Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (2) < [1] 2 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: The End, WOW!< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Incantations Offline

Group: Members
Posted: July 25 2010, 19:01

Before a listen that I just did of Hergest Ridge, I have never taken an extremely deep note of the end of Part 2, besides the very end, which reminds me a bit of the end of GAtes of Delirium by Yes.

Ok, I'm getting sidetracked... What really stuck out on this listen was that abrubt transition from the thunderstom  sections trance-like qualities to the ends reiterations or Part 1's beauty, I think that is what Hergest Ridge is all about. That abrubt transition just feels so mystical, like a huge gust of awesome sweeping you off your feet.

Anyway, that is all that I really wanted to say, thanks for reading ;)

--------------
Hmm...
Profile PM 
familyjules Offline

Posted: July 26 2010, 06:40

Quote (Incantations @ July 25 2010, 19:01)
Before a listen that I just did of Hergest Ridge, I have never taken an extremely deep note of the end of Part 2, besides the very end, which reminds me a bit of the end of GAtes of Delirium by Yes.

What an awful thing to say!  Take it back at once!   :p

Jules

--------------
I like beer and I like cheese
Profile PM 
InsideOfYou Offline

Posted: July 26 2010, 17:50

Actually HR to a certain extent reminds me of Yes' "Tales From Topographic Oceans" - that pastoral 'thing'
Profile PM 
Incantations Offline

Posted: July 26 2010, 18:43

Well, I just ment those concluding notes that resolve that epic war, and I can see how it reminds you of TFTO, besides "The Ancient", which does vaguely resemble "thunderstorm", yet only in its standout intensity.

--------------
Hmm...
Profile PM 
familyjules Offline

Posted: July 27 2010, 08:53

Quote (InsideOfYou @ July 26 2010, 17:50)
Actually HR to a certain extent reminds me of Yes' "Tales From Topographic Oceans"

Will you all please quit insulting Hergest Ridge!

Jules

--------------
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: July 27 2010, 09:06

Actually, HR reminds me of Fragile - just joking!  :D
Profile PM 
Michael Hilton Offline

Posted: July 27 2010, 10:37

Quote (Incantations @ July 26 2010, 08:01)
What really stuck out on this listen was that abrubt transition from the thunderstom  sections trance-like qualities to the ends reiterations or Part 1's beauty, I think that is what Hergest Ridge is all about. That abrubt transition just feels so mystical, like a huge gust of awesome sweeping you off your feet.

Anyway, that is all that I really wanted to say, thanks for reading ;)

It's always been my favourite
Especially the thunderstorm transitions...and a bit Yes-ish    :laugh:
Profile PM 
Incantations Offline

Posted: July 27 2010, 18:55

And I am guessing a certain Jules is not a fan of Yes? A shame, as Yes is the utter apitamy of not-Mike Oldfield music that is still good (with Genesis close behind ;)).

The only things I am describing similar between Yessongs and Hergest Ridge is the laid-backness of HR which is the same vibe emitted from TFTO, and the last notes seem to conclude the album as the last notes of Gates of Delirium close the epic song.

--------------
Hmm...
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: July 27 2010, 22:45

Quote (Incantations @ July 27 2010, 18:55)
And I am guessing a certain Jules is not a fan of Yes?

Indeed, you get the impression that with him it's not so much "Yes" as "No"!
Profile PM 
Sir Mustapha Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: July 28 2010, 09:30

Quote (nightspore @ July 27 2010, 09:06)
Actually, HR reminds me of Fragile - just joking!  :D

Fragile is AWESOME, and I shall fall into disbelief if Jules dislikes even that one!

--------------
Check out http://ferniecanto.com.br for all my music, including my latest albums: Don't Stay in the City, Making Amends and Builders of Worlds.
Also check my Bandcamp page: http://ferniecanto.bandcamp.com
Profile PM WEB 
Incantations Offline

Posted: July 28 2010, 16:37

Yes, Fragile is the type of album that nobody dislikes,It may not be much of the same for The Yes Album, TFTO, and Relayer, CTTE is much like Fragile in that everyone likes it.

--------------
Hmm...
Profile PM 
familyjules Offline

Posted: July 28 2010, 17:15

Quote (Incantations @ July 27 2010, 18:55)
And I am guessing a certain Jules is not a fan of Yes? A shame, as Yes is the utter apitamy of not-Mike Oldfield music that is still good (with Genesis close behind ;)).

There's only one thing worse than Yes.  Genesis.

Make that two things - I forgot ELP.

I like early Mike Oldfield and love Pink Floyd, but most of what gets called prog does very little for me.  It's all technique and flash and bombast and look at how many scales I can play.  Music, for me, is about feeling and soul.  I find precious little of either in most prog.  And don't get me started on the lame-ass lyrics.

Jules

--------------
Profile PM 
Sir Mustapha Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: July 28 2010, 18:47

Quote (familyjules @ July 28 2010, 17:15)
It's all technique and flash and bombast and look at how many scales I can play.  Music, for me, is about feeling and soul.

But it's hard to deny the intensity and power of the groove of Roundabout, the chilly nightmarish feel of South Side of the Sky, the gorgeous poppiness of Long Distance Roundabout... yeah, Fragile has "soul" and "feeling" as much as it has technique. Besides, Jon Anderson is a much more spiritual-minded musician than Mike Oldfield, and he REALLY meant what he did in the band.

In short: stick to Fragile and forget the rest. :)

--------------
Check out http://ferniecanto.com.br for all my music, including my latest albums: Don't Stay in the City, Making Amends and Builders of Worlds.
Also check my Bandcamp page: http://ferniecanto.bandcamp.com
Profile PM WEB 
nightspore Offline

Posted: July 28 2010, 21:31

Quote (Sir Mustapha @ July 28 2010, 18:47)
In short: stick to Fragile and forget the rest. :)

I haven't listened to Yes for many a year, but in my opinion their high points were Close to the Edge (particularly "And You and I",which seems to be written about that centrefold image of the mountain-top sea (which inspired my own story "Dreams Never End", incidentally)) and Relayer.
Profile PM 
Incantations Offline

Posted: July 29 2010, 03:41

How dare you insult the Genesis! Selling England By the pound is one of the greatest albums of all time, but everything after that was terrible, I must admit.

I agree with you on ELP though, they really are a horrible, horrible band.

--------------
Hmm...
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: July 29 2010, 07:29

Quote (Incantations @ July 29 2010, 03:41)
I agree with you on ELP though, they really are a horrible, horrible band.

Stepping back from this, one really has to wonder what on earth people's criteria are for assessing pop music. ELP had superb musicianship, clever lyrics, and (given that much of their work was derived from the classics) melodies that are beyond reproach. Granted, the style may not be to one's taste, but "horrible horrible band"??
Profile PM 
familyjules Offline

Posted: July 29 2010, 18:38

I did listen to Yes and Genesis in my youth.  And I enjoyed those records back then.  Particularly Yes.  But...I dunno...they sound to me like the follies of youth now, whereas Mike and the Floyd still sound great.

I appreciate Steve Howe's guitar chops.  I admire Peter Gabriel's voice.  I can sing more songs by both bands than I'd care to admit to.  But I still think their music styles were not only a dead end, but ultimately a deserved dead end.

Jules

--------------
Profile PM 
Incantations Offline

Posted: July 30 2010, 06:52

Yes Night that may have been a bit of a misleading description of what I was trying to say, but then again, I wrote that comment at 4 A.M. Looking back at that what I meant was something along the lines of what you said, the band's style isn't my liking.

--------------
Hmm...
Profile PM 
Delfín Offline

Posted: Sep. 01 2010, 15:24

What is ELP? Are you referring to ELO¿?

--------------
The most precious thing I possess, is knowing the answer's yes
Profile PM 
familyjules Offline

Posted: Sep. 01 2010, 20:01

Quote (Delfín @ Sep. 01 2010, 15:24)
What is ELP? Are you referring to ELO¿?

ELP is Em*rs*n, L*ke & P*lm*r.

ELO, on the other hand, are a surprisingly welcome alternative.   :D

Jules

--------------
Profile PM 
20 replies since July 25 2010, 19:01 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (2) < [1] 2 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net