Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (2) < 1 [2] >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: The Essential Mike Oldfield, Is this available on DVD?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Ugo Offline

Group: Members
Posted: June 16 2012, 18:15

Yes, that DVD is like the European version of Alan Parsons Live, the one with the Storm Thorgerson cover pictured below here. Not official, but just-as-excellent-as-any-official-Alan-Parsons-release. :D

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
equinoxe Offline

Posted: July 02 2012, 12:31

Quote (Ugo @ June 16 2012, 18:15)
Yes, that DVD is like the European version of Alan Parsons Live, the one with the Storm Thorgerson cover pictured below here. Not official, but just-as-excellent-as-any-official-Alan-Parsons-release. :D

How it could be unofficial release, if it's available legally on the net shops? I'am interested in buying this DVD, because it's available on one of main net shops in my country... One of my top Mike Oldfield's live shows ever in my ranking.
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: July 02 2012, 18:14

@ equinoxe: not everything that's available for sale on the Net is legal and officially sanctioned by the artist(s). If you look for Eric Clapton's An Acoustic Tale, you will surely find it for sale on the Net, but it's not an official album - it's a bootleg of his MTV Unplugged show, and, by the way, it's much better than the official release. :cool: Mike Oldfield's The Essential DVD is for sale, but it's not an official release because it was never officially released on DVD. Regarding Alan Parsons Live, outside of Italy it was officially released by Arcade Records, a small Dutch label. Here in Italy it was supposed to be picked up by Parsons' label at the time, Sony Music, but they never did. So an equally small Italian label, named Offworld (does this remind you of something? :D), which is specialized in bootlegs, picked it up from Arcade with no authorization whatsoever from the artist and released it, and of course it sold well enough for a post-2000 Alan Parsons release. :)  So it's on sale on many non-Italian online shops, but you won't find it listed on any Italian shop (such as amazon.it), because here it's considered, by all means, a bootleg. Mike's DVD is the same - it's considered a bootleg everywhere but in France, as its label is French.

--------------
Profile PM 
Milamber Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: July 02 2012, 23:10

Has anyone here bought that Essential bootleg DVD???

Interested to know what the quality is like, I'm gathering it's taken from the Japanese laserdisc.
Profile PM 
equinoxe Offline

Posted: July 03 2012, 02:05

Thanks Ugo for bringing the matter clear :) I'am interested in buying this DVD (even as it's unofficial) but i'am also highly curious about the material quality what makes me a little uncertain...
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: July 06 2012, 18:40

@ Milamber: I did buy it. It's excellent. Not 100% perfect (it looks a little bit like a TV broadcast! :D) but excellent.

EDIT: I just saw that there are Japanese subtitles on the interview sections (which I had skipped before), so it's indeed a copy/transfer of the Japanese laserdisc. So I guess that the fact it looks like a TV broadcast is justified. :D

--------------
Profile PM 
Milamber Offline

Posted: July 09 2012, 19:43

Thanks Ugo...  :)

Mine has the subs too.
Profile PM 
tubular_trekkie Offline

Posted: July 21 2012, 09:34

Just got this after much debating about whether it would be worth it quality-wise.
Glad I did though! It's pretty decent for something that's apparently a bootleg. Shame about the Japanese subtitles and the 'Spotlight' logo on all the footage, but I suppose that's a minor nit-pick. Thanks for the recommendation!

--------------
"The concept of progress acts as a protective mechanism to shield us from the terrors of the future."

- from 'Collected Sayings of Muad'Dib' by the Princess Irulan
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: July 21 2012, 18:41

As I said in my other posts above, this Essential DVD release is just as "official" as that Alan Parsons live album which was never supposed to be released in Italy. The recording was official, the Italian release was not. The Essential M.O. does have, of course, an official digital release - the Japanese laserdisc - of which this DVD is nothing but an unofficial transfer. So, again, the recording is official even if this particular release of it is not - so  I wouldn't really call it a "bootleg". :) Spotlight, by the way, is a Russian company. I think, judging from past experiences with websites etc., that current Russian laws make no distinction between official and unofficial releases.

--------------
Profile PM 
Bradnorman Offline

Posted: July 21 2012, 20:04

Get a life Ugo!

--------------
‘Is my team ploughing,  
 'That I was used to drive  
And hear the harness jingle  
 When I was man alive?'

Life is arbitrary
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: July 21 2012, 20:44

I do have a life, thank you. And thank God it's a hundred million miles away from this board, this keyboard, this PC and the Internet in general.

--------------
Profile PM 
tubular_trekkie Offline

Posted: July 22 2012, 06:29

Quote (Ugo @ July 21 2012, 23:41)
As I said in my other posts above, this Essential DVD release is just as "official" as that Alan Parsons live album which was never supposed to be released in Italy. The recording was official, the Italian release was not. The Essential M.O. does have, of course, an official digital release - the Japanese laserdisc - of which this DVD is nothing but an unofficial transfer. So, again, the recording is official even if this particular release of it is not - so  I wouldn't really call it a "bootleg". :) Spotlight, by the way, is a Russian company. I think, judging from past experiences with websites etc., that current Russian laws make no distinction between official and unofficial releases.

I see your point. In that sense I suppose it is more of a pirate/illicit copy than it is a bootleg.

I'd be surprised if we ever see an official release of this particular title on DVD; it seems too obviously dated in it's treatment to me - but who knows? Perhaps the footage will one day get re-released in a differently presented/edited manner. Personally I hate the idea that there's footage 'out there' that could be available - officially - on DVD (or Blu ray! ) that's probably never going to see the light of day.

--------------
"The concept of progress acts as a protective mechanism to shield us from the terrors of the future."

- from 'Collected Sayings of Muad'Dib' by the Princess Irulan
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: July 22 2012, 07:58

Quote (tubular_trekkie @ July 22 2012, 12:29)
Personally I hate the idea that there's footage 'out there' that could be available - officially - on DVD (or Blu ray! ) that's probably never going to see the light of day.

Of course it's there. Where is all the stuff he did here? Where's Viareggio? Where are the 2 gigs he did in Udine on the Then & Now tour? Those shows were professionally filmed and recorded [a friend of mine who was there in Udine told me there were huge lorries from RAI and Mediaset parked outside - needless to say, the shows were never aired!], so there's plenty of boot recordings out there of excellent quality - both audio-only and audio/video. I myself have got some. :) But if Mike doesn't want them released, they will never be.

--------------
Profile PM 
rogeerabbit Offline

Posted: Dec. 30 2012, 08:10

Yes there is a copy available on Amazon, as I purchased one recently. However you may have check out Amazon.com to see if they have one.

Excellent viewing, a nice part to my collection of Mike DVD's.

Rogeerabbit.
Profile PM 
Nexus6 Offline

Posted: May 01 2013, 07:51

I just saw the full video on Youtube (Live in Knebworth 1980) and I really like the bit from 43:33... never heard it before but sounds great. Any idea what song this is?

Thanks a lot ....
Profile PM 
larstangmark Offline

Posted: May 02 2013, 14:06

Quote (Nexus6 @ May 01 2013, 07:51)
I just saw the full video on Youtube (Live in Knebworth 1980) and I really like the bit from 43:33... never heard it before but sounds great. Any idea what song this is?

Thanks a lot ....

Took me a while to figure out, but I think it's just a variation of the part of original TB part 2 that preceeds Sailor's Hornpipe. It's the double-speed boogie-rock version.  :/
Actually, it's the only part of the otherwise brilliant Knebworth video that I don't enjoy that much.

--------------
"There are twelve people in the world, the rest are paste"
Mark E Smith
Profile PM WEB 
Milamber Offline

Posted: May 02 2013, 22:44

Figures. :D

From memory Mike add libs that part.
Always been the highlight of that concert for me, just brilliant.

Pity he totally fluffs it on the Exposed DVD.
Profile PM 
Nexus6 Offline

Posted: May 03 2013, 07:59

Wouldn't the world be boring if we had all the same taste ;-) . Thanks folks :-)
Profile PM 
37 replies since July 31 2009, 08:51 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (2) < 1 [2] >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net