Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: The Path - help please!!!< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
starfish Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Aug. 22 2011, 16:18

The new re-issues have prompted me to have a proper sort-out of my Mike Oldfield collection. Everything's on my iPod now, and I'm cataloguing all the songs.

I've come across this track, 'The Path', from the Elements 4CD box. The inlay on the box has the date of the recording as 1979, and yet looking through the list of singles, the earliest reference I have is that it was used as the B-side to 'Shine' in 1986.

To confuse matters more, the guy who posted this song on youtube claims that it dates from 1976 - I'm leaning towards this date as, stylistically at least, the piece sounds like it was from the pre-Exegesis era.

So what's the story here? Was it recorded in the 1970s and then locked in the archives until finally being used on 'Shine' seven years later?

And what's the recording date: 76, 79 or 86?

Many thanks in advance for all your help!

EDIT: Ignore!

I found that it was an out-take from 'Reflections', recorded in 1976, and unreleased until 1986.
Profile PM 
Airborne Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Aug. 22 2011, 16:28

Quote (starfish @ Aug. 22 2011, 21:18)
Was it recorded in the 1970s and then locked in the archives until finally being used on 'Shine' seven years later?

Yes, initially recorded in 1976 for the Arts Council film "Reflection". Not commercially released for 10 years.
Profile PM 
1 replies since Aug. 22 2011, 16:18 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net