Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: The Fifth Ring, How to get it< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
nightspore Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Mar. 25 2009, 07:57

The first four rings are easy... but after I touch the white snake and get taken underwater I either end up on an endless dolphin ride or trapped near the underwater castle. The only way I can escape is to shoot a ring at the shark, causing havoc. Any suggestions?
Profile PM 
The Thin Man Offline

Posted: Mar. 25 2009, 16:24

Hi Nightspore.  As the rings can be collected in more or less any sequence, the "fifth" ring doesn't narrow it down too much.  However, it's pretty obvious where you are though!

Without giving the game away, your dolphin ride is not (necessarily) endless.  Have you shot rings on to their noses?  Have you ringed all the dolphins?  Are you sure?  It sometimes takes a while to ring them all so perhaps there is one you've left unringed?  Once you've completed the task you will move to the next scene.

The shark is to be avoided.  Incidentally, this shark is also in Maestro, but hidden away; have you played that yet?

If you dive to the bottom of the area where the dolphins are playing then you will arrive at a submerged castle.  Have you thoroughly explored inside the castle?  There is a way out from the castle too.  There's another dolphin down there who might help.

Happy hunting!
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: Mar. 25 2009, 19:52

Hi Thin Man,

Thanks for this. I didn't know one had to "ring" all the dolphins. I certainly ringed one of them. I only used the shark as getting away from what seemed an interminable sequence. Yes, I've completed both quests
on Maestro - I'm sure you've answered some of my early-days questions about it, actually - but I don't remember seeing the shark in it. Where is it? Below the water in the Bird Cave?
Profile PM 
a_r_schulz Offline

Posted: Mar. 26 2009, 11:34

Nice to see that there are still people getting into the MusicVR games - I'm lauching them only very occasionally these days, but they're still fun...
You may have failed to notice that there is another dolphin who is no swimming and jumping around with his mates - try to cheer him up by giving him a ring...
It's also worth trying to leave a different ring of the three origin rings behind, letting the mask in the temple send you back to pick it up as seventh ring...

P.S.: The shark is not actually 'in' Maestro :-) though still close to the bells cave (check the Maestro maps section).
Profile PM WEB 
nightspore Offline

Posted: Mar. 26 2009, 21:04

I've been on the lookout for that dolphin, having read about it in the guide. But so far it eludes me. And the ray disappears lickety split, too, unlike that huge jellyfish.

I hope Mike does another game. With the advance of technology something even better should be possible.
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Mar. 27 2009, 21:31

@ Daniel/nightspore: the ray is supposed to disappear very fast once he carried you in the dolphins' area. As for the dolphin in the underwater castle, he appears only when playing a particular three-part sequence which involves him grabbing a diamond ring. Alan D. taught me this sequence, which starts from the very end of the canyon, and which unfortunately I don't remember anymore. :/ It's not part of the rings game, it's just one of those beautiful, purely visual sequences that make Tr3s Lunas so enjoyable. At least for me.

As for the fifth ring, I always do it like this, so you can do it too:

- When you are in the dolphins game, look for the static dolphin avatar near the water's surface (the one mentioned by A.R. Schulz above here). Do not grab him, or, if you do, let go of him. Instead, shoot him without shooting any of the others. This will end the game instantly.

- Let the ray bring you back to the mainland.

- Go to the horses and play their wonderful sequence.

- Once the horses have flown away, go to the small island on the lake where the mantis is. The 5th ring is at her feet. From there onwards, it's easy. :)

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
Scatterplot Offline

Posted: Mar. 28 2009, 02:57

Just find the plasma rifle and blast anything that moves. I'm an old DOOM fan it always works. Duke Nuke 'Em, Blood......oh yeah. My fav. tho, was Road Rash. This was a motorcycle racing game with cops and lots of fun, dudes hitting you with chains during the races. If you got cought by the cops racing, you could see a Doberman tearing your clothes as you watched your bike in ruins. Fun stuff. Never could get it to run after Windows XP came out. Those were the days.

--------------
We raise our voices in the night
Crying to heaven
And will our voices be heard
Or will they break Like the wind
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: Mar. 28 2009, 07:16

Quote (Ugo @ Mar. 27 2009, 21:31)
\

As for the fifth ring, I always do it like this, so you can do it too:

- When you are in the dolphins game, look for the static dolphin avatar near the water's surface (the one mentioned by A.R. Schulz above here). Do not grab him, or, if you do, let go of him. Instead, shoot him without shooting any of the others.

Thanks, Ugo. As I say, finding the static dolphin is my main problem. The trouble is, the others leap about as though there were no tomorrow, carrying me with them! New-age thuggery, if you ask me!

As I think you said in one of your earlier posts, Tres Lunas has a very different feel from Maestro. It would be interesting to start a discussion about how this seems to be reflected in the progression of MO's music itself. What I mean is that while Tres Lunas is rich and exuberant, Maestro is all about emptiness, great caverns of solitude, and the final goal - Mike's World - contains a tombstone!  And Light and Shade has that same feel of absence and loss as well. I hasten to add that these qualities give Maestro a fascination for me; I wouldn't have it any other way.
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Mar. 28 2009, 10:55

Quote (nightspore @ Mar. 28 2009, 13:16)
The trouble is, the others leap about as though there were no tomorrow, carrying me with them! New-age thuggery, if you ask me!

When you get caught by anything, just press the right mouse button and you'll be released instantly. I guess Tr3s Lunas is strictly a Windows game... Mac mouses ain't got no right-click. :D

About Maestro, I can't comment on that because I've never really played it (no time). But I don't think that the mood change from 3L to Maestro is related to changes in Mike's music. 3L and L+S are just two different albums, different phases of an artist's musical path, and there's no reason at all - at least to me - to suppose that their musical mood is linked to the games, or vice versa. I can't find any feelings of absence and loss in L+S, and I actually like it more than 3L. :)

--------------
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: Mar. 28 2009, 21:37

Quote (Ugo @ Mar. 28 2009, 10:55)
I can't find any feelings of absence and loss in L+S

Really? Many of the pieces on L&S connote to me absolute, irretrievable loss. "Sunset", "Blackbird", "Rocky"... I seem to remember Sweetpea buying into this topic on the L&S thread itself.
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Mar. 29 2009, 08:53

Quote (nightspore @ Mar. 29 2009, 03:37)
Quote (Ugo @ Mar. 28 2009, 10:55)
I can't find any feelings of absence and loss in L+S

Really? Many of the pieces on L&S connote to me absolute, irretrievable loss. "Sunset", "Blackbird", "Rocky"... I seem to remember Sweetpea buying into this topic on the L&S thread itself.

To me those pieces are just melancholic. "Rocky", in particular, evokes a slightly classical, Chopinesque melancholy. It just doesn't feel to me like it's expressing the loss of anything. Of course this is personal, and I can't argue about personal feelings.

--------------
Profile PM 
a_r_schulz Offline

Posted: Mar. 29 2009, 17:17

A few points:
- Could some mod check -  I tried to post a joint picture of the 'lost creatures' from Maestro (including the shark) to 'Photo Gallery » Screenshots for Maestro Guide » Assorted Images', but it's not there yet - maybe too big (just 44k, but 1920 pix wide)?
- I always found the small dolphin at Underwater Castle so far - no special tricks required AFAIK, no matter how you get there.
- Right mouse button works for releasing some objects that catch you - you will need the 'return' key to release any of the others, like the two 'static' dolphins, and the other avatars.
- I don't see any difference of when you pass a ring to the big static dolphin - you may do this any time when you get tired of playing with its jumping mates, or continue until all your rings are used up.

@Ugo: Yes, the very end of the canyon is a nice start for an excursion (and I mean the VERY end...), and the diamond ring is really small, just about right the size for a very small dolphin...

Maybe the whole thread should better be moved over to the spoiler section?
Profile PM WEB 
nightspore Offline

Posted: Mar. 29 2009, 21:30

Quote (a_r_schulz @ Mar. 29 2009, 17:17)
A few points:
- Could some mod check -  I tried to post a joint picture of the 'lost creatures' from Maestro (including the shark) to 'Photo Gallery » Screenshots for Maestro Guide » Assorted Images', but it's not there yet - maybe too big (just 44k, but 1920 pix wide)?

If it's any help, your avatar picture shows a broken link too.
Profile PM 
a_r_schulz Offline

Posted: Mar. 30 2009, 04:25

Quote (nightspore @ Mar. 30 2009, 03:30)
If it's any help, your avatar picture shows a broken link too.

Yes, I know - but that's a different thing. The avatar must be on public webspace, which in my case was restructured by my provider some time ago and I'm just too lazy to fix it.
Gallery images OTOH are uploaded directly from your local machine to tubular.net when posting an article and require moderation to become visible in the forum (and have some size limit IIRC).
Profile PM WEB 
olracUK Offline

Posted: Mar. 30 2009, 14:54

AlanD was modding the MVR gallery pics' and he's not been that active around here lately. Real life has lots else to keep him busy I fear!

The dolphin that is all alone by the castle, I'll have to investigate, but I recall that it was hardly ever there until I upgraded my TL version. So it might have something to do with which version you are playing when you see it.

Anyway - it's great that people are still playing these wonderful gammes. Even if we can count us on the fingers of 1 hand! I even set up a Facebook group if you're interested.

MVR  @ Facebook

--------------
The answer is 42 - but what is the question?
Profile PM 
Alan D Offline

Posted: April 05 2009, 06:06

Quote (olracUK @ Mar. 30 2009, 19:54)
AlanD was modding the MVR gallery pics' and he's not been that active around here lately.

Hi Andy. Alan D is still modding the MVR gallery pics, and checks for new ones every couple of days - but he's been away from home for a week, so this new one hasn't been dealt with till now.

The pic should be up and running now, Andreas.
Profile PM 
Alan D Offline

Posted: April 05 2009, 06:11

Quote (a_r_schulz @ Mar. 29 2009, 22:17)
Maybe the whole thread should better be moved over to the spoiler section?

My magic wand only works for the TL and Maestro guides and their galleries, Andreas, so nothing happens if I wave it over this thread, alas.
Profile PM 
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: April 05 2009, 10:22

Quote (Alan D @ April 05 2009, 10:11)
My magic wand only works for the TL and Maestro guides and their galleries, Andreas, so nothing happens if I wave it over this thread, alas.

Your wish is my command *wave*...in this case at least. I'm afraid I may not be able to help with wishes for vast riches, the long-awaited follow on to Amarok, or dumplings on the end of your nose.
Profile PM 
Alan D Offline

Posted: April 05 2009, 16:35

It's the dumplings I was particularly hopeful about, Korg.
Profile PM 
18 replies since Mar. 25 2009, 07:57 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net