Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: The Manor 2006< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Blue Dolphin Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Aug. 26 2006, 06:43

Hello all!

I just came back from holidays in England (still think it's a lovely country). I took the chance to visit the Manor in Shipton-on-Cherwell (just above Oxford, but British fans will know that). ;)

So I finally saw the Manor! I have to say, it looks really smaller than I expected it would be. My mother just drove our car in front of the door. I yelled: "NO! It's now private! We're not allowed to be here!". ;)

I made some photos. But judging by the cars, I guess it's now just a home? There was a girl looking at us, but she didn't really care. Guess more fans are showing up there. Does anyone know what happened? Is the studio still there? And has anyone of you visited it?

The photos show the driveway and the shed on the left of the manor where the studio was build in (if I read it correctly in Richard Newman's "Making of Tubular Bells"), and the garden in front of the house.

Click to enlarge image
Click to enlarge image

--------------
-The mark of a good musician is to play one note and mean it-

Mike Oldfield - 1980
Profile PM 
Piltdownboy on horseback 22 Offline

Posted: Aug. 26 2006, 09:46

Looks beautiful  :cool:

--------------
"And now we're going to play Platinum!"
Profile PM 
Tubularman Offline

Group: Awaiting Authorisation
Posted: Aug. 26 2006, 09:55

yes nice, thanks for sharing this  :)

--------------
Mike Oldfield M i x e s
https://soundcloud.com/tubularman
Profile PM WEB 
moonchildhippy Offline

Posted: Aug. 26 2006, 18:59

It took me three attempts to find The Manor :O , I think finding the turning for Shipton -on - Cherwell can be difficult,  I guess this is where having "Sat-Nav" in  your car is useful.   I did find The Manor on my way back from Kington last year,typical that I'd run out of film in my camera.   I don't think anyone was bothered by our presence there ( myself and friend Di), maybe they're used to Mike fans turning up there.

I did read that The Manor is now a hotel, and unfortunately no longer has planning permission to operate as a studio.  EMI ( Virgin Label owners) closed The Manor in 1995.   I can't remember where I read this :O.

--------------
I'm going slightly mad,
It finally happened, I'm slightly mad , just very slightly mad

If you feel a little glum to Hergest Ridge you should come.

I'm challenging  taboos surrounding mental health

"Part time hippy"

I'M SUPPORTING OUR SOLDIERS

BRING OUR TROOPS HOME NOW!!
Profile PM 
Blue Dolphin Offline

Posted: Aug. 28 2006, 04:29

Ok, thanks for sharing this information moonchildhippy!!! :) If I'd had known it was a hotel now, we would have planned some evenings to stay there.

Here are more photos. Some from the front and the shed left to it, and one of the garden in front of the house.

Click to enlarge image
Click to enlarge image

--------------

Mike Oldfield - 1980
Profile PM 
Blue Dolphin Offline

Posted: Aug. 28 2006, 04:30

And the third one

Click to enlarge image
Click to enlarge image

--------------

Mike Oldfield - 1980
Profile PM 
Blue Dolphin Offline

Posted: Aug. 28 2006, 04:36

And the fourth one

Click to enlarge image
Click to enlarge image

--------------

Mike Oldfield - 1980
Profile PM 
Blue Dolphin Offline

Posted: Aug. 28 2006, 04:40

and the last one

Click to enlarge image
Click to enlarge image

--------------

Mike Oldfield - 1980
Profile PM 
manintherain Offline

Group: Members.
Posted: Aug. 28 2006, 15:44

The hallway.

From the outside, an ordinary house. A great house, true - four hundred and eighty three rooms, each one with its own marble wash basin and douche, bidet as it may. But inside, and the positions are reversed. A human failing, some say a disease, but a disease that Sir Francis Dashwood knew and used well.

Upstairs, inside and a revelation. It's a discotheque. No, no, uh.. there are paintings, real, and look here - a rare seventeenth century masterpiece, and if I can scrape a little of it off, beneath I can find hidden a fourteenth century underpiece.

Made entirely of tiny pieces of eggshells, this lurid work has caused controversy in the world of embroidery and anthropologicky. No, I'll say it again, anthropolology. Umm.. no quite possibly make an anthropol, no, uh, I mean an apolog..ph.. It has enthralled distinguished professors, and in layman's language is "blinking well baffling".

But to be more obtusely, "buggered if I know." Yes, "buggered if I know." And that's all we've gleaned so far from experts in fourteenth century painting, renaissance, greengrocers, and recently revived members of the public. Buggered if I know.

Vivian Stanshall, about three o'clock in the morning,
Oxfordshire, 1973, Goodnight.
Profile PM 
moonchildhippy Offline

Posted: Aug. 28 2006, 19:00

Quote (Blue Dolphin @ Aug. 28 2006, 09:29)
Ok, thanks for sharing this information moonchildhippy!!! :) If I'd had known it was a hotel now, we would have planned some evenings to stay there.

I tried searching the Yellow Pages, online  (UK Business directory listing, (for the benefit of non UK residents) you need a roofer in Reading, a plumber in Portsmouth, a caterer  in Cardiff, a nursing home in Nottingham or  a builder in Birmingham, you'll find a list of them here).  
Most strange I can't find any hotels or B&B listed for Shipton on Cherwell :/ .  I was curious to know how much it would cost for a nights stay at The Manor (more than I could afford I'd imagine).  Buggered if I know :/ why I can't find it listed.

BTW Blue Dolphin great photos :), where did you find your avatar pic, and did it have that sepia effect, or was that something you did yourself?

--------------
I'm going slightly mad,
It finally happened, I'm slightly mad , just very slightly mad

If you feel a little glum to Hergest Ridge you should come.

I'm challenging  taboos surrounding mental health

"Part time hippy"

I'M SUPPORTING OUR SOLDIERS

BRING OUR TROOPS HOME NOW!!
Profile PM 
glasgow_tubular Offline

Posted: Aug. 28 2006, 20:02

Lol its like a hideen house like in harry potter. You need a porthole or something to get into it  :D Looks lovely though.

--------------
www.myspace.com/allaroundmyhat
Profile PM 
Tubularman Offline

Group: Awaiting Authorisation
Posted: Aug. 28 2006, 22:32

thank so much for sharing this!! very cool!
one day i will book! :D  :cool:

--------------
Mike Oldfield M i x e s
https://soundcloud.com/tubularman
Profile PM WEB 
Blue Dolphin Offline

Posted: Aug. 29 2006, 11:17

Quote (moonchildhippy @ Aug. 29 2006, 01:00)
Most strange I can't find any hotels or B&B listed for Shipton on Cherwell :/ .  I was curious to know how much it would cost for a nights stay at The Manor (more than I could afford I'd imagine).  Buggered if I know :/ why I can't find it listed.

BTW Blue Dolphin great photos :), where did you find your avatar pic, and did it have that sepia effect, or was that something you did yourself?

Hmmm, when we drove up on the frontway, I saw a cleaning lady operating a vacuum cleaner (no, not for the guitar ;) ). There were a number of cars parked too, so it looked like a hotel. The gates were open, so you could enter freely.

Thanks. :) My avatar is from a larger photo I downloaded from the now long gone oldfieldmike.de website (I think). It's not really a sepia effect, the red/brown colors just dominated the photo. Frustating thing is, I can't find the original on my hard drive anymore!!! argh!! I will try to find it!

--------------

Mike Oldfield - 1980
Profile PM 
12 replies since Aug. 26 2006, 06:43 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net