Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: The Instrumental Section< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
qjamesfloyd Offline

Group: Members
Posted: May 16 2003, 11:17

I have been listening to this album a few times on my car CD player lately,i had'nt listen to it for a couple of years,and on re-listening i noticed a few things,firstly the track order,it seems weird to me that an album about Mike Oldfield would start with not 1,but 2 cover versions,i can understand ARRIVAL because of the title it is a good track to start an album with,even that both cover versions are very good,it would have been a better idea i feel to have started with one of Mike's own compositions.
Secondly,i am interested in where some of the track names come from,why is CUCKOO SONG so called?,also,GUILTY,JUNGLE GARDENIA and WALDBERG(THE PEAK)?.
And have any of these smaller instrumentals been played live?
Profile PM 
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: May 16 2003, 15:25

Cuckoo Song is actually a Bouree by Michael Praetorius. I think he's called it cuckoo song because of the little pairs of notes which sound a bit like a cuckoo call (there's another tune which I've heard called cuckoo song, I think a traditional one, which sounds much more cuckoo-like...it's possible he confused it with this).

I've seen it said that Waldberg is misnamed, with the correct name being Wallberg, a mountain in Bavaria. I'm not sure where the information which indicates that Mike named it after that particular mountain came from. I believe there may be mountains called Waldberg (still chasing this one up, a few leads to follow, but it's logical, with waldberg meaning something along the lines of 'forest mountain'). I also don't see why it has to have been about any mountain in particular...waldberg could be purely imaginary.

Guilty may well refer to some of the ideas given to Mike by the Exegesis course which he went on shortly before recording the single - one of the principle ideas, which Mike talked about quite a bit afterwards, was that he was guilty for bringing all his misfortune upon himself; people hated him because he wanted them to hate him, and so forth.

Guilty has certainly been played live, I don't believe the others ever have, but someone may know differently...
Profile PM 
Spinne Offline

Posted: May 16 2003, 19:28

Portsmouth have been included in several concerts and tours (The Art In Heaven Concert the last one). Blue Peter was performed at the 1980 tour (as well as Guilty, as Korgscrew had said; included too in the previous tour). I know that Wonderful Land was played at Barcelona 1980 (and probably at the other concerts previous to the 1881 tour) and Etude was played in a few shows during the... 1982 tour!!  :O
The rest of songs of this section I don't think so. :cool:
Profile PM 
Kenneth Brix
Unregistered

Posted: June 05 2003, 15:07

Hi all you Mike Oldfield experts,
A friend of mine has a 12" 33rpm vinyl record pressed in Japan with Mike Oldfield instrumentals, and some of them are featured on the Instrumental side of this compilation album. I would very much like to get my hands on a cd version of his record but have lost contact with him and cannot recall the title. Maybe there are some of you experts that knows which cd album to go for, other than this compilation which only features a fraction of the instrumentals Oldfield have recorded.
I would appreciate any feedback.
Regards, Kenneth
Punkadiddle Offline

Posted: Nov. 05 2003, 16:51

Going back to what Spinne said about the tours, are any of them available on DVD or vid.  I know it's a long shot but I'd really like to see them.  Cheers.
Profile PM 
Spinne Offline

Posted: Feb. 12 2004, 13:01

From the 80s the only official video is The Essential MO that includes Mike's concert at Knebworth Festival in 1980 (the songs included are Guilty, TB (part 2 excerpt), TB (part 1) & Ommadawn (part 1), on VHS and Laser Disc). The Art In Heaven Concert was released too as VHS and later on DVD. Other official videos from concert are the premieres of TB2 and TB3 released on VHS and in one DVD that include the 2 of them. Also there are unofficial domestic videos made by the audience and videos taken from TV broadcast, some of them can be found on internet (mainly on FTPs and P2P programs such as eMule or WinMX).
Profile PM 
qjamesfloyd Offline

Posted: Feb. 12 2004, 14:13

I would so like to see the release of a proper Mike Oldfield concert where he rocks out,not a premier concert where he is trying to play the album.I keep hearing about this Knebworth gig,but i have never seen it,or the Viareggio gig,it would be so cool to have these concerts on D.V.D.
Profile PM 
Spinne Offline

Posted: Feb. 12 2004, 14:30

I know there are unofficial releases of some old VHS in DVD, those have been done by fans and the quality is bound to the originals. I know some spanish people have adapted The Wind Chimes and The Essential to DVD (in fact, in the presentation of TB2003 in Madrid, a copy of one of them - The Wind Chimes I think- was given to Mike).  :cool:
Profile PM 
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: Feb. 12 2004, 14:45

Some of those (The Wind Chimes certainly, and Elements, I think not The Essential) have been done from LaserDisc, so I'd imagine the quality is higher than VHS on those.

It would be great to see some official releases, though.
Profile PM 
Spinne Offline

Posted: Feb. 14 2004, 10:50

Korgscrew said:
Some of those (The Wind Chimes certainly, and Elements, I think not The Essential) have been done from LaserDisc

The Wind Chimes and The Essential have been done from Laser Disc, this is completely for sure. The Elements DVD has been done from a japanese version probably a laser disc too(the translation of the interview was in japanese characters and they wrote the spanish translation over those) ;)

Kenneth Brix said:
A friend of mine has a 12" 33rpm vinyl record pressed in Japan with Mike Oldfield instrumentals, and some of them are featured on the Instrumental side of this compilation album. I would very much like to get my hands on a cd version of his record but have lost contact with him and cannot recall the title.

May this be the Japanese compilation called The Singles? This includes the following: William Tell Overture / Blue Peter / Polka (Live) / Cuckoo Song / Pipe Tune / Portsmouth. As you can see only Polka is not included at The Complete, and maybe the Blue Peter version is the one known as german version (see Blue Peter topic at Rarities & Concerts forum). You can see The Singles front cover at Take 4 (surf to item 10).
Profile PM 
9 replies since May 16 2003, 11:17 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net