Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: The Only Album, That really needs a deluxe reissue< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
nightspore Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Aug. 26 2009, 09:13

Given the wealth of excellent music not on the original release - many of it better than that which found it on to that record, in my opinion - this would seem to the only disc in Mike's catalogue that really needs a reissue/remaster. What's that you say? Fat chance? Oh yes, we're talking fat to the point of a year's subscription to Jenny Craig here.
Profile PM 
tubular_trekkie Offline

Posted: Aug. 26 2009, 10:09

I agree with you that some of the music in the game should have made it on to an official release that could - and should - have been titled Tres Lunas 2 (or Tres Lunas could have been a 2-disc affair). The Brandon Blume fan mix shouldn't have been necessary and I would've liked to have had the Music VR stuff on Light + Shade kept within either the Tres Lunas or Maestro game concepts.

A bit anal I suppose, but here's how I would have planned the content of the releases:

Tres Lunas - 3 Disc Edition (2 music CDs and a game disc)
-Including all the music from the game and the stuff from Light + Shade

Maestro - 2 Disc Edition (1 music CD and a game disc)
-Incorporating much of the music from Light + Shade that was either featured in Maestro or not related to Tres Lunas

I know this takes a wrecking ball to Light + Shade but it fixes two bug-bears I've always had about the way Maestro (the game) and L+S were put together:

(1) there was never enough music in Maestro
(2) the stuff on L+S seemed to be a random mish-mash of leftovers from Tres Lunas, bits and bobs from Maestro and new material

None of this is problematic of course if you aren't bothered about the Music VR games or don't see the point in keeping to the idea of 'concept albums'. Like I say, I'm probably a bit too anal about it  :)

--------------
"The concept of progress acts as a protective mechanism to shield us from the terrors of the future."

- from 'Collected Sayings of Muad'Dib' by the Princess Irulan
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: Aug. 26 2009, 19:52

Quote (tubular_trekkie @ Aug. 26 2009, 10:09)
(1) there was never enough music in Maestro

Actually, I think more music would destroy the rather strange feel of this game. Somehow the game is one where emptiness takes centre stage: the prize for winning one of its games, after all, is a tombstone!

Actually, that's another interesting aspect of the game: there are two subgames you can play: one takes you to a joyous, otherworldly location (the gravitar quest), while the other takes you to the silence of the grave (the 24 medal quest). There's more to this game than meets the eye.
Profile PM 
2 replies since Aug. 26 2009, 09:13 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net