Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: The Manor, Tubular Bells studio, up for sale< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Olivier Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: June 06 2010, 13:32

NME reports that the Manor, a 16th century house converted in a studio by Richard Branson in 1971, is up for sale for £5,750,000 in Oxforshire. Mike Oldfield recorded Tubular Bells there in 1973. Other artists who used The Manor include Gong, Tangerine Dream, Black Sabbath, and Radiohead.

Thanks to HuanCry for pointing us to the original story in The Independent.
Profile PM 
HuanCry Offline

Group: Members
Posted: June 06 2010, 15:38

The original story as the NME state is from the 'Independent on Sunday' newspaper :-

The Independent on Sunday

:cool:
Profile PM 
^NabLa^ Offline

Posted: June 07 2010, 08:47

Nice, I wish I could fork out the cash for this, but I just bought a bridge somewhere in nigeria.

--------------
^NabLa^
Profile PM WEB 
Tati The Sentinel Offline

Posted: June 07 2010, 19:07

I have the newspaper here and I can send a picture of it later on!

--------------
"But it's always the outsider, the black sheep, that becomes the blockbuster." - Mike Oldfield, 2014

"I remember feeling that I'd been judged unfairly and that I was going to prove them wrong." - Peter Davison, 2011
Profile PM WEB 
Blue Dolphin Offline

Posted: June 09 2010, 05:08

Quote (Tati The Sentinel @ June 08 2010, 01:07)
I have the newspaper here and I can send a picture of it later on!

That would be lovely Tati! Thanks.

I uploaded some photos here a couple of years ago when I visited the Manor. I thought it was functioning as a hotel, wasn't it? There still is a nice atmosphere over there.

--------------
-The mark of a good musician is to play one note and mean it-

Mike Oldfield - 1980
Profile PM 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: June 09 2010, 09:01

It's only 20 minutes up the road from me.I'll buy it.Now where does one find £5.75 million?
 I've been there several times.The first time it was still a studio but i belive it was turned into a hotel.At the same time they replaced the windows with really nasty UPVC double glazing which looked really wrong for such a grand building!Don't know if they've changed it back as it's a bit out of the way even though Shipton's just off the main Oxford to Banbury road and i've not been there in a few years.As a measure of inflation i remember it was sold in the 90's through a very high class estate agent in the town where i live (told you i was close)for a cool million!
I've also had a pint of Guinness in the Jolly Boatman where Mike,Tom Newman and Simon Heyworth used to go and get well and truely pissed durinng the recording of TB.I recommend it!

--------------
THE COMING OF THE GREAT WHITE HANDKERCHEIF IS NIGH.
Profile PM 
5 replies since June 06 2010, 13:32 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net