (srry i didnt know how to write the other word for smiling..I mean loud smiling something like leaghing or something like thet).

--------------
Im crazy old man,
Im dressed in red,
I drink sky like honey,
enough i have said.
Profile PM 
Tubularman Offline

Group: Awaiting Authorisation
Posted: Sep. 11 2007, 15:44

Quote (Iksion @ Sep. 11 2007, 21:37)
Sweatpea, amazing thread! I smiled like a crazy dead horse while i was reading it! (srry i didnt know how to write the other word for smiling..I mean loud smiling something like leaghing or something like thet).

Hello Iksion, nice to see you here :D
So nice to see old fans comming back ;)

--------------
Mike Oldfield M i x e s
https://soundcloud.com/tubularman
Profile PM WEB 
moonchildhippy Offline

Posted: Sep. 11 2007, 16:30

Quote (Iksion @ Sep. 11 2007, 19:37)

Loud smiling  :laugh: Yep laughing , having a big cheesy grin planted on yer face :D ,  I'm grinning inanely, I'm loud smiling all over the floor  :D  :laugh: .

Hope you're well Iksion.

--------------
I'm going slightly mad,

"Part time hippy"

Profile PM 
Holger Offline

Posted: Sep. 11 2007, 17:48

Quote (moonchildhippy @ Sep. 08 2007, 22:38)
As for Sweetpea's urge to shout "WOOT" and start a wave at the big climax of Amarok, I get a desire to do a similar thing with Ommadawn climax, but I'm usually alone when I listen to Ommadawn.

Certain people have been trying to talk me into visiting a fan convention... I never really wanted to though. However, doing a wave at the climaxes of Amarok and Ommadawn would be reason enough for me to go, I think. :)
Profile PM 
Sweetpea Offline

Posted: Sep. 17 2007, 04:04

i'm a sixteen year old, most of you are double, triple, or quadruple that age. - hayman

Sex anb food are primary urges to man, but for you can squeeze in getting-to-know-about-mike-odlfied-recording-session-details in between the two. It's all about the details. It's small questions like these that I can sit and think about on my veranda with a cup of cofee and a walkman. It's wonderful. And it keeps the fear of global warming at arm's length. - larstangmark

I laughed out loud a couple of months ago when someone complained about that section of "Incantations" where someone sang "Canada" over and over and over. - hiawatha

i love the bells. bells bells bells bells bells! i love 'em all! and i don't care if he makes 99 more bells albums, i think they'd all be great and i'd be excited for all those too. THE BELLS RULE! ! - tubularbills

Mike Oldfield is a stunning musician, one of the greatest composers of our time, but by Christ his lyrics suck! - lordlucan

I think it's impossible for Mike to make something that completely sucks. There's gotta be some sub-conscious message in his brain that secretly puts awesome things through without him noticing! - MusicallyInspired

most people worship the etherical space Ommadawn exists in, but it took me 10 or so listens just to even find it bearable. - arron11196

William Tell - I'm not such a fan of the record, but I think this video is hilarious.  I especially like the way that the Mike playing the glockenspiel slopes in half way through smoking a ciggie. - familyjules

in light of mat's suggestion, you will now all be called "oldfield guru peoples" instead of hipie nerds. - hayman

If you go down the 'no machinery' road you end up with the only authentic experience being to sit in the same room while Mike plays acoustic guitar. Which would of course be very nice, but that's not my point! - Alan D

I am one of those who thinks that "Plum Bum" is not a very good album title - hiawatha

Regarding the title, I don't care at all about what it means, or if it is suitable, or why he chose it etc. etc. All that matters to me is the music inside. As far as I'm concerned, he could call it F*ck you and I'd still buy it. - Ugo

I think if he was to suggest "dog shit" as his album title we would all be concerned! - Chicular

Well, I'm sure Mike can sell albums with crazy titles. That rapper eminem can even sell an album which contains a photo in the cd booklet of him shooting his own fans. Damn, this is a crazy world, isn't it? - Blue Dolphin

I always felt that a true artist shouldn't care about what fans think. Of course that could be called egoism, but -- an artist doesn't "owe" fans anything. In my perfect world an artist has only one person to satisfy -- him/herself. Fans will always complain -- if the artists reinvent themselves it will be about "destroying their legacy and betraying the fans", if they don't -- it will be about "not being able to think of anything new". And that's why fans should be ignored. :) Having said that, why don't we capture Mike, lock him in some basement with shitloads of non-Flimsy Loopy instruments and force him to record Incantations II before he's allowed to see his bikes again? :D - Navaira

How nice is it that a discussion between fans of an artist on an Internet forum, has had some really intelligent argument without anyone resorting to name calling or blind rage. Both sides of the argument have made some really interesting points and covered picasso and mozart on the way. Well done us! It certainly beats "XYZ sux." "no he doesn't ur a loser". Mike Oldfield fans once again prove themselves to be the most articulate and passionate of any out there - and also possibly the most attractive! - Ricky Bling

Politeness is a definite requirement - not because Mike's a demigod, but because it's what stops this forum turning into a scene rather like the monkey enclosure at the zoo when feeding time's overdue - Korgscrew

My cat, bless him, has just hopped up onto the desk, caught a Daddylonglegs and crunched it in front of me. Yuck. (I digress) - bee

--------------
Profile PM 
arron11196 Offline

Posted: Sep. 17 2007, 15:23

Quote (Sweetpea @ Sep. 17 2007, 09:04)
most people worship the etherical space Ommadawn exists in, but it took me 10 or so listens just to even find it bearable. - arron11196

I would like to point out that since writing this post my opinion of Ommadawn has very much changed!

VERY much :P

*whew*

*looks about for the stalkers with prod sticks*

:O

--------------
Arron J Eagling

Everyone's interpretation is different, and everyone has a right to that opinion. There is no "right" one, I am adding this post to communicate my thoughts to share them with like-minded souls who will be able to comment in good nature.

Profile PM 
Alan D Offline

Posted: Sep. 17 2007, 16:16

Quote (arron11196 @ Sep. 17 2007, 20:23)
I would like to point out that since writing this post my opinion of Ommadawn has very much changed!

In this thread it seems we're all obliged to meet face to face with our younger, rasher selves!

Be brave, Arron! Remember: it was the folly of yesterday that led to the wisdom of today!
Profile PM 
Piltdownboy on horseback 22 Offline

Posted: Sep. 18 2007, 04:31

This thread is so funny!  :D

--------------
"And now we're going to play Platinum!"
Profile PM 
arron11196 Offline

Posted: Sep. 18 2007, 14:23

Wisely put, Alan D!  :D

And just for the record... Ommadawn rawks ^_^

--------------
Arron J Eagling

Profile PM 
Sweetpea Offline

Posted: Sep. 18 2007, 14:39

Quote (Alan D @ Sep. 17 2007, 16:16)
In this thread it seems we're all obliged to meet face to face with our younger, rasher selves!

Be brave, Arron! Remember: it was the folly of yesterday that led to the wisdom of today!

Alan D does have a way with words, doesn't he? I'm living for the day I can quote him with 'Blecch!!!! This nu album is POOPY! :( :(' or something similar.

Quote (arron11196 @ Sep. 18 2007, 14:23)
Ommadawn rawks ^_^

I am happy for your turnaround with Ommadawn, arron. It seems that all the initial suffering was worth it in the end.  :D

--------------
Profile PM 
arron11196 Offline

Posted: Sep. 18 2007, 15:22

Indeed so! For me its up there now in the top 6 or so. For me there are these classifications of music...

1. Tubular Bells II

2.Other Oldfield, Vangelis and some others

3. Everything else.

:D

--------------
Arron J Eagling

Profile PM 
Alan D Offline

Posted: Sep. 18 2007, 16:11

Sweetpea quotes

She thought she would fool us by changing her name, but no, no ....

1. (On how listening to Amarok stimulates new ways of drinking.) By the way, I had to look up what a Hefeweizen was, and I wonder what that implies. Anyway, here's the quote:

In fact, the only truly rough part ... was the weirdness that comes in around the fifteen minute mark - which was when I paused to grab a Hefeweizen. After resuming, I nearly snorted it through my nose when I got to the part with the yawning.

2. (On the shocking complexity of vowel sounds):

On the album, I hear "Ah ma dawn", but apparently some listeners hear "Oh ma dawn". So, is it supposed to sound like 'octagon' or 'mow my lawn'? I would find an argument for the latter unconvincing since "Ommadawn" is supposedly based on 'amadan' - a word I would certainly pronounce like 'Padawan' rather than 'dope a fawn'. But then, that would deflate the clever play on words, "Ohmygawd", that I've seen elsewhere and like quite a lot. Of course, maybe I am the 'amadan' for not being able to clearly identify vowels even when they are sung to me!
Profile PM 
Alan D Offline

Posted: Sep. 18 2007, 16:31

Quote (Sweetpea @ Sep. 18 2007, 19:39)
I'm living for the day I can quote him with 'Blecch!!!! This nu album is POOPY!

The Nu Album (a poem)

I unwrapped the package, and put the CD
In the player and twiddled the knobs,
Then sat down to listen. But Oh! What a mess!
It sounded like music for slobs!

So after some hard careful thinking,
My honest opinion must be:
Oh Blecch!!!! This nu album is POOPY!
(Is that good enough for Sweetpea?)
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Sep. 18 2007, 16:35

Regarding the title, I don't care at all about what it means, or if it is suitable, or why he chose it etc. etc. All that matters to me is the music inside. As far as I'm concerned, he could call it F*ck you and I'd still buy it.

Can you please tell me, Sweetpea, what album (title) did I write this about? Was it a Mike album? [I think so... :D]

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
203 replies since Aug. 12 2007, 05:13 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (11) < 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 ... >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net