Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: The Lake (complete)< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Kington Offline

Group: Members
Posted: July 27 2021, 05:50

Hello all,

Been lurking again for a while. I gather a lot of people have probably made the transition to the FB groups as I have.

So apologies to any for whom this might be a double post. But I finally got around to finishing a cover version one of my top 5 Mike pieces. Had to sequence the drums (but no quantising, and I did a lot of processing to make them closer to Phillips's sound), but all other instruments were played by my rapidly callousing fingers (some of Mike's bass parts really are something else, I had to do some serious cutting and splicing with one section because I just couldn't do it as a complete take!;)

But to be honest, the best fun was having a virtual Fairlight to work at all of those fantastic sounds and sequences that Mike did for this.

Anyway, hope you like it.

Synthnerd11 - Cover version of "The Lake"
Profile PM 
qcfoetus Offline

Posted: July 27 2021, 21:56

Hey, this sounds really good! Awesome video, too. The Lake has always been of my favourites, so this really hits the spot. Thanks a million!
BTW, I've always wondered why no one appears to have ever taken advantage of Mike sharing this short extract from the original recording, way back in 2014 (re. thread titled "Albums->Discovery->The Lake"): The Lake
It would have been great hearing some forum members incorporating it into their creations, or simply performing a duet with Mike!
Profile PM 
Kington Offline

Posted: July 28 2021, 00:31

Quote (qcfoetus @ July 27 2021, 21:56)
Hey, this sounds really good! Awesome video, too. The Lake has always been of my favourites, so this really hits the spot. Thanks a million!

Thank you, and you're most welcome.

I've always wondered why no one appears to have ever taken advantage of Mike sharing this short extract from the original recording, way back in 2014 (re. thread titled "Albums->Discovery->The Lake")

I remember when that was first uploaded, it was so exciting to hear. I downloaded it and transcribed it right away. So when it came to doing a transcription of the full piece earlier this year, I already had that bit. It was really cool hearing those inner parts so clearly without the drums and keys, especially that wonderful bass line.
It was tempting to use that clip in a cover version, but thought there might have been copyright problems.
Profile PM 
qcfoetus Offline

Posted: July 28 2021, 02:28

I understand how you feel. Had the same concern when, earlier this year, I posted my remix of the opening of TB side 1, in the wake of the Indaba contest held in 2012. On the other hand, quotation or reproduction of a small portion of copyrighted materials (with proper acknowledgment) should be okay, right? Especially if the artist has kindly shared his or her original material in the first place. Anyway, now that you've posted your contribution, it might inspire someone else to make their own cover.  :)
Profile PM 
3 replies since July 27 2021, 05:50 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net