Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: The faint singing on Charleston., You may need good gear to hear this.< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Duggeh Offline

Group: Members
Posted: May 16 2006, 12:03

Listening to Charleston between 0:49 and 1:04, there seems to be an extremely faint female singer in the back of the mix, and just before it cuts to the piano theres a sound almost like someone imitating the sound of a sneeze. Can anyone else hear this?

Its an almost way-ooo sound. Very difficult to make out. If you can hear the valves clicking on the brass at the start then you should be able to make it out.

--------------
http://www.thismanwillkillyou.com
http://www.last.fm/user/Dougmac21
Profile PM WEB 
ImAFoolAndImLaughing Offline

Posted: May 16 2006, 12:11

Just...! Had to plug in me earphones and turn the volume up to deafening poing before I could discern it, but it's there. Still undecided whether it's a female vocalist, an instrument, or just some kind of feedback or distortion, though....

Or... Maybe our copies of Platinum are HAUNTED, Duggeh...Whooo!

Tony :)

--------------
"I was in this prematurely air conditioned supermarket and there were these bathing caps you could buy that had these kind of Fourth of July plumes on them that were red and yellow and blue and I wasn't tempted to buy one but I was reminded of the fact that I had been avoiding the beach."
Profile PM 
Duggeh Offline

Posted: May 17 2006, 01:40

Heheh. After my exams are finished im gonna give the whole album a good going over for further clues. I love discovering more and more about my favourite music with better gear.

--------------
Profile PM WEB 
Piltdownboy on horseback 22 Offline

Posted: May 17 2006, 07:07

Hehehhe... auch... my ears still hurt  :p

but it's deafinately there. Man you must have the best hifi in the world to find that out.
I deafenately heard a woman singing some noises yes, and I believe a bit of guitar, but that could be my imagination running away with me... hehe... before I know it I'll hear a goat singing backwards

cool! :cool:

--------------
"And now we're going to play Platinum!"
Profile PM 
Duggeh Offline

Posted: May 17 2006, 17:23

Yeah I wont beat about the bush, I have some of the best headphones on the planet. But without the magic of Mike, they wouldnt be worth using. :D

--------------
Profile PM WEB 
ImAFoolAndImLaughing Offline

Posted: May 17 2006, 19:14

Actually, there are lots of bits of the Platinum suite that surprise you when you listen through headphones. Was listening to Airborne tonight, and noticed, for the first time ever, those lovely quiet chime-sounds playing the harmonics at the beginning :)

Tony :)

--------------
"I was in this prematurely air conditioned supermarket and there were these bathing caps you could buy that had these kind of Fourth of July plumes on them that were red and yellow and blue and I wasn't tempted to buy one but I was reminded of the fact that I had been avoiding the beach."
Profile PM 
Duggeh Offline

Posted: May 18 2006, 11:08

Haha, I remember when I first spotted that.

--------------
Profile PM WEB 
larstangmark Offline

Posted: July 16 2007, 16:38

I hereby bump this thread.

I have a theory about this. To record Mike's whispering (diddly-bap etc), they propably had to raise the input level quite a bit and add compression. Un unwanted effect of this is that everything that happens in the room tends to be heard (shuffling of feet, the sound of jeans rubbing against a chair, sneezing, scratching).

There's also a bit where you hear the brass parts very low (that's in the skibbidy-bap part) and the bass is dominant. Sometimes I've imagined that the brass come from headphone leakage, i e Mike could have been listening to the track with all tracks "on" when recording the vocal. I could be wrong. Just a theory.

--------------
"There are twelve people in the world, the rest are paste"
Mark E Smith
Profile PM WEB 
Velodynamic Offline

Posted: Aug. 17 2007, 19:41

Quote (larstangmark @ July 16 2007, 22:38)
I hereby bump this thread.

There's also a bit where you hear the brass parts very low (that's in the skibbidy-bap part) and the bass is dominant. Sometimes I've imagined that the brass come from headphone leakage, i e Mike could have been listening to the track with all tracks "on" when recording the vocal. I could be wrong. Just a theory.

I think it sounds as a good theory.
What I hear is the whole previous trumpet lead real faint in the distant background. At first I thought that it was a synthesized sound that was meant to be there...but now I'm not that sure anymore. I could actually be as you said, a leakage from the headphones.    :)

--------------
"...I've never seen a connection between music and politics.
It's like trying to connect football with croquet." -M.O.
Profile PM 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: Feb. 15 2008, 12:52

It's definately there.Glad someone else has noticed it.It does sound tinny so the headphone leakage idea is probably right.Also i have heard the woo female bit just before the start of North Star and yes the chimes at the start.The bizarre thing is i heard this on my crappy mid 80's vinyl copy as clear as a bell (no pun intended)when i first got it.But then i was 10 so my hearing was better then.But i can still hear it now.And i reckon it's a sneeze at the start.
 I really like the fact that a lot of it was made at Electric Lady in NYC.Jimi never did anything like this-although i love Jimi.
Would i be right in thinking Woodhenge was made slightly earlier in Througham?It sounds more English somehow.

--------------
THE COMING OF THE GREAT WHITE HANDKERCHEIF IS NIGH.
Profile PM 
&y Offline

Posted: Mar. 02 2008, 20:03

Hi,

Yes, most musicians do record with one ear in their headphones, and one out so they can hear their instrument. The extra sound could easily be the sound "bleeding" from the open headphone and being picked up by the musician's mic.

If that is the case, it makes me wonder what arrangement the musicians were playing to that was different to the final mix...

&y
Profile PM 
trcanberra Offline

Posted: Mar. 03 2008, 03:44

Also noticed an odd sound about 5 seconds or so in Into Wonderland - sounds a bit like a word or two of vocals - anyone with better equipment notice it and able to tell what it is?
Profile PM 
larstangmark Offline

Posted: Mar. 03 2008, 04:13

Quote (&y @ Mar. 02 2008, 20:03)
Hi,

Yes, most musicians do record with one ear in their headphones, and one out so they can hear their instrument. The extra sound could easily be the sound "bleeding" from the open headphone and being picked up by the musician's mic.

If that is the case, it makes me wonder what arrangement the musicians were playing to that was different to the final mix...

&y

It's possible that Charleston was edited using the faders of the mixing desk. Perhaps the brass players play all through the track and Mike just drew down the faders for the parts where he didn't want to brass to be heard. That could explain why Mike is doing the "skibbidy-bap" thing while listening to something that appears to be another section of the track. Just a theory, not to be confused with actual fact.

--------------
Mark E Smith
Profile PM WEB 
larstangmark Offline

Posted: Oct. 02 2008, 16:09

Quote (trcanberra @ Mar. 03 2008, 03:44)
Also noticed an odd sound about 5 seconds or so in Into Wonderland - sounds a bit like a word or two of vocals - anyone with better equipment notice it and able to tell what it is?

It sounds like a woman saying a sentence that begins with "Oh yes..." but I don't get the rest. It's weird when you think of how many of these little artefacts were left in there when they used this expensive NY studio.

--------------
Mark E Smith
Profile PM WEB 
ingresman Offline

Posted: Nov. 26 2008, 07:37

Nothing to do with Mike but I have a sopranos sound track album which has Frank Sinatra singing It was a very good year and just before you hear him start singing you can hear a creak, which I assume is the stool he's sitting on in the studio and is moving up towards the mic to start siging probabby just after exhaling a ciggie !, it's very evocative
Profile PM 
Bassman Offline

Posted: Nov. 26 2008, 11:24

It's just musique concrete, folks.  Just one of the wonderful things that makes high-end audio gear worth having!  It's awesome!  God, I love me stereo.

Or it could simply be ghosts in the machine, couldn't it?

:)

Edited to include:  Actually, it would be more accurate to call it audio verite'.  My bad.
Profile PM 
equinoxe Offline

Posted: Aug. 12 2011, 14:58

Well i think the master tapes lay on the shelves for a long time and the sound just imprint through some layers and made something like ghost reflection... You can hear the same sort of "ghost sounds" in Rendez Vous part 3 by Jarre, where the forthcoming sounds are barelly audible earlier...
Profile PM 
AUTOMATIC 18 Offline

Posted: Aug. 12 2012, 21:52

Probably crosstalk between channels on the master. The master is probably 24 or 36 track and there would be a lot going on!
Profile PM WEB 
17 replies since May 16 2006, 12:03 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net