Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (3) < 1 2 [3] >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: The Mathematician's Air Display to Be Reissued< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Ugo Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Feb. 12 2010, 18:00

@ Mix: I ended up buying the re-issue as well, although it's exactly the same CD with the same music remastered by the same guy. :D It's just that an Italian webshop was selling it for 3 Euros, P&P included. They must've been crazier than you. :D However, thanks very much for translating/explaining the titles. I'm quite happy to know that they make little sense even in their original language. ;) And I must admit that the real title of Part Two of "Consequences" is much better than the wrong translation...
By the way: is it true that "head bending" is a Finnish slang/dialectal expression which means being uncertain? A friend of mine from your own country told me.

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
Mix Offline

Posted: Feb. 13 2010, 03:55

@Ugo:

There is no such dialectal expression in Finnish, I'm quite sure of it. Pääntaivuttelu = Head bending and there are no other meanings for it... I guess the person who said that it can also mean being uncertain, might have gotten the idea from the alternate album titles, where "The Consequences of Head Bending" indeed is changed to "The Consequences of Indecisions". However, I have no idea what is the origin of such change... it would be nice to know, if the alternate titles were ever accepted by Pekka Pohjola, or whether they changed the titles without asking him - well, I believe P.P. couldn't have cared less about the titles, really...  :D
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Feb. 13 2010, 18:30

@ Mix: Thanks again. The friend I was referring to was born in England, then moved to Finland when she was two years old. So, because of the fact that her native language is English (and not Finnish) maybe she was indeed confused, as you say, by the English translation on the Virgin print. :)

--------------
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Nov. 21 2010, 19:13

@ Mix: I'm kind-of resurrecting this old topic to ask you a question about Google Translator's reliability, which has often proved to be close to zero. :D For "Oivallettu matkalyhty", it gives me: "Woken up by the movable lantern". How good is this? Could you please give me a very literal translation of the two words? Also, for "Matemaatikon lentonäytös", Google Translator says "Mathematician's air show". Regarding "Kädet suoristavat veden" - "Hands straightening water", maybe I've found a meaning: it may refer to Moses' famous gesture of  "opening up" the Red Sea in two halves, as shown in the famous but (IMHO) over-pompous film The Ten Commandments. What do you think?

--------------
Profile PM 
The Big BellEnd Offline

Posted: Nov. 21 2010, 19:18

Is it just me, or is it getting suffocatingly Finnish these day's.

--------------
I, ON THE OTHER HAND. AM A VICTIM OF YOUR CARNIVOUROUS LUNAR ACTIVITY.
Profile PM 
Mix Offline

Posted: Dec. 16 2010, 08:49

@Ugo: only just now noticed your message...
I try to be as specific as I can :)

For "Oivallettu matkalyhty", it gives me: "Woken up by the movable lantern". How good is this? Could you please give me a very literal translation of the two words?

"Matkalyhty" comes from two words: "Matka"= journey/trip/voyage, and "lyhty" = lantern. Matkalyhty is a lantern that you use when travelling. I don't know if there is a good direct translation... "travel lantern"?

"Oivallettu" is conjugated from verb "Oivaltaa", which translates to "realize" something / "become aware of something" / "comprehend" something. Here it means that something is realized / comprehended. So: "Oivallettu matkalyhty" = "A realized travel lantern". Doesn't make much sense but that's how it goes... :)

Also, for "Matemaatikon lentonäytös", Google Translator says "Mathematician's air show".

That one is correct.

Regarding "Kädet suoristavat veden" - "Hands straightening water", maybe I've found a meaning: it may refer to Moses' famous gesture of  "opening up" the Red Sea in two halves, as shown in the famous but (IMHO) over-pompous film The Ten Commandments. What do you think?

More accurate translation for this one is "Hands straighten (the) water":

"Kädet" is a plural for "Käsi" which is "Hand"

"Suoristavat" comes from "Suoristaa" (= to straighten). Conjugation with -vat means that this is being done by something plural. "Käsi suoristaa" (Hand straightens) but "Kädet suoristavat" (Hands straighten).

"Veden" comes from "Vesi" (= water). Conjugation -den here means that it is an object of the verb straighten. Difficult to explain in Finnish as there are no words to correspond directly with words to/from/in/on... etc... for example:

"Vesi" = water
"Vedessä" = in water
"Vedestä" = from water
"Veteen" = into water
"Veden" = as above or waters' (genetiv form)

So I don't believe your Moses-example is correct here. With that reference I'm sure the verb "jakavat" (= divide) had been used instead of "suoristavat".

Probably too much information, but hope this helps! :)
Profile PM 
Mix Offline

Posted: Dec. 16 2010, 08:50

Quote (The Big BellEnd @ Nov. 22 2010, 02:18)
Is it just me, or is it getting suffocatingly Finnish these day's.

Impossible ;)
Profile PM 
kazav Offline

Posted: Dec. 16 2010, 14:43

Don't care what the titles are. It's fecking good music!

--------------
The purpose of education is to replace an empty mind with an open one.
Profile PM 
47 replies since Jan. 11 2010, 21:03 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (3) < 1 2 [3] >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net