[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (3) < 1 [2] 3 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: The End of a Legend?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Stefan Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Mar. 12 2000, 11:55

OK, longer than I planned, but well...

First of all I agree with those who say that the depth and personality is hardly "feelable" anymore in MO music. However, all CDs have some highlights though. Even Voyager had this for me real masterpiece Wild Goose flaps it Wings. What a great and strange instrument combination. I saw MO live last year and its clear why this changed. He is now going for the quick results, for effects and he is finally enjoying and accepting that people praise him. But this made him IMO also quite lazy and self-statisfied. No longer that painstaking composing as he did the last time for SODE and even then I complained that the percussions are used by looping sequences. In MOs old music he never just looped anything. He always played even the repition live and changed here and their minor things. This is totally gone! I don't see how people say you can still discover things on the latest albums of MO. Actually I like most parts of MB a lot though its incredible short and the Rondo and final I don't like a little bit, but at least the tracks he wrote are written with more patient this time though I don't see there any "higher meaning" or a really big concept like SODE had for example. Still waiting for the first CD since SODE which is one big "symphony" / music composition. Now, his CDs sound like collected little tracks which have nothing really in common.

However, the thing which makes me really worry is, MO of the early 90's right after composing Amarok would have judged about this music, his music of today, quite harsh I bet. Remember all his interviews where he said he never listens to other music. He is always unique and so on. How does techno fit into these statements? He never wanted to make any compromises to be more "commercialazable" or more attractice for listeners. Are these statements really valid anymore?
Profile PM 
martinec Offline

Posted: Mar. 12 2000, 13:30

Hi Stefan

I think you are right.I think MO wants to do more commercial music.Track of TMB Santa Maria is similar with Vangelis Conquest Of Paradise.And Mastermind - its not MO.I like albums which I dont like for the first listening.The best albums(like Amarok or Ommadawn, TB) are that you must listen more times.New albums are nice for the first listening and its not good like the older albums.
Sorry of my English
I´m czech.
Profile PM 
ex member 337 Offline

Group: Awaiting Authorisation
Posted: May 30 2000, 16:58

Sometime quite soon there is going to be a
massive backlash against dance and
synthetic sounding music, I believe that
an artist will spearhead this and I think it
would be an idea for Mike to do so.
Profile PM 
ex member 337 Offline

Group: Awaiting Authorisation
Posted: May 30 2000, 17:03

Cont..
The recent sucess of Santana etc. has begun to make the record companies realise what people really want - Real music played by real musicians.
Profile PM 

Unregistered

Posted: June 27 2000, 16:00

Well ladies and gentlemen!

I've read all these words from you and a little disappointed. So now i'm listening to MB and writing my oppinion.

Well, after my first MO record was TB2, it was a huge doze of inspiration for me, and i've started collecting all the MO lp's. Even Voyager was a hard piece for the first listening, but i love it.

TB III: A surprising piece, some say it's a remake, some it's great, but after seeing it live on th DVD can anyone say it isn't great. I've listened that song (Secrets/Far above the clouds)for a hundred times. IT'S HUGE, AMAZING, FABULOUS!!!!!!!

MB: well listening to it, it's not bad, not the best MO album but great it it's own way. The variety of styles, and don't try to say that it' a huge stealing from Vangelis, Russians, etc. Pacha Mama is a typical MO song with FEELING!

Can't U feel it? 'cause i can. I must listen it for some days, now i'm ready to write about it. Not an easy album but i like it.

It's not the bad way, it's just new.

PEOPLE ARE YOU AFRAID OF SOMETHING NEW? DON'T RIDE BYCICLES, don't use the wheel.

OK, it wqs a little strong, i also like to hear something more like TB, AMAROK. But MB is not bad, except that terrible DJ pipi shit.

Amber Light, Pacha Mama, Mastermind, Sunlight...etc etc. These are great tracks, just listen it on a usual evening, sit back and just listen, enjoy.....

Thanx for patience MO fans smile)))

Unregistered

Posted: June 27 2000, 16:19

i almost forgot the remixes smile

BT, The Orb, Hrdfloor (ALL EXCELLENT), oh and don't forget jam&spoon smile

and lake constance, broad sunlit... smile

great,great,great...

Greeting from Hungary MO fans smile
raven4x4x Offline

Posted: April 30 2002, 04:44

So, you don't like this album? That's fine with me, but when you start talking about 'The end of a legend' you really are exagerating.

One question I've been wanting to ask is why are we always so tough on Mike? One album and all of a sudden he's lost it. I didn;t really like TMB until I bought the DVD. This album has quite a few good tracks on it. And I can;t understand why people are dissing the final track. Sure, it has a bit of techno, but the key word here is a BIT. The rest of the song is nice, and the Amber Light bit at the end is truly excelent and emotional. He uses the guitar a lot, and does a good job of it.

I also can't understand why prople are so closed-minded about techno music and synths. I hardly think that it is against emotion, as tamas says. I really like the techno in TMB. For me it is quite emotional. Different music will evoke different emotions in different people, and it is impossable to say that techno is against emotion. I personally don't like the classical music very much, but I understand that many others do, and i respect that. What evokes emotion in me might be dismissed as crap by the next guy. PMT's post of 01-06-2000 is exactly the sort of thing I disagree with. If someone likes an album that you don't they are not wrong for liking it, and they are not idiots. They just have differing opinions. Sorry for sounding absolutist, but one of my main principles is freedom, fairness and the like.

And, my evidence that Mike has not lost it is on the Millennium Bell DVD. Especially the track which accompanies the light show, but also the versions of Tubular BElls and Portsmouth. They should please even tamas and the rest. Visit http://www.iespana.es/Geltrular/english/ and go to Downloads/Live shows1 to get them. In particular the Berlin 2000 track may surprise you.

--------------
Thank-you for helping us help you help us all.
Profile PM 
raven4x4x Offline

Posted: July 08 2002, 03:51

Well, is anyone going to listen to them? What about Tres Lunas? Is that 'Mikeish' enough for you. Remember he is going to re-record Tubular Bells. That should make you all happy. Or will it? The way this topic goes I will be surprised if anyone here ever likes a MO album again. Please, I would very much appreciate some replies.
Profile PM 
Fingers Offline

Posted: April 22 2003, 11:11

A "simple" piece of music does not necessarily mean "banged together quickly" or with less thought than a more complex piece.

Just because a piece uses an orchestra - it doesn't make it classical music!

Just because it's not your preferred listening, doesn't make it any less valid, less artistic, or indeed, "rubbish"... It just isn't to your taste!

Personally I found TB3 and TMB too simplistic for my tastes, and this followed even more so with Tres Lunas. I am looking for greater depth in my listening than a series of 5 minute tunes. I eagerly await TB2003 for this very reason.

Other MO fans probably love the 80's pop material - and fair play to them.

If there was one successful formula that suited all, the music industry would be a very dull place!
Profile PM 
trcanberra Offline

Posted: Mar. 07 2008, 05:02

Quote (raven4x4x @ July 08 2002, 03:51)
Well, is anyone going to listen to them? What about Tres Lunas? Is that 'Mikeish' enough for you. Remember he is going to re-record Tubular Bells. That should make you all happy. Or will it? The way this topic goes I will be surprised if anyone here ever likes a MO album again. Please, I would very much appreciate some replies.

Well, personally, and having been a fan since 1973 - I love MB and feel it is just about as imaginative as anything Mike has ever done.

I don't need another TB, Ommadawn or Incantations - I have them on the shelf, listen a lot, love them.  I also love listening to Mike's music as he heads off into new directions.

I must admit, having been away from the music for a long time, that I was a bit wary, reading all the reviews around the place.

Well, I now have all but 2 of Mike's albums (they are in the mail) and I must say I don't know what all the fuss is about.  Yes, quality varies, but there is just as much to enjoy post Amarok as pre.
Profile PM 
HippyDave Offline

Posted: April 05 2008, 15:49

Quote (tamas @ Dec. 10 1999, 09:03)
Techno is against emotions. To speak about emotions in a non-emotional way? What kind of paradox it is???

Wow. You really, really don't understand techno, do you? Well, either that, or you've never heard any good techno, or you wouldn't have been so quick to dismiss it as unemotional.

I can only imagine what you made of Romance, if indeed your musical moral high ground allowed you to listen to it...  ;)
Profile PM WEB 
The Big BellEnd Offline

Posted: April 05 2008, 16:29

WOW, you know, every now and then a thread that was started in what seem's like another century nevermind another decade , is re-incarnated and given a new breath of life and brought back to all our attentions for us to ponder over again, almost as fresh and thought provoking as the day it was posted, a thread so powerful that one is gripped with with an almost inhuman, unreasoning, mind-bending supernatural urge to hear and see more, and be in open mouthed wondermeant and thank's for the the reprise of such a hidden gem that has clawed it's way to the forefront of our imagination's.
Unfortunately this is not one of those occasion's

--------------
I, ON THE OTHER HAND. AM A VICTIM OF YOUR CARNIVOUROUS LUNAR ACTIVITY.
Profile PM 
Sir Mustapha Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: April 05 2008, 16:31

Romance is the epitome of emotional techno: no other song in the world gives me the emotion of running around the room in terror, screaming and vomiting.

--------------
Check out http://ferniecanto.com.br for all my music, including my latest albums: Don't Stay in the City, Making Amends and Builders of Worlds.
Also check my Bandcamp page: http://ferniecanto.bandcamp.com
Profile PM WEB 
Bassman Offline

Posted: April 05 2008, 17:51

Well, it's entirely possible that Tamas has had the benefit of a few years hindsight and does not feel the way he once did about TMB.  If there's one absolute truth about MO's work it's that it affects us all on an emotional level-good AND bad, and that on occasion his work requires TIME to get into our bloodstreams.  With the world's ever-decreasing span of attention, I fear time may be what some are most unable to give.

It's true that not everything MO has touched turned to gold, but with all he has given to the world, I don't mind the occasional tune that makes me want to shake my butt around the house.
Profile PM 
Sweetpea Offline

Posted: April 06 2008, 00:41

Quote (Bassman @ April 05 2008, 17:51)
I don't mind the occasional tune that makes me want to shake my butt around the house.

That means it's good, right?

--------------
"I'm no physicist, but technically couldn't Mike both be with the horse and be flying through space at the same time? (On account of the earth's orbit around the Sun and all that). So it seems he never had to make the choice after all. I bet he's kicking himself now." - clotty
Profile PM 
Bassman Offline

Posted: April 06 2008, 08:16

Ha!  Believe me, only the coolest dance tunes would make me risk the ridicule I invite when I (what can only be described in the broadest possible terms) "dance".
Profile PM 
trcanberra Offline

Posted: April 14 2008, 07:20

Quote (martinec @ Mar. 12 2000, 13:30)
Hi Stefan

I think you are right.I think MO wants to do more commercial music.Track of TMB Santa Maria is similar with Vangelis Conquest Of Paradise.And Mastermind - its not MO.I like albums which I dont like for the first listening.The best albums(like Amarok or Ommadawn, TB) are that you must listen more times.New albums are nice for the first listening and its not good like the older albums.
                  Sorry of my English
                  I´m czech.

I was going to say "of course it's Mike Oldfield - says so on the cover", but it doesn't  ;)

Afraid I disagree (a lot).  The best albums (your opinion), new albums not good (also just your opinion).  This thread is full of it.

I don't mind people liking or not liking this stuff, but please stop with all the unjustified statements about lacking originality or feeling.  All opinion, I find lots of both in MB (also my opinion of course) - but the fact we differ on this means that none of these statements can be taken as, or should be proposed as, fact.
Profile PM 
trcanberra Offline

Posted: April 14 2008, 07:21

Quote (Bassman @ April 06 2008, 08:16)
Ha!  Believe me, only the coolest dance tunes would make me risk the ridicule I invite when I (what can only be described in the broadest possible terms) "dance".

Afraid MB title track and Far Above the Clouds have me doing just that - it's not a pretty sight  :D
Profile PM 
Korkesova Offline

Posted: April 16 2008, 13:28

Dear Mike !
Give them it ! Do your music your way. One isn´t able to make everbody happy.
It important for you  to do the music to make yourself happy !
 :)  :cool:
Be happy !
Your Blanka Korkesova from Czech Republik

--------------
it's never too late for me
Profile PM 
david0ff Offline

Posted: Mar. 10 2011, 18:35

Well I never entirely got into MB... you know, the techno stuff...inappropriate in my opinion.
My best track: Pacha Mama.

Mike, you have my best salutations. Please write us one of these magical secret tunes you have in stock before you go.

--------------
But as we all know, endings are just beginnings...
Profile PM 
41 replies since Dec. 10 1999, 09:03 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (3) < 1 [2] 3 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net