Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: The mysterious Herbie - pipes on Ommadawn< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
mousefinder Offline

Group: Members
Posted: June 07 2017, 04:40

This is my first post, having recently rediscovered Mike Oldfield, having listened to my fathers records when I was younger.

My family originate from Hereford and my uncle was a bit of a “hippy” for want of a better expression, back in the 70’s and was also a massive Mike Oldfield fan.  Growing up in the area, he was actually friends with Herbie (he went to school with him I believe), who was a local musician, as speculated by some.  He was not Herbie Armstrong, but was actually called Christopher “Chris” Herbert – my Uncle always called him Herbie the Pipes.  Chris Herbert lived in and around Hereford and Herefordshire until his death in 2012, at which time he was living in Kington, which is very near to Hergest Ridge

I have to say that I hadn’t realised that there was such a mystery surrounding his identity, as through my family I had always known exactly who he was and that he was a local chap until I started reading around Ommadawn, which is by far my favourite Mike Oldfield LP.

Anyway, I just thought that this might be a useful bit of information for fans of Mike Oldfield and his work.
Profile PM 
Cavalier (Lost Version) Offline

Posted: June 10 2017, 01:12

Thank you, mousefinder, and welcome!  Sorry to learn that he has passed on (I see the death notice is online), but glad to have his name put out there.  I hope ( unless it was all cash-in-hand! ) that somebody at Virgin knew whom they were paying - but I fear that by the time of the photoshoot, "Herbie" was all they'd been calling him for weeks or months!  A lovely contribution to the Lost Version, as well. :)

--------------
"Who was that?"
"That was Venger - the force of Evil!  I am Dungeon Master - your guide in the realm of Dungeons & Dragons!"
Profile PM 
mousefinder Offline

Posted: June 13 2017, 08:50

I am guessing that you are probably correct.

An I am also guessing that he was relatively quiet about it as he didn't really want to be known as "Herbie who didn't play pipes on Ommadawn after all"!
Profile PM 
2 replies since June 07 2017, 04:40 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net