Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: The Electric Brae, New music project - feedback welcome!< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
shenry Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Mar. 12 2021, 14:00

https://soundcloud.com/stephen-merrick-912812630/sets/the-electric-brae
Profile PM 
Unregistered

Posted: Mar. 13 2021, 05:45

~ Message deleted at the request of the author ~
qcfoetus Offline

Posted: Mar. 13 2021, 16:09

Quote (Ommagest @ Mar. 13 2021, 05:45)
Liked the playing, some skill there on the guitar and very nicely produced too.

Agreed! Soft and soothing. I also love the cover art--lovely tribute to the original HR cover.
Profile PM 
shenry Offline

Posted: Mar. 13 2021, 18:23

Thank you both for the kind words. That's given me the confidence to finish the project.
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: Mar. 14 2021, 00:36

I was expecting some clever piece that gives the illusion of going up while it's going down, an analogue of the Penrose staircase. This piece is dull - asleep at the wheel.
Profile PM 
shenry Offline

Posted: Mar. 14 2021, 06:20

Ooh, that hurt! No, it's fine, I'm glad for your honesty. I was a bit sad after your comment, until I realised that negative criticism is important, plus each person has different tastes.

And the idea of a musical illusion (a song that goes up while seeming to go down), matching the optical illusion of the real life electric brae, is an interesting idea that I intend to explore further.
Profile PM 
Unregistered

Posted: Mar. 14 2021, 09:36

shenry Offline

Posted: Mar. 14 2021, 10:09

No, it's actually Loudoun Hill. I live in Ayrshire. Where the electric brae is in Ayrshire as well. I was trying to create an image that summed up the rolling Ayrshire fields, but was a bit trippy and surreal as well.
Profile PM 
Unregistered

Posted: Mar. 14 2021, 12:00

shenry Offline

Posted: Mar. 14 2021, 16:33

I know it's a volcanic plug apparently!  Whatever that is. Geology is not my subject either.
Profile PM 
shenry Offline

Posted: April 05 2021, 16:19

Finished version now online. Listen to The Electric Brae, a playlist by Stephen Merrick on #SoundCloud
https://soundcloud.app.goo.gl/ThW4q

Please listen and enjoy! Nightspore, I will understand if you don't want to, given the excerpts I posted didn't do it for you!
Profile PM 
qcfoetus Offline

Posted: April 09 2021, 15:54

Thanks for sharing the finished version. I'll be adding specific comments on Soundcloud, but overall I very much appreciate the project. Your objective to produce something a bit trippy and surreal is well achieved. On the plus side, the sounds and textures are nice, the structure and composition are interesting, and the overall feeling is one of serenity with a touch of mystery. I especially like the end of Parts 1 and 2, with their slow crescendos leading to the finale. On the minus side, the project would have gained from the addition of a couple of solos at strategic points, to create contrast and make the ensemble stand out a little more. Still, I find this music satisfying and will certainly get back to it again and again in the future.
Profile PM 
shenry Offline

Posted: April 09 2021, 16:42

Thank you for your comments, very much appreciated.
Profile PM 
12 replies since Mar. 12 2021, 14:00 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net