Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (3) < 1 [2] 3 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: The cover, Taking a close look on the artwork< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Tayniee Offline

Group: Members
Posted: May 05 2008, 00:45

Quote (Dirk Star @ Mar. 07 2008, 07:40)
Whom ever shall lift the bell from the lake...

Rick Wakeman's words? (Knights of the round table) and it was a sword stuck in the lake I think...on his cover.

--------------
As we all know, endings are just beginnings.
Profile PM 
Dirk Star Offline

Posted: May 05 2008, 08:10

Quote (Tayniee @ May 05 2008, 00:45)
Quote (Dirk Star @ Mar. 07 2008, 07:40)
Whom ever shall lift the bell from the lake...

Rick Wakeman's words? (Knights of the round table) and it was a sword stuck in the lake I think...on his cover.

You know despite the fact that I`m a big fan of Yes.I`ve never actually heard that album once in my entire life.Nor have I had any real desire to do so either,when I think about it.Excalibur the movie was pretty cool though..Where at the end the sword gets chucked back into the lake,until it one day might return for a future king or something.But you see the way I always kind of took that,was that it need`nt neccessarily return as a sword.It could well be in the form of a bell for all intents and purposes.Or more as likely round these parts a shopping trolley.

The Millenium Shopping Trolley does`nt quite have the same ring to it though does it?... :/
Profile PM 
Bassman Offline

Posted: May 05 2008, 08:48

The Lady Of The Lake, her arm clad in the purest, shimmering samite, pushed out Excaliber from the bosom of the parking lot.  Signifying by divine providence that I, Arthur, was to load my groceries into Excaliber.  That is why I'm your King.

:laugh:
Profile PM 
Dirk Star Offline

Posted: May 05 2008, 09:17

And off he boldly went henceforth into the supermarket in search of the holy grail....Oh my such a damning and finely satirical concept on the fabric of modern consumer society is really starting to take shape here...Stay tuned for more adventures folks..And find out what happens when Arhtur`s lonely bored housewife Gwen meets up with Lance the trolley boy in the parking lot...  :p
Profile PM 
moonchildhippy Offline

Posted: May 05 2008, 12:48

What uglier than Incantations:O  ??? When I say about Incantations being ugly I mean the cover and not the music, proof that you shouldn't judge an album by it's cover  :cool:  :)

OH I forgot to quote, I was talking about Lars' original post in this thread, where he say's that TMB cover is ugly, or hideous, or words to that effect.

--------------
I'm going slightly mad,
It finally happened, I'm slightly mad , just very slightly mad

If you feel a little glum to Hergest Ridge you should come.

I'm challenging  taboos surrounding mental health

"Part time hippy"

I'M SUPPORTING OUR SOLDIERS

BRING OUR TROOPS HOME NOW!!
Profile PM 
moonchildhippy Offline

Posted: May 05 2008, 12:56

Quote (Tubularman @ Mar. 07 2008, 11:13)
Quote (trcanberra @ Mar. 07 2008, 12:14)
I'm also interested that it doesn't seem to mention Mike's name - at least the one I have doesn't.

I have that one ;) It is just a sticker so could just take it off :)
About the cover; Im not a big fan of it either, but it have nice colours.
How could it look really...?
One i do like is this artwork someone did some years ago

Oh yes i love that artwork,  :D , making me think about a tattoo I'd like to get, well obviously I'm not into naked/semi naked ladies, but I was thinking of a Tubular Bell design, possibly one with me (or me as I'd like to be) sitting on a Tubular Bell swing, and flowers round the swing, just think of Lothlorien in Lord Of The Rings.

--------------
I'm going slightly mad,
It finally happened, I'm slightly mad , just very slightly mad

If you feel a little glum to Hergest Ridge you should come.

I'm challenging  taboos surrounding mental health

"Part time hippy"

I'M SUPPORTING OUR SOLDIERS

BRING OUR TROOPS HOME NOW!!
Profile PM 
trcanberra Offline

Posted: July 12 2008, 08:40

My thoughts about the cover - what genius decided to release it without Mike's name anywhere?  I would really like to have a transcript of the marketing meeting.  The one I bought didn't even have one of those stickers saying who it was.
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: Nov. 07 2008, 05:32

Quote (trcanberra @ April 14 2008, 18:46)
Oh man - another missing track - can someone send me a version please?

I'm taking a leaf out of Sweetpea's book and looking back over old threads. The missing track(s): are they worth seeking out? If anyone has them, please message me privately.
Profile PM 
Bassman Offline

Posted: Nov. 07 2008, 18:29

Hey Nightspore.  Are you referring to the "early" version of the whole album?

--------------
Turn up the music... Hi as Fi can go.
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: Nov. 08 2008, 05:18

Quote (Bassman @ Nov. 07 2008, 18:29)
Hey Nightspore.  Are you referring to the "early" version of the whole album?

Hi Bassman, I think so... I noticed someone posted an alternative album cover with a different listing of pieces, some of which I wasn't familiar with. It was those pieces I was asking about.
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: Nov. 08 2008, 23:56

Thanks to the kind person who enabled me to hear the alternative version of The Millennium Bell. I think Mike was wise to make the changes he did; the final version of "Amber Light", for example, sounds much better to me: much less repetitive, and the words - sung so clearly - give it a boost. "Excalibur" seems to make all the right moves and yet the piece doesn't work for me.
Profile PM 
trcanberra Offline

Posted: Nov. 14 2008, 06:46

Quote (nightspore @ Nov. 08 2008, 23:56)
Thanks to the kind person who enabled me to hear the alternative version of The Millennium Bell. I think Mike was wise to make the changes he did; the final version of "Amber Light", for example, sounds much better to me: much less repetitive, and the words - sung so clearly - give it a boost. "Excalibur" seems to make all the right moves and yet the piece doesn't work for me.

I was interested in Sunlight Shining Through Clouds - sounds semi-rap now, was nice to hear the rap version (but prefer the newer version personally).
Profile PM 
Ghostmojo Offline

Posted: April 09 2009, 19:34

Quote (Dirk Star @ Mar. 07 2008, 07:11)
Yeah Mike`s name isn`t on the front cover that`s true.The weird thing is when I bought this album I didn`t even notice the bloody big bell on the front of it.I don`t know if my mind just refused to accept it or what?But it wasn`t untill I actualy sat down with the thing at home that the image finally began to register up there.

I think larstangmark may have been onto something when he brought Prince up earlier.He did a similar sort of thing with his monicker didn`t he.He hasn`t even got his name down the side of it either.So is it modesty,marketing or embarrasment???..God only knows.As far as the cover goes though, I`ll hazzard a guess at the third option.

I'll hazard an opinion that you may be right.

It pains me to say it because I am in awe of so much of his work - but this record is utter rubbish by and large - perhaps a few seconds here and there of the odd phrase or two is worthy of a second listen (guitar solo on Liberation). But not much else. The only track I think I could listen to throughout is Lake Constance and that is merely pleasant - nothing special at all.

TMB is dominated by boring, unimaginative rhythm tracks and simple harmonic changes, and is way below his usual standards even compared to some of the worse ambient throwaway things like on Light + Shade.

When I first heard it I was so disappointed, I thought about taking it back to the shop. However, I left it a bit and then returned and played it a few times hoping I might see something I had missed ... and I did see something - I saw that it was even worse than I first thought.

Ah well, every artist produces a real duffer. Even one of MO's calibre and history. Unfortunately, along with L+S, TMB makes two - but out of so many other great efforts it is easy to forgive. All geniuii have their off-days.

Oh yeh and the cover is bloody awful too. Perhaps it was designed that way to put you off. You see it and think 'uugh' - then you can't see an artist's name and so you move on and forget it. Unfortunately, I noticed the tubular bell right away...

--------------
" ... if you feel a little glum - to Hergest Ridge you should come ... "
Profile PM 
wiga Offline

Posted: April 10 2009, 03:57

Quote (Ghostmojo @ April 09 2009, 19:34)
It pains me to say it because I am in awe of so much of his work - but this record is utter rubbish by and large - perhaps a few seconds here and there..

Yeah - this hurts me more than it hurts you - right!

--------------
Barn's burnt down - now I can see the moon.
Profile PM 
Ghostmojo Offline

Posted: April 10 2009, 08:41

Quote (wiga @ April 10 2009, 03:57)
Quote (Ghostmojo @ April 09 2009, 19:34)
It pains me to say it because I am in awe of so much of his work - but this record is utter rubbish by and large - perhaps a few seconds here and there..

Yeah - this hurts me more than it hurts you - right!

Well perhaps those words were a bit harsh, but what can you say to label something that was so extremely disappointing? It is always a problem when you love somebody's work so much and then something comes out that is so weak by comparison. Some folks have been dissing Tr3s Lunas in similar fashion and yet I quite liked that one (although I could never get the MVR game disc to work).

--------------
Profile PM 
wiga Offline

Posted: April 10 2009, 12:55

Welcome back Alan D - we've missed you!   :)

--------------
Barn's burnt down - now I can see the moon.
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: April 10 2009, 19:53

Quote (wiga @ April 10 2009, 12:55)
Welcome back Alan D - we've missed you!   :)

Ha ha - there are quite a few people I suspect have reincarnated here... Out of politeness I won't air my speculations!

As for TMB: I think it's triff, so there!
Profile PM 
Bassman Offline

Posted: April 10 2009, 20:56

Heh-heh.  That's funny!  I was sort of thinking the same thing.

BTW, anyone that refers to this album (or any) as "rubbish" as though it is fact is not only instigating conflict, but also pretty much destroys whatever credibility they may have had in the first place by using such emotionally-charged verbiage.

--------------
Turn up the music... Hi as Fi can go.
Profile PM 
Ghostmojo Offline

Posted: April 10 2009, 21:24

Quote (Bassman @ April 10 2009, 20:56)
Heh-heh.  That's funny!  I was sort of thinking the same thing.

BTW, anyone that refers to this album (or any) as "rubbish" as though it is fact is not only instigating conflict, but also pretty much destroys whatever credibility they may have had in the first place by using such emotionally-charged verbiage.

In my own opinion of course - not a fact - just a view. A point I later admitted perhaps was perhaps a bit harsh, but I really don't like TMB at all. I'm not instigating anything. I'm merely airing my views and joining in the patter. If you read any other comments on other threads you will see my gushing, unbridled enthusiasm for most other MO works.

Having been a fan of MO's music almost since day one - I can assure you of my genuine interest, which has lasted now for nearly 36 years.

As to whether some of you are suggesting I am somebody else returning under a new monicker, well you are well off beam with that one. Before a few weeks ago I had never visited this forum...

--------------
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: April 10 2009, 21:39

Quote (Ghostmojo @ April 10 2009, 21:24)
As to whether some of you are suggesting I am somebody else returning under a new monicker, well you are well off beam with that one. Before a few weeks ago I had never visited this forum...

Presumably anyone who goes to the trouble of coming back under a new name is hardly going to admit doing so... It would destroy the point of reincarnating in the first place!

In any case, welcome to the forum! What is your favourite MO album, Ghostmojo? What do you think of Amarok?
Profile PM 
46 replies since Aug. 20 2005, 18:56 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (3) < 1 [2] 3 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net