Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: The Demos< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Harmono Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Mar. 14 2014, 13:24

I think some demo tracks are better than the ones on the album, especially Moonshine which is quite different. The idea to have an Irish singer on Moonshine was good, but that idea I guess was thrown away when Mike decided Spiller would sing all songs. I really like Spiller on Man on the Rocks, Castaway, Minutes, Dreaming in the Wind, Nuclear, Chariots, and Following the Angels, but the other songs I think need another voice. Mike could have sang Moonshine himself.
Profile PM 
knife edge Offline

Posted: Mar. 14 2014, 15:06

Quote (Harmono @ Mar. 14 2014, 13:24)
I think some demo tracks are better than the ones on the album, especially Moonshine which is quite different. The idea to have an Irish singer on Moonshine was good, but that idea I guess was thrown away when Mike decided Spiller would sing all songs. I really like Spiller on Man on the Rocks, Castaway, Minutes, Dreaming in the Wind, Nuclear, Chariots, and Following the Angels, but the other songs I think need another voice. Mike could have sang Moonshine himself.

Spiller is a talented singer, but I think that a range of different singers (as in past song-based mike's albums) would have been a better choice for the variety of the album
Profile PM 
Matt Offline

Group: Admins
Posted: Mar. 14 2014, 16:18

Agree that the demos are really good. I've had a few thoughts about them.

I think while Mikes vocal is good on quite a few of them the vocals *do* to me sound like demos rather than the sort of vocal sound from a recording studio to use in a final mix. Fair enough since they were only supposed to be demos in the first place :) Some of the tracks (e.g. I give myself away) I thought Mike should have provided the vocal track for the final album, wonder how good it could have been with a proper recording studio vocal!

The exception to that (not final mix quality) is the guitar solos. They are superb in the demos. In fact I wonder if many of them are the same recordings used in the final mix? Haven't checked carefully enough but it sounds like it to me. They're great!

I've said elsewhere that it is interesting that the general production of the demos so closely matches the production sound of the final album. Steve Lipson must have been using them as sort of template for what he was trying to reproduce for the album mix I reckon. Which makes sense since that was Mikes vision for them album :)

--------------
"I say I say I say I say, what's got three bottles and five eyes and no legs and two wheels"
Profile PM 
TubularUSA Offline

Posted: July 31 2014, 11:26

I like the lyrics to the "Moonshine" demo version better than the regular album version and I can't understand why such lines as "journey's at an end, nothing left to defend" were taken out.  

The instrumentation and beat to the Spiller version has more of an impact on me though.
Profile PM 
Jesse Offline

Posted: Jan. 31 2017, 04:03

i did something stupid and bought the deluxe version asuming it had the demo's without checking it xD

Why are the the instrumentals on the deluxe version and not the demo's? and why is the super deluxe version 80 euros and can you not just buy the mp3's you want? :S
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: Jan. 16 2020, 06:17

Quote (Harmono @ Mar. 14 2014, 13:24)
I think some demo tracks are better than the ones on the album, especially Moonshine which is quite different.

Yes, I think the organ and the cello lines on "Minutes" are particularly effective. I've only recently bought the version of the album with the demos disk, as I (wrongly) assumed the pieces would be identical except for the vocals. Of course, they aren't. I was particularly interested in how my favourite track, "Minutes", would sound. There's a bassline that suggests to me patience rather than the kind of anxiety (that's perhaps too strong a word) in the version with lyrics.
Profile PM 
5 replies since Mar. 14 2014, 13:24 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net