Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (3) < 1 [2] 3 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: The Mathematician's Air Display to Be Reissued< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
captainjjb Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Jan. 14 2010, 07:24

Mike talked about his contribution to this album on Radio1 in 1979 when doing the Exposed tour.  I think it was an interview with Tommy Vance, but I could be wrong.  During the program they played the whole of the London Wembley gig, warts and all (and there were plenty) plus an interview with mike.  Mike explained his contribution to the track "Mathematician's Air Display" saying that he'd had the idea for the repeating figure whilst Pekka had the basic tune.  Also that Pekka only agreed to play bass on the tour if Mike contributed to the album.  
More I can't remember as the audio tape I had it on got thrown away many moons ago.  It'll be available on bootleg online somewhere I guess....
Profile PM 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: Jan. 14 2010, 07:36

Funny should choose to post that just as i was listening to some more of it.I really like alll of the stuff i've managed to listen to so far.be buying from Amazon as soon as it's released.
 Regarding the deal about touring i think that's a fair trade.
It's funny watching him on the Exposed DVD.Just sits there looking fairly solemn but plays brilliantly.Looks a bit like a slioghtly bigger built version of Neil from the Young Ones but with a tache!And i've looked him up aon the internet and i don't i saw one picture of him smiling although listening to 'False Start' there obviously a sense of humour there.Hmmm.Intriguing stuff. :laugh:

--------------
THE COMING OF THE GREAT WHITE HANDKERCHEIF IS NIGH.
Profile PM 
hairy old hippy Offline

Posted: Jan. 14 2010, 07:41

Well that's good timing, I've had 'The Mathematicians Air Display' for years and only occasionally listen to it. Over Christmas, however, I really got into it, it just clicked so I've been trying to find 'B The Magpie' to no avail what so ever.

--------------
Listen to Mohribold; an epic musical tapestry that weaves between a multitude of genres.

Andrew Taylor's Mohribold album has proved very popular with fans of symphonic-rock, prog-rock, psych-folk and indeed Oldfield's classic albums!

www.andrewtaylor.bandcamp.com
Profile PM WEB 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: Jan. 14 2010, 07:58

it's on Amazon now to pre-order for release on 25/01/10

--------------
Profile PM 
manintherain Offline

Group: Members.
Posted: Jan. 14 2010, 16:27

I pre-ordered my copy last night. Had the chance to see him live in concert in 1983. Too bad he didn´t play anything from the Mathematician´s Air Display. It was a fantastic concert though.

:zzz:

Edited by manintherain on Jan. 14 2010, 16:32
Profile PM 
bee Offline

Posted: Jan. 21 2010, 18:10

i only came across this album a couple of years or so ago...and love it....especially Mathematician's air Display...Mike at his absolute best to my mind, wish he could feel inspired enough to do something similar for a new album..

--------------
....second to the right and straight on till morning....

You heard me before
Yet you hear me again
Then I die
Till I call me again
Profile PM 
amarok90 Offline

Posted: Jan. 26 2010, 15:51

Hello Fellow Oldfieldians

Just working my way through my newly delivered Pekka Pohjola, Mathematicians Air Display CD, and guess what.... its bloody good !!!

On Head Bending Part 1 at the moment, hints of David Bedford in the mix as well, title track was superb with Mike in top form.

Sad thing is when the album finishes I have to go to work

Best wishes

Alan Vickers
Profile PM 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: Feb. 01 2010, 08:10

My Copy's on order.Should be with me any day now.Can't wait.
 Thinking about it i've now got stuff by 3 members of the Exposed band now.Pierre Moerlin's Gong (Downwind-also 1979 and with Mike and with Hansford Rowe and Benoit Moerlin both of whom are on the Knwbworth gig),all the David Bedford albums (with Mike) and,when it arrives,Pekka Pohjola.
  He was a busy boy in 1979! :laugh:

--------------
Profile PM 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: Feb. 04 2010, 03:04

Got it.Listened to it twice last night and on the way to work this morning.Absolutely love it!Only criticism is it's too short.Other than that brilliant.And some really good playing from Mike to cap it off!

--------------
Profile PM 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: Feb. 04 2010, 04:28

Just noticed something reading back over this.On the re-issue The Consequences Of Indecision is called The Consequences Of Head Bending.Confused.What's the right title?
 I'm very enamoured of this album.Not just cos Mike's on it but it's just damn fine music.It's interesting hearing Mike play someone else's music but even then his guitar parts are instantly recognisable.There's an amazing solo of Head Bending part 2.Right after a guitar synth type solo by the other guitarist Mike lets rip with a blinding fast solo.Another example of him playing something very different as it's not his album.

--------------
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Feb. 04 2010, 17:47

Quote (The Caveman @ Feb. 04 2010, 10:28)
Just noticed something reading back over this.On the re-issue The Consequences Of Indecision is called The Consequences Of Head Bending.Confused.What's the right title?

The right title is, of course, "Pääntaivuttelun seuraukset", which means "Consequences of head bending" in Finnish - a friend I have up there told me, and she also told me that "bending your head" is something like a slang expression which means being uncertain about something. The real title of Pekka's album is Keesojen lehto, which means something like "Gnomes' grove". So it's not either The Mathematician's Air Display, which is track 3, "Matemaatikon lentonäytös" (literally: Mathematician's air show) or The Consequences of Indecisions. Both of these are titles which were given to the album when it was distributed all over Europe, as a consequence (no pun intended!! :D) of Mike's new-found popularity. And of course it's an album by Pekka Pohjola, not by Mike Oldfield. And no, it's not even by "Mike and Sally Oldfield featuring Pekka Pohjola". :p

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: Feb. 05 2010, 03:30

Nope it's definately his album.I'm not sure you could call it anything else since Sally's only on 2 tracks and even Mike's not the only guitarist and isn't on the whole album.The only constant is Pohjola and he wrote the whole album.Still listened to nothing else since wednesday.

--------------
Profile PM 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: Feb. 05 2010, 03:35

Just found this about the title on Bings search engine:released in 1977 in Finland as Keesojen Lehto (English: Grove of the Keeso).

--------------
Profile PM 
manintherain Offline

Group: Members.
Posted: Feb. 05 2010, 05:03

:D

Edited by manintherain on Feb. 05 2010, 05:06
Profile PM 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: Feb. 05 2010, 07:52

Must admit i prefer the original Finnish cover.Glad the titles have been translated though!My finnish is somewhat rusty! :laugh:

--------------
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Feb. 05 2010, 08:05

@ Caveman: Of course the whole album is Pekka Pohjola's, as he wrote and arranged all of it. My point is that the European releases not only messed with the title, but also with the artist credits. To show this, I was going to upload some of the various covers, but manintherain preceded me, so thanks a lot. :) I agree with you on the original Finnish design being better than all other ones [the "Keeso" are most probably those alien-like, pink-caped creatures - the one holding the scroll being obviously the mathematician!]... the one with the flying coffee cup looks too surreal to me, the others (including the re-release's cover, which, for God-knows-what reason, omits the surname Pohjola) are just plain stupid. :) I don't think I'm going to buy the re-release, as the CD I have (a 2002 Finnish release on the Love Records label) is already digitally remastered, 24-bit, by a Finnish guy whose name I won't bother writing down. :D It can't sound any better than that, can you?

Skuggornas Tjuvstart is not Finnish, but Swedish - that's the Swedish release, and the title means "Shadows' false start" - track 5. :) By the way, a couple of translations make little sense to me: track 1, "The Perceived Journey Lantern" (??) and track 2, "Hands Straighten the Water" (???). I guess it would take some native Finnish speaker - are there any here inside tubular.net? - to figure out the exact meanings, and even if we found them out we can't be sure if they were what Pekka meant: the title track itself is not standard Finnish but (according to my friend) some kind of slang.

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
Nacho Offline

Posted: Feb. 05 2010, 17:57

Curiously, this reissue has been directed by Mark Powell, with Phil Smee in the package, the same people had done this with TB 2009, and the same people that have been working with HR and O!
Profile PM 
spark Offline

Posted: Feb. 09 2010, 09:18

Re captainjjb,
Ive got the interveiw with Tommy Vance and as I remember then,
When asked about Pekka ,Mike laughed quite a bit then talked about the album. But it seemed to Oldfeild fans then that Pekka was really Mike !
Profile PM 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: Feb. 09 2010, 09:35

I still can't leave this album alone.Bloody love it.I think i might be getting a tad obsessed. :laugh:

--------------
Profile PM 
Mix Offline

Posted: Feb. 12 2010, 13:13

@Ugo:

I also have the 2002 Love Records remastered CD, but I might still buy this one for the different cover... yes, I'm that crazy. I also have the remastered "B the Magpie", which of the Pekka Pohjola back catalogue they are also re-issuing. That is also highly recommended, even if no Mike collaboration. Same thing with album "Visitation" from 1979.

I am native Finnish speaker, so I'll try to explain the titles from the original issue ("Keesojen Lehto")... :) The original Virgin issue of "The Mathematician's Air Display" actually has literal translations. I have all the albums on LP that manintherain posted, and the other editions have e.g. the first track as "The Sighted Light". That's a made up name. Those have other changes, too.

- "Keesojen Lehto" = "The grove of the Keesos" (Keeso doesn't mean anything, it's a made up word.)

So, every track title in the Virgin issue is an exact translation of the original Finnish titles (yes, they are just as bizarre in Finnish...) with the exception of "The Consequences of Head Bending - Part Two: The Plot Thickens". See below:

1. Oivallettu matkalyhty / The Perceived Journey-Lantern (exact translation)

2. Kädet suoristavat veden / Hands Straighten the Water (exact translation)

3. Matemaatikon lentonäytös / The Mathematician's Air Display (exact translation)

4. Pääntaivuttelun seuraukset - osa 1: Sulamaan jätetty kipu / The Consequences of Head Bending - Part One: The Pain Left Melting (exact translation)

5. Pääntaivuttelun seuraukset - osa 2: Nykivä keskustelu tuntemattoman kanssa / The Consequences of Head Bending - Part Two: The Plot Thickens (this is wrong translation. The correct one should be "... Part Two: Jerky Discussion with a Stranger)

6. Varjojen varaslähtö / False Start of the Shadows (exact translation)
Profile PM 
47 replies since Jan. 11 2010, 21:03 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (3) < 1 [2] 3 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net