Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (2) < [1] 2 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: The lake, wow...< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Sonilink Offline

Group: Members
Posted: May 16 2005, 06:52

the lake is a great piece  but I think that it too short wadaya think...

--------------
Take the Time
Profile PM 
Rileman Offline

Posted: May 17 2005, 08:05

I don't think it's too short. How long do you want it to be, if
12 minutes is too short for you?

--------------
It's not easy going where no-one goes, and no-one knows...
Profile PM 
arron11196 Offline

Posted: May 17 2005, 09:54

Aha!

As you good people obviously appreciate the lake, perhaps you could do something for me...

I've tried and tried and tried to find something to like about this piece - but I just can't do it. Can any of you give me any pointers as to what to look for - why you think it's a good piece.

I'd be much appreciative.

At current I think it's far too long - about 12 mins too long :D but hopefully you'll be able to help clear the fog of my understanding.

Thanks,

--------------
Arron J Eagling

Everyone's interpretation is different, and everyone has a right to that opinion. There is no "right" one, I am adding this post to communicate my thoughts to share them with like-minded souls who will be able to comment in good nature.

(insert the last 5 mins of Crises here)
Profile PM 
Sir Mustapha Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: May 17 2005, 10:14

Nah, 12 minutes is alright. Myself, I was never a fan of the piece, but it's a good one. It's just a little too "Mike Oldfield on autopilot", without bringing anything terribly new to his carreer. Besides, it tastes like Mike accidentally put sugar instead of flour into the recipe. :) So I wouldn't be the best person to give you "pointers" on how to appreciate the track, Arron. But I would say 'The Lake' is one of his calmest, gentlest instrumental piece, without mischievous humour or anything.

--------------
Check out http://ferniecanto.com.br for all my music, including my latest albums: Don't Stay in the City, Making Amends and Builders of Worlds.
Also check my Bandcamp page: http://ferniecanto.bandcamp.com
Profile PM WEB 
arron11196 Offline

Posted: May 17 2005, 12:05

I believe you Sir M. I have heard it, you know...

Anyways, I feel like I'm hijacking the thread, so i'll start another about this.

--------------
Arron J Eagling

Everyone's interpretation is different, and everyone has a right to that opinion. There is no "right" one, I am adding this post to communicate my thoughts to share them with like-minded souls who will be able to comment in good nature.

(insert the last 5 mins of Crises here)
Profile PM 
Ratty Offline

Posted: May 17 2005, 16:59

Quote (arron11196 @ May 17 2005, 14:54)
I've tried and tried and tried to find something to like about this piece - but I just can't do it. Can any of you give me any pointers as to what to look for - why you think it's a good piece.

Hey Aaron, you could start by listening to the extraordinary talents of Simon Phillips on percussion!! his contribution to this track is immense. Sir M hit the nail on the head re Mike, he is on autopilot for this track, albeit very good "flying" tho!!

--------------
Far away across the field
The tolling of the iron bell
Calls the faithful to their knees
To hear the softly spoken magic spells
Profile PM 
mikex Offline

Posted: July 30 2005, 18:13

The Lake is by far the best part of Discovery. I would suggest to anyone who dosen't like it to listen to it a few more times, it can really grow on you. There are some great guitar parts throughout.

Saying this I love EVERYTHING Mike has done, so I am a little bias!

--------------
Anthropolologee, upstairs and inside a revelation is blinking well baffling!
Profile PM 
raven4x4x Offline

Posted: July 30 2005, 20:14

For me, it's the ending that makes me love The Lake. Starting with the solo clean guitar at around 8:45, then the acoustic comes in, then the whole band. Something about that melody just hits me every time, so emotional in a way I can't describe (not very helpful I know). Along with Crises and Amarok, The Lake is my favourite of Mike's long pieces, so I'd say it's perfect just the way it is. And I totally reject and suggestion of 'autopilot' from Mike on this one.

--------------
Thank-you for helping us help you help us all.
Profile PM 
mikex Offline

Posted: July 31 2005, 05:28

I fully agree with raven4x4x, the guitars at 8.45 onwards are really beautiful. It is a real masterpiece.

--------------
Anthropolologee, upstairs and inside a revelation is blinking well baffling!
Profile PM 
Sonilink Offline

Posted: Sep. 02 2005, 14:56

Quote (mikex @ July 30 2005, 18:13)
Saying this I love EVERYTHING Mike has done, so I am a little bias!

I would say that apart from EM I only like instrumental stuff

--------------
Take the Time
Profile PM 
Bill Bobaggins Offline

Posted: Sep. 02 2005, 20:10

"To France" on Discovery is a personal favorite being that my name is Mary and France was my married name.  Somehow I envisioned the song was written for me.

However, to get to the subject of this thread -- beginning from "Talk About Your Life" through "Saved By A Bell" and then "The Lake" is simply awe inspiring.  Brings chills to my arms, a lump to my throat and tears to my eyes.

--------------
Speak friend and enter.
Profile PM 
natertb Offline

Posted: Sep. 30 2005, 14:11

I love when the clean electric guitar plays the final theme as a solo, and just before they repeat the first theme, he plays minor notes. That is just too beautiful!

--------------
Waiting hour by hour...
Profile PM 
BTH Offline

Group: Members.
Posted: Dec. 14 2005, 21:14

8:45 onwards - worth the price of admission alone!
Especially the little fairlight bit right after the acoustic guitar that sounds like light glistening on the surface of the lake - then the drums kick in qnd the whole thing lifts off in the most beautifully melancholy way!
Also, brilliant sound all the way through - the whole album has fantastic production values...

--------------
Tá mé an amadán ag cheoil...
Profile PM 
Incantations2085 Offline

Posted: April 24 2006, 17:06

very powerful track!
expecially live!
those  who say that it is not good....they just do not know mike!
thanks

--------------
Reaching through the dark, do you have to go??
Profile PM 
Piltdownboy on horseback 22 Offline

Posted: April 24 2006, 17:16

I liked the lake always, because of the melancholy feel... and the great images of lakes (dúh) and mountains and snow... and a little cosy wooden house  (oh, my god, I'm describing the music video to Last Christmas by Wham  :O  :/ ) ;)

The bit by 8 mins, with the quiet acoustic bit is breathtaking and the tremendous end.

--------------
"And now we're going to play Platinum!"
Profile PM 
hiawatha Offline

Posted: April 24 2006, 19:10

Quote (Piltdownboy on horseback 22 @ April 24 2006, 17:16)
I liked the lake always, because of the melancholy feel... and the great images of lakes (dúh) and mountains and snow... and a little cosy wooden house  (oh, my god, I'm describing the music video to Last Christmas by Wham  :O  :/ ) ;)

The bit by 8 mins, with the quiet acoustic bit is breathtaking and the tremendous end.

Just wake me up before you go go, ok?

--------------
"In the land of the Dacotahs,
Where the Falls of Minnehaha
Flash and gleam among the oak-trees,
Laugh and leap into the valley."
- Song of Hiawatha
Profile PM 
Piltdownboy on horseback 22 Offline

Posted: April 25 2006, 04:33

Quote (hiawatha @ April 24 2006, 19:10)
Just wake me up before you go go, ok?

Yes, I'll blow a careless whisper in your ear to let you know, alright? ;)

--------------
"And now we're going to play Platinum!"
Profile PM 
TOBY Offline

Posted: May 01 2006, 18:43

Just listening to it now, superb. It always has been my favourite 80's MO track and up there in my all time fav pieces of Mike music. Its like all his best stuff its just superb on every level. The playing between Mike and Simon P is amazing its like they're playing at each other and then with each other in turn. For some reason I think its Mike's best effort at self production, the sound of the piece is so warm and clear especially coming off vinyl. It also contains probably Mike's best bass playing, the undercurrent bass lines are so strong and melodic.
The only bit of it that doesn't quite do it for me is the first sort of rock out funk section, it sounds a bit cheesy in a way the rest of the piece doesn't.
If you want to experience The Lake at its best go travelling in the Swiss Alps and listen to it on your ipod. Mike really caught the drama and beauty of the Alps in the track, I wish he'd do more music like this.
Profile PM 
Inkanta Offline

Group: Admins
Posted: May 03 2006, 22:28

I love this piece. Years ago, a member of the Amarok Mailing List community did a medley that included an excerpt from "The Lake" (near the end)--from the point of the sweet guitar to the dynamic ending. He punctuated it with something resembling tubular bells (not chimey things--strong, deliberate bells if this makes any sense), and it is so good that when I listen to Mike's version, it is missing those bells! So...Mike...if you ever re-do or play an excerpt in concert, think about bringing in some bells towards the end (which leads me to ask if this ever happened??). :) The medley, aka Taurus IV, was arranged and performed by Joern Brackhagen. Brilliant piece.

--------------
"No such thing as destiny; only choices exist." From:  Moongarden's "Solaris."
Profile PM 
ImAFoolAndImLaughing Offline

Posted: May 05 2006, 08:28

Finally managed to get hold of a copy of Discovery on CD and have spent a fantastic 15 minutes revisiting the lake (which I've not heard for years, when I owned it on cassette, which I then mislaid... :( )

I have to agree with Toby though - that first rocky bit in the first 5 minutes or so sounds too much like the theme from a Cheesy Superhero film... :D

Tony :)

--------------
"I was in this prematurely air conditioned supermarket and there were these bathing caps you could buy that had these kind of Fourth of July plumes on them that were red and yellow and blue and I wasn't tempted to buy one but I was reminded of the fact that I had been avoiding the beach."
Profile PM 
37 replies since May 16 2005, 06:52 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (2) < [1] 2 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net