Olivier Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: Mar. 07 2008, 02:00

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f4K6_8_Q0PQ
Profile PM 
Sweetpea Offline

Group: Members
Posted: July 01 2008, 14:34

There was some discussion, recently, about this being anti-cool, but I really got a kick out of it. Apparently aimed at children, the simplistic explanations and visual demonstrations made it easier for me to understand Mike's recording process.

--------------
"I'm no physicist, but technically couldn't Mike both be with the horse and be flying through space at the same time? (On account of the earth's orbit around the Sun and all that). So it seems he never had to make the choice after all. I bet he's kicking himself now." - clotty
Profile PM 
Holger Offline

Posted: Oct. 26 2009, 19:49

Can't believe I've never seen this before. That's so sweet!  :D
Mike comes across as such a nice person here... it's just like he describes in Changeling how he felt at that time, the difference is amazing when you compare it with, say, the "Making of Ommadawn" clip.
Profile PM 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: Oct. 27 2009, 04:59

I checked this out a couple of weeks ago.So good to go back to when i first saw it.And his admission that he simply cannot play the keyboard part fast enough is really quite charming!
The first time i saw it would have been in the very early 80's when they re-ran the film due to popular demand.I was all of 6 tears old and absolutely enthralled by it!The idea that he did it all (drum roll and percussion excluded)was amazing.I already knew TB (i was a very early starter)but this made me wabt to hear more.HR came next courtesy the record library.

--------------
THE COMING OF THE GREAT WHITE HANDKERCHEIF IS NIGH.
Profile PM 
Scatterplot Offline

Posted: Oct. 27 2009, 15:13

Fun video. Thanks for putting that up.
Jim

--------------
We raise our voices in the night
Crying to heaven
And will our voices be heard
Or will they break Like the wind
Profile PM 
Tati The Sentinel Offline

Posted: Oct. 27 2009, 16:44

Quote (Holger @ Oct. 26 2009, 23:49)
Mike comes across as such a nice person here... it's just like he describes in Changeling how he felt at that time, the difference is amazing when you compare it with, say, the "Making of Ommadawn" clip.

I was watching yesterday the making of Ommadawn video and that was so disturbing if you compare to this lovely one.

It's one of my fav videos since it does show Mike's recording technique in a very simple way.

--------------
"But it's always the outsider, the black sheep, that becomes the blockbuster." - Mike Oldfield, 2014

"I remember feeling that I'd been judged unfairly and that I was going to prove them wrong." - Peter Davison, 2011
Profile PM WEB 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: Oct. 30 2009, 09:00

Just watched it again and something struck me as odd.Although it's obviously at Througham it all seems to have been recorded in the control room of the studio and none of it in the massive downstairs live room.This lead me to thinking about the interview sequences in The Essential video.Although it has the round window of the Througham studio everything including the piano appears to be in the control room.I always assumed this was his Denham studio as he left Througham in late 79 in time for the recording of Platinum (the UK recorded bits and excluding Woodhenge which i'm pretty sure was done in Througham around the same time as Downwind which is listed as having been recorded there)as detailed in the Wendy Roberts interview.Now i'm confused.

--------------
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Oct. 30 2009, 18:05

I love this video, it's one of my fav Oldfieldian «making-of»s. The weirdest thing about it, though, is the fact that the piece, as it's played at the end of the video (and thus supposed to be the final result of the recording process) doesn't sound at all like any of the versions of "Blue Peter" than I know. So did Mike re-record it from scratch after this video was filmed, or does this have nothing to do with the officially released version(s)? I'd like someone here to explain... :)

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
Dirk Star Offline

Posted: Oct. 31 2009, 09:35

Quote (Ugo @ Oct. 30 2009, 23:05)
I love this video, it's one of my fav Oldfieldian «making-of»s. The weirdest thing about it, though, is the fact that the piece, as it's played at the end of the video (and thus supposed to be the final result of the recording process) doesn't sound at all like any of the versions of "Blue Peter" than I know. So did Mike re-record it from scratch after this video was filmed, or does this have nothing to do with the officially released version(s)? I'd like someone here to explain... :)

From memory Ugo,Mike recorded the theme for the show firstly as shown here,which was never intended for release.It was simply used as the signature tune for Blue Peter.About a year or so later Blue Peter always used to do a kind of Christmas Appeal thing to raise money for charity.This would invariably be in the form of some kind of re-cycling gig.Where viewers would send in old stamps,plastic,aluminium, etc..whatever it was they were collecting for that partucular appeal.Anyway they asked Mike to re-record the theme for single release,and to use some of the royalties raised from it to go towards the appeal.Obviously Mike`s initial recording was only around a minute and a half anyway,so they probably needed a bit more "timewise" to justify it`s release I guess.I think for that particular appeal (1979) all of the proceeds went towards the children of Cambodia.
Profile PM 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: Nov. 02 2009, 03:02

That's right.I remember watching the appeal on telly every Tuesday and Thursday at 5.05 (straight after John Craven's Newsround).I think it wwas milk bottle tops that year :laugh:

--------------
Profile PM 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: Nov. 02 2009, 08:01

Just remembered.My sister used to get the Blue Peter annual for xmas every year and the 1979 one had a peice on this.I think it's still in my parent's loft.Must dig it out.Very funny text such as "Mike's an expert guitarist.Here he's playing an electric guitar to add a bit of rock and roll". :laugh:

--------------
Profile PM 
Dirk Star Offline

Posted: Nov. 02 2009, 11:55

Would be great if you could find that Caveman,I love the "rock n` roll" comment there heh heh.Every time I used to play the old Blue Peter single years ago,I could`nt help but be curious as to what all the little kiddywinkies made of the b.side(Woodhenge) when they flipped that thing over.I`m sure there were many young & puzzled little innocent faces up and down the country.

I was thinking the other day that Mike`s Blue Peter single might`ve been some kind of fore-runner in a way for charity records such as Band-Aid,USA For Africa etc.This wikipedia article here makes no mention of it.Although it does mention a couple of Unicef releases from Abba and The Bee Gees released the same year as Mike`s single.Plus anyway thinking about it later there was George Harrison`s concert for Bangladesh and Bangladesh single(1971) which should have been mentioned there imo.Still a great thing for Mike to have done though,and in more recent years I actualy enjoy listening to it now..It does`nt seem to carry as much "baggage" as it used to do.
Profile PM 
Scatterplot Offline

Posted: Nov. 02 2009, 12:14

I can't help but snicker a little bit when I see "Blue Peter" discussed here. You Tubes know my thinking I am sure 100%......a disorder not to be confused with beer nuts or cotton balls. But something we should all be aware of, educated about and realize it is real. That there was tautology in action. "realize it is real". Forgive me. My English is better than that. A redundancy on my part. Godspeed in TubeVille.
Jim

--------------
Crying to heaven
Profile PM 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: Nov. 02 2009, 12:26

I'll see if dad hasn't cleared it out next time i go see them.I pinched it off sis so it'll be in with all my old BMX and Beano annuals.Xmas is coming and the old man will need me to go into the loft to get the tree down.
 Forgot that Woodhenge was the b side.The parents probably loved it but the kids probably couldn't get their heads around it!
 IMO Wikipedia is sh*t so i don't trust anything on there.The Bangladesh concert WAS the first real full on benefit concert.There were others but poorly organised by idealistic hippies without the clout of a George Harrison and for bizarre causes no-one had really heard of (what the f*ck was the Dr Spock Benefit Concert at the Lyceum in aid of exactly?).It absolutely should be recognised as a forerunner of Live AID.As for benefit singles then there was Bangladesh the song.
Such a shame that Alan Klein skimmed it again and the ensuing law suit stopped so much money going where it ought to have.I don't mean to speak ill of the dead but Klien was a bastard of the highest order!

--------------
Profile PM 
Dirk Star Offline

Posted: Nov. 02 2009, 12:46

Yeah and the b.side of Bangladesh is Deep Blue,one of my favourite George Harrison songs.Wrote for his late mother I think.. "Deep Blue" is probably another one for Jim there as well..     :p
Profile PM 
Scatterplot Offline

Posted: Nov. 02 2009, 13:10

Yeah....well we all know Jim's head is focused on the same dang thing........in the...............

MUSIC!!

--------------
Crying to heaven
Profile PM 
Holger Offline

Posted: Nov. 02 2009, 17:21

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nQxI2n3uZWA
Profile PM 
ex member 419 Offline

Posted: Nov. 03 2009, 06:44

What a delightful video! Mike is so down to earth, honest. He is certainly a great philanthropist and gives so much to charity! His musical gift has been a true blessing for him! Cheers, Deb
Profile PM 
Ray Offline

Posted: Nov. 03 2009, 12:30

Hey  - that's my Acoustic Bass!!!!

--------------
Looking out over the harbour in Peel.......
Profile PM 
Scatterplot Offline

Posted: Nov. 03 2009, 13:40

The 2nd vid was cute. I killed it after MO. Sorry, I'm just.....well goddamit, I'm on Tubular.net unless I'm hallucinating(which I never do). Those of you with hallucinatory problems feel free to contact me. I will send you back to reality, guaranteed......I'm on Terra Firm.
Jim

--------------
Crying to heaven
Profile PM 
19 replies since Mar. 07 2008, 02:00 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net