Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (2) < [1] 2 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: The first disease infecting forums, Just say no< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Matt Offline

Group: Admins
Posted: Mar. 20 2008, 07:47

Those of you who browse other forums on the web must have noticed the terrible disease spreading and infecting many of them - the practice of some muppet posting "first! hee hee heee" as a comment immediately after News postings. I am sure you all agree we can do without that here.

So, if anyone pulls that stunt here at tb.net, what sould the punishment be?

1) Forced to listen to 24 hours of the track "Sex and Violence" by The Exploited endlessly repeating (we know how much Mike loves punk, fans might have the same view? ). We can interrogate them after this ordeal to see if they remember any of the lyrics.

2) Given a large image full of uncoloured "sad face" smilies and forced to colour them yellow one pixel at a time?

3) Having Sweetpea make a list of their daftest or most useless posts and put it in Meet-and-Greet for us all to comment upon.

4) PM'd by every forum member to ask them "Why?"

Any more?

Oh, and by the way, posting "first" after this message WILL NOT BE CONSIDERED FUNNY! ;)

--------------
"I say I say I say I say, what's got three bottles and five eyes and no legs and two wheels"
Profile PM 
Dirk Star Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Mar. 20 2008, 08:40

Firstly.I would be very surprised if somebody was to be as bold/stupid enough to actually carry out the kind of post you`re talking about there Matt.Especially given the severity of some of the ramifications you would appear to have lined up there.The mere thought of what Mr Korgscrew would make of it would be more than enough to put me off anyway.

Secondly.I`m actually starting to wonder here.Just who it could actually be on this forum who is maybe harbouring secret desires to carry out such posts???I can`t say that it had ever crossed my mind untill you mentioned it just now.Come on Matt you can tell us,we`re all grown up`s here after all...

And lastly Punk is great,but The Exploited are truly awful Imo.The prog rock equivalent would be somebody like It Bites for me.24 hours of Calling All The Heroes and I dare say even I would be "shooting up the town" like a mad man posessed. :D
Profile PM 
Sir Mustapha Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: Mar. 20 2008, 16:41

Quote (Dirk Star @ Mar. 20 2008, 08:40)
Firstly.

Was that intentional, or just a hilarious coincidence? :)

--------------
Check out http://ferniecanto.com.br for all my music, including my latest albums: Don't Stay in the City, Making Amends and Builders of Worlds.
Also check my Bandcamp page: http://ferniecanto.bandcamp.com
Profile PM WEB 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Mar. 20 2008, 19:08

Quote (Matt @ Mar. 20 2008, 13:47)
1) Forced to listen to 24 hours of the track "Sex and Violence" by The Exploited [....]

Maybe they could be forced to watch 1000 times the "Sex and Violence" episode of Monty Python's Flying Circus. (I think it was one of their first ones.) I find that episode very funny, but maybe after 1000 repetitions even the funniest joke in the world (BTW, wasn't that another MP sketch?) wears a bit thin... :)

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
Bassman Offline

Posted: Mar. 20 2008, 19:11

:laugh:
Profile PM 
trcanberra Offline

Posted: Mar. 20 2008, 21:44

I don't know if we can go the SweetP route, given it is such a badge of fame to get named in one of the posts :)
Profile PM 
Sweetpea Offline

Posted: Mar. 21 2008, 17:47

I haven't seen it here, at these forums, thankfully. But, certainly, there are more egregious crimes? I mean, didn't The Caveman nearly expire from a case of over-punnery earlier this month? BTW, I hope you're feeling better now. I guess that doesn't make those "FIRST" posts any less obnoxious, though. Especially when they are actually the second or third.

--------------
"I'm no physicist, but technically couldn't Mike both be with the horse and be flying through space at the same time? (On account of the earth's orbit around the Sun and all that). So it seems he never had to make the choice after all. I bet he's kicking himself now." - clotty
Profile PM 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: Mar. 25 2008, 09:57

Hi sweetpea.Feeling much better now.A little frayed around the edges and my nerves are shot,but better thank you  :laugh:

--------------
THE COMING OF THE GREAT WHITE HANDKERCHEIF IS NIGH.
Profile PM 
Silver Negus Offline

Posted: April 14 2008, 10:35

List of punishments... Who goes first then?
HaHa ;-)
Profile PM 
Scatterplot Offline

Posted: April 14 2008, 13:11

Yeah...............force them to look at a picture of Hillary Clinton for an hour.......Or watch her desperate manouver on the Ellen Degeneres show to get the female vote...or her stupid comment....trying to be like JFK with the space program..."I want to set a goal. To cure breast cancer in 10 years". Yheahh right. Not a word about prostate cancer(killed Frank Zappa, Dan Fogelberg, 1000's of others). We know her target audience now. Anyone seen "I Am Legend"? This is what happens when someone stupid is in power. You end up with Will Smith having to strangle his only loved one.  Sorry. But there's a good punishment. RE: Instrumental albums by Steve Howe. I got one yesterday as well, "Not Necessarily Acoustic". Great stuff! 22 tracks of fine instrumental music. I used to say as far as YES goes, I liked the Trevor Rabin times better. You got me to thinking. Thanks. I need to go get more. RE: the "heee heeee" sh&^ y'all are talking about. I add that ONLY if I am jovial, which is very rare. Another thing I can't stand is "LOL". Sorry, but it just......it's friggin' immature. Like Hillary Clinton.
Jim

--------------
We raise our voices in the night
Crying to heaven
And will our voices be heard
Or will they break Like the wind
Profile PM 
Tayniee Offline

Posted: April 14 2008, 16:03

Awwwhh,you're just sore Scatterplot cos no ones wished you Happy Birthday today.

Happy 96th Birthday !!!

You cantankerous old buggar.

We LOVE you.

--------------
As we all know, endings are just beginnings.
Profile PM 
Bassman Offline

Posted: April 14 2008, 16:12

Oh my God, I think I have used "LOL" on occasion here in the past.  I don't, usually.  Sorry if I offended.  Mama taught me to respect the elderly!        ;)  :)
Profile PM 
Sweetpea Offline

Posted: April 27 2008, 05:25

Quote (Bassman @ April 14 2008, 16:12)
Oh my God, I think I have used "LOL" on occasion here in the past.  I don't, usually.  Sorry if I offended.

I have nothing against "LOL". In fact, I use it myself on occasion. "pwned", however, can't disappear fast enough. And don't get me started on "!!!!!!!!!!!!!!".

--------------
"I'm no physicist, but technically couldn't Mike both be with the horse and be flying through space at the same time? (On account of the earth's orbit around the Sun and all that). So it seems he never had to make the choice after all. I bet he's kicking himself now." - clotty
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: April 28 2008, 17:57

Quote (Sweetpea @ April 27 2008, 11:25)
"pwned", however, can't disappear fast enough. And don't get me started on "!!!!!!!!!!!!!!".

What the heck are these?!? :D Especially, what does "pwned" mean? Some Internet slang I'm not familiar with? Please explain... :)

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
Harmono Offline

Posted: April 28 2008, 18:41

I'm sure I've been pwnd once or twice. Pwnd is written all over the internet, but like Ugo, I've no idea what it means.

LOL is something I use sometimes and OMG too, although I have no Gods.
Profile PM 
Bassman Offline

Posted: April 28 2008, 19:03

Apparently "pwned" is a stepped-up derivation of "owned".  One is "owned" when one has been bested in some fashion by someone else whose skills or knowledge are superior to their own (as in, "I OWNED you on that one).  "Pwned" started when someone was too careless to see they hit the "p" key, rather than the "o" key.  It was immediately seized upon as a "cooler" phrase.  In internet parlance, there is a constant rush to see who can appear hipper than their contemporaries.

This bit of trivia has been brought to you by my 15 year-old son, who constantly tries to pwn me, but fails (sorry, Liam).

:)
Profile PM 
Matt Offline

Group: Admins
Posted: April 28 2008, 19:15

Quote (Bassman @ April 29 2008, 00:03)
Apparently "pwned" is a stepped-up derivation of "owned".  One is "owned" when one has been bested in some fashion by someone else whose skills or knowledge are superior to their own (as in, "I OWNED you on that one).  "Pwned" started when someone was too careless to see they hit the "p" key, rather than the "o" key.  It was immediately seized upon as a "cooler" phrase.  In internet parlance, there is a constant rush to see who can appear hipper than their contemporaries.

This bit of trivia has been brought to you by my 15 year-old son, who constantly tries to pwn me, but fails (sorry, Liam).

:)

and there was me thinking it had something to do with chess!

--------------
"I say I say I say I say, what's got three bottles and five eyes and no legs and two wheels"
Profile PM 
Harmono Offline

Posted: April 28 2008, 19:30

Jeez, I feel so old, but I'm only 27.
Profile PM 
Sir Mustapha Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: April 28 2008, 20:04

I think I used "pwned" very few times, and all of them in a highly ironic fashion. I use "owned" sometimes, with humour. "LOL" is my preferred way to represent laughter - better than lengthier counterparts like "hahahahaha" or something.

But I'm quite restrictive with my use of Internet speak - I don't want my texts to look like something out of Encyclopaedia Dramatica (the unfunny version of the Uncyclopedia).

--------------
Check out http://ferniecanto.com.br for all my music, including my latest albums: Don't Stay in the City, Making Amends and Builders of Worlds.
Also check my Bandcamp page: http://ferniecanto.bandcamp.com
Profile PM WEB 
Sweetpea Offline

Posted: April 29 2008, 03:56

Quote (Harmono @ April 28 2008, 18:41)
LOL is something I use sometimes and OMG too, although I have no Gods.

What's really sad is when one accidentally lets "LOL" slip out in real-life conversations. Not that I've done it.

And what I dislike about the use of "!!!!!!!!!!!", Ugo, is the lack of sensitivity to the exponential inflections achieved by reckless exclamating. IMO, one, two, or even three exclamation marks are acceptable and - in fact - express important nuances within the exclamatory strata. But once one exceeds triple marks (and this goes for '????????' as well), the integrity of the system drowns under punctuatory excess!

--------------
Profile PM 
26 replies since Mar. 20 2008, 07:47 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (2) < [1] 2 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net