Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (3) < [1] 2 3 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: The Mathematician's Air Display to Be Reissued< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Inkanta Offline

Group: Admins
Posted: Jan. 11 2010, 21:03

Esoteric Recordings is reissuing two Pekka Pojhola titles at the end of January, including The Mathematician's Air Display. Produced by and featuring Mike, this remastered reissue will be released on 25 January.

Thanks to Christian Maguhn and Vicky Powell!

--------------
"No such thing as destiny; only choices exist." From:  Moongarden's "Solaris."
Profile PM 
smillsoid Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Jan. 11 2010, 21:45

Great!  I love this album. :)

--------------
http://www.reverbnation.com/simonjmills
Profile PM WEB 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: Jan. 12 2010, 03:01

Cool!Are they crediting it to Mr Pajhola this time round?It's been credited to Mike and Sally Oldfield in the past on some re-issues which of course would have been a marketing ploy."Pekka who?Never heard of him.Oh Mike Oldfield....the Tubular Bells guy.Yeah i've heard of him!".Never actually heard it but i will be buying this!

--------------
THE COMING OF THE GREAT WHITE HANDKERCHEIF IS NIGH.
Profile PM 
Dirk Star Offline

Posted: Jan. 12 2010, 03:23

It`s a pretty good album,and I must admit I was`nt even aware of it until Jim uploaded his vinyl version here a year or so ago.They`re putting it out with the original British sleeve apparently (above) .It says on the Esoteric website that Mike was a huge fan of Pekka`s work,although I think it was actualy Branson who was the "huge fan" and kind of  pushed them into working together somewhat.Obviously something must`ve clicked from there though because Pekka did play on Mike`s Exposed tour later.
Profile PM 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: Jan. 12 2010, 03:36

Cool.There's a million versions of the cover from re-issues i've seen on some sites.According to one source he turned down working as part of ABBA's touring band even though it would have made him a fortune.There's musical intergrity for you!
 Not really sure Branson was a fan of anyone much unless there was financial gain involved.He did like Bachelor Boy by Sir Clifford Of Richard though.

--------------
Profile PM 
3Wheeler Offline

Posted: Jan. 12 2010, 04:10

Whats the Album like then ... Instrumentals, Vocals, Folk , etc etc.. :cool:

--------------
We're Flying Aeroflot, We've Got Reservations.
Profile PM 
Dirk Star Offline

Posted: Jan. 12 2010, 04:37

Quote (3Wheeler @ Jan. 12 2010, 09:10)
Whats the Album like then ... Instrumentals, Vocals, Folk , etc etc.. :cool:

It`s kind of all those really plus prog,classical,jazz,humour.Some bits of it remind me of Frank Zappa in his pomp actualy.You also get some great guitar playing from Mike,and Piere Moerlon on drums.There`s a lot to like about the album I think.And for all it`s definetly more Pekka Pojhola`s album than it is Mike Oldfield`s I guess.There are a couple of tracks that are almost archetypal Mike Oldfield from that time period you could say.It`s also further evidence imo that despite the fact Mike has more or less been the epitomy of creative self-sufficiency all these years.He was also a damn fine collaborator when he wanted to be.
Profile PM 
larstangmark Offline

Posted: Jan. 12 2010, 04:37

Mike worked with other Virgin artists a lot, and I don't think that's a co-incidence. What Branson liked and not propably wasn't that important. Wasn't it Simon Heyworth that was the musical "competence" of Virgin?
Lars T

--------------
"There are twelve people in the world, the rest are paste"
Mark E Smith
Profile PM WEB 
Dirk Star Offline

Posted: Jan. 12 2010, 04:44

Yeah he even played the Fairlight on a Skids album in the early 80`s did`nt he,and we all know how much he loved punk.
Profile PM 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: Jan. 12 2010, 04:52

Simon Draper was Branson's right hand man and was the musical brains in Virgin's mangement and Simon Heyworth was one of the engineers.
 This sounds like a must have album.Has all all the bits i love by the sounds of it.Not only Mike but Pierre Moerlin as well?My favourite drummer ever.
 I must buy this.Sounds right up my street.
 Btw anyone know where i can find a Pierre clone for my band? :laugh:

--------------
Profile PM 
ex member 419 Offline

Posted: Jan. 12 2010, 06:08

Definitely buying this album. Love Pekka's music. Sounds like there are some interesting tracks on this one. Deb
Profile PM 
3Wheeler Offline

Posted: Jan. 12 2010, 07:34

Ahh   just had a quick search.. The Guy has Links to the Band "Wigwam"   .. Now were talking..    Nuclear Nightclub is a Fav album of mine... not sure if he was involved on this lp but the band are great...  So deff looking to purchase this item.. :cool:

--------------
We're Flying Aeroflot, We've Got Reservations.
Profile PM 
Mix Offline

Posted: Jan. 12 2010, 08:12

For all the curious ones, who haven't heard the album yet... You can find all the tracks on YouTube. The album was released in Finland with name "Keesojen Lehto", here's links to all the tracks (with Finnish names used in the Finnish release), but I recommend listening to other Pekka Pohjola-tracks there, too, while at it if you're not familiar with it. He was a great composer and amazing bassist.

Track 1: The Perceived Journey Lantern
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JVr4m6jPsN4
- No Mike, Sally or Pierre

Track 2: Hands Calming the Water
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QbZP7PnPvT8
- Mike Oldfield: Acoustic and Electric Guitar
- Sally Oldfield: Vocals

Track 3: Mathematician's Air Display
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I1qrakmvXcg
- Mike Oldfield: Guitars
- Pierre Moerlen: Drums

Track 4: The Consequences of Indecisions, Part 1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JlTPrQ-pB88
- Mike Oldfield: Guitar
- Pierre Moerlen: Percussion

Track 5: The Consequences of Indecisions, Part 2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0vy_lnhGsLQ
- Mike Oldfield: Fuzz Guitar + some percussion
- Pierre Moerlen: Glockenspiel

Track 6: False Start
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pv0nJv-L7Oc
- Mike Oldfield: Mandolin and Whistle
- Sally Oldfield: Vocals
Profile PM 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: Jan. 12 2010, 11:25

Just listened to Mathmaticians Air Display.OMG that is amazingly good.Watch out Amazon.I'm having that!

--------------
Profile PM 
Mix Offline

Posted: Jan. 12 2010, 11:51

Isn't it just... While the whole album sounds very much as a Pohjola-album (just compare to the albums "B the Magpie" which Esoteric is also re-releasing, or e.g. "Visitation"), this one track is most "oldfieldish" in its sound IMHO. Especially that guitar climax near the end. Fantastic stuff!
Profile PM 
Scatterplot Offline

Posted: Jan. 12 2010, 12:16

Yes, this is a very good album. I had great enjoyment cleaning it up with software. My copy was "The Consequences of Indecisions" with the "Jaguar XKE Oil Filter, or grain silo cover" This is a must have. I think it's just as much Mike and Sally's album as Pekka's. There are some  tracks that they do not contribute, but this should be credited IMO as MO and PP. An "equal" collaboration. For whatever it's worth, the re-issue should list PP first, but be called Pekka Pahjola AND Mike Oldfield.......My two cents worth.
Jim

--------------
We raise our voices in the night
Crying to heaven
And will our voices be heard
Or will they break Like the wind
Profile PM 
Scatterplot Offline

Posted: Jan. 12 2010, 12:21

Did I screw up Pohjola's name? Yes I did. 10 lashings in town square. Please have cold butter ready.
Jim

--------------
Crying to heaven
Profile PM 
Mix Offline

Posted: Jan. 12 2010, 12:23

Equal collaboration?? Huh?

Not wanting to get stuck debating this any longer than is necessary :) but Mike participates in the album as co-producer and guest musician only (and engineering). All the tracks are written by Pekka Pohjola alone, so I believe crediting the album just to him is absolutely correct. It could be "Pekka Pohjola featuring Mike Oldfield" or something along those lines, if they had actually used the "featuring" credit back in those days.

This is purely a Pekka Pohjola-album, with only his songs included. Mike took part in producing and playing instruments in all but one track.
Profile PM 
Scatterplot Offline

Posted: Jan. 12 2010, 12:32

OK. Whatever. Its all in good fun......
Jim

--------------
Crying to heaven
Profile PM 
Pat Gleeson Offline

Posted: Jan. 12 2010, 14:22

Many thanks Mix, for the links - I'm all over this  :)
Profile PM 
47 replies since Jan. 11 2010, 21:03 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (3) < [1] 2 3 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net