It's horrible! 2  [9.52%]
Guests cannot vote
Pages: (3) < 1 2 [3] >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: The cover, Do you like it or dislike it?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Milamber Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: Nov. 29 2010, 01:03

Quote (nightspore @ Nov. 28 2010, 12:36)
Quote (milamber @ Nov. 27 2010, 21:53)
for example growing up I hated the Beatles only developing an appreciation for them later on.

What about the Rolling Stones? I imagine a favourite these days is "Paint it Black".  :)

:laugh: Nightspore you are priceless :D
Profile PM 
wiga Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Nov. 29 2010, 01:08

Quote (nightspore @ Nov. 29 2010, 00:03)
I actually agree with you, Sir M. I don't think you can underestimate the power of the music professors, though: they ultimately control the future's perception of what "serious" music is: what will survive and what will be forgotten.

Oh come on now Nightspore! You start by agreeing with Syd that the cover is better than the music, and then in the same breath say, well it's not classical music anyway is it. Then you justify this as if you have the full weight of the music professors behind you, and NOW, you throw your hands up as if to say - I don't like this any more than you do - but they ARE the experts after all.  :D

A very naughty tactic.   :(

--------------
Barn's burnt down - now I can see the moon.
Profile PM 
wiga Offline

Posted: Nov. 29 2010, 01:33

Quote (milamber @ Nov. 29 2010, 06:01)
Why not list a few favorite tracks to expediate my journey ;)

The Tempest

You can't get more classical than that.

--------------
Profile PM 
bee Offline

Posted: Nov. 29 2010, 06:25

those skies were beautiful Wiga, very appropriate choice for the music...

this is all getting a bit above my head now, talk of professors and such...I think what is also being talked about in a round about sort of way is the definition of the word classical ~ because it applies to many things, not just music, art, architecture, antiquity, sciences etc,

from a website...

*Origin and Definition
The term classical music originates from the Latin term classicus, meaning taxpayer of the highest class. Slowly after making its way through the French, German, and English languages, one of the earliest definitions of the word meant “classical, formall, orderlie, in due or fit ranke; also, approved, authenticall, chiefe, principall.” Today, one of the ways Merriam-Webster defines classical is “of, relating to, or being music in the educated European tradition that includes such forms as art song, chamber music, opera, and symphony as distinguished from folk or popular music or jazz.”*

that's what I think i was trying to put across, that it is a cut above, ( not elitist, for anyone who has a good pair of working ears and a brain of some description can be open to the sounds ) it is first class music, and needs to be respected and talked about and shared and discussed and played on the radio too....why not, let's be radical!!

But also there's this idea of naming music in genres which Mike, being the slippery fish that he is, avoids ( and how I love him for that! ). If we are going to be critical and discuss and compare then we do need certain terms we can all latch onto and understand, the points of interest start when each of our interpretations, as individual as each of us, begin to flag up differences..we consider something is a certain genre because of our personal musical experiences, the kind of music we have been exposed to, which will always be different to anyone else.

Then there is is summary I found of 'classical music' on a website somewhere...

*Periods of Classical Music
Music historiographers classified the six periods of music by stylistic differences.

Before 1400 – Medieval – characterized by Gregorian chant, mostly religious
1400-1600 – Renaissance – increase of secular music, madrigals, and art song
1600-1750 – Baroque – known for its intricate ornamentation
1750-1820 – Classical – balance and structure
1820-1900 – Romantic – emotional, large, programmatic
Beyond 1900 – 20th Century – limitless*

So by this definition I'd say Mike's Music of the SPheres could easily be rooted in the Romantic classical period, rather than the Classical period of classical music.

Other ideologies of the Romantic movement generally could pretty much be applied to Mike's music.

Matt's clip of Mike's interview, where he says it's his idea of classical music is more than good enough for me.

@Nightspore: Stockhausen, well, 'interesting' is all I have to say, it's not something I've heard before, curious is that seemingly casual approach to producing sound, memorable certainly, but not for the melodies! But what it has done is it has made me consider what I have grown to expect from music, and that is art for me...asking the questions

:)

--------------
....second to the right and straight on till morning....

You heard me before
Yet you hear me again
Then I die
Till I call me again
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: Nov. 29 2010, 07:39

Quote (bee @ Nov. 29 2010, 06:25)
So by this definition I'd say Mike's Music of the SPheres could easily be rooted in the Romantic classical period, rather than the Classical period of classical music.

Well, Mike's stated role model is Sibelius, and as Sib is a late Romantic composer, I guess you could have a point! On the other hand that little piano melody in "Requiem for Atlantis" could be straight out of one of Mozart's piano concertos (except it isn't - I have all 27 of them!;)
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: Nov. 29 2010, 07:40

Quote (wiga @ Nov. 29 2010, 01:08)
Oh come on now Nightspore! You start by agreeing with Syd that the cover is better than the music, and then in the same breath say, well it's not classical music anyway is it. Then you justify this as if you have the full weight of the music professors behind you, and NOW, you throw your hands up as if to say - I don't like this any more than you do - but they ARE the experts after all.  :D

A very naughty tactic.   :(

People tell me I'm very kind to animals, Wiga.  :laugh:
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: Nov. 29 2010, 07:44

Quote (milamber @ Nov. 29 2010, 01:03)
for example growing up I hated the Beatles only developing an appreciation for them later on.

What about the Rolling Stones? I imagine a favourite these days is "Paint it Black".  :)

I've been trying to think up other songs about painting and decorating to please Milamber, but so far I can only think of Pink Floyd's "Paintbox" and "You Decorated my Life" (whoever did that). Can anyone think of any others? Ugo?
Profile PM 
wiga Offline

Posted: Nov. 29 2010, 08:02

Bee - apparently, the broader definition of 'classical music' includes all those periods, :)  and refers to ALL seriously clever compositions (outside rock and pop) - composed for the orchestra and voices - from folk to filmscore.

The narrow definition is usually used for the purpose of canonizing that period of music in terms of masterworks and superiority.

--------------
Profile PM 
bee Offline

Posted: Nov. 29 2010, 08:25

Quote (nightspore @ Nov. 29 2010, 07:44)
Quote (milamber @ Nov. 29 2010, 01:03)

I've been trying to think up other songs about painting and decorating to please Milamber, but so far I can only think of Pink Floyd's "Paintbox" and "You Decorated my Life" (whoever did that). Can anyone think of any others? Ugo?

A whiter shade of pale ~ Procul Harum

paint the sky with stars ~ enya

slap in your lap ~ kate brush ( if i even try to explain that, it will not be funny)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Wiga, Mike should be canonised, don't you think? St Mike? A nice Tubular ring to it... :D

--------------

You heard me before
Yet you hear me again
Then I die
Till I call me again
Profile PM 
wiga Offline

Posted: Nov. 29 2010, 08:34

Quote (bee @ Nov. 29 2010, 13:25)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Wiga, Mike should be canonised, don't you think? St Mike? A nice Tubular ring to it... :D

I'll hum it - you play it -

Santa Mi-i -ke, Santa Mi-i-k e, Santa Mi-i- i -i-i-i-i-ike.  :cool:

--------------
Profile PM 
Delfín Offline

Posted: Nov. 29 2010, 13:32

Wiga's video image in itself would even be a better example of a cover for the album, even in its simplicity. But I still can't get used to that "cerebral, computer-calculated" picture.

--------------
The most precious thing I possess, is knowing the answer's yes
Profile PM 
bee Offline

Posted: Nov. 29 2010, 19:55

One last thing,

regarding the album covers...is it solely the artist who chooses the cover or do the recording company/ marketing people have an input...who has the final say?  Sorry if this has been asked before elsewhere, it seemed relevant here too.

...and following on from that, is it the same in the world of books? Do authors get to choose what they would like to represent their work, or are they guided by the publishers.

--------------

You heard me before
Yet you hear me again
Then I die
Till I call me again
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: Nov. 29 2010, 20:45

Quote (bee @ Nov. 29 2010, 19:55)
...and following on from that, is it the same in the world of books? Do authors get to choose what they would like to represent their work, or are they guided by the publishers.

I can answer this question from my own experience: I was asked to suggest various cover ideas for my book, and the publisher went away and came up with various designs, which he showed to me. I imagine not everyone has this flexibility though.
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: Nov. 29 2010, 20:47

Quote (bee @ Nov. 29 2010, 08:25)
29 2010, 01:03]

A whiter shade of pale ~ Procul Harum

paint the sky with stars ~ enya

slap in your lap ~ kate brush ( if i even try to explain that, it will not be funny)

Ooh, you'll have a friend for life in Milamber with those suggestions!  :D
Profile PM 
wiga Offline

Posted: Nov. 30 2010, 03:37

Quote (Delfín @ Nov. 29 2010, 18:32)
Wiga's video image in itself would even be a better example of a cover for the album, even in its simplicity. But I still can't get used to that "cerebral, computer-calculated" picture.

Delfin - I see what you mean. If the cover was of cloud formations it might be a more appropriate match than the current picture - which IS very 'cerebral, computer-calculated.'

They say don't judge a book my it's cover - but it probably influences more than you think.

BTW - I only ever listen to MoTS outdoors (where I look up at the sky) - never indoors.

--------------
Profile PM 
bee Offline

Posted: Nov. 30 2010, 15:32

Quote (nightspore @ Nov. 29 2010, 20:45)
Quote (bee @ Nov. 29 2010, 19:55)

I can answer this question from my own experience: I was asked to suggest various cover ideas for my book, and the publisher went away and came up with various designs, which he showed to me. I imagine not everyone has this flexibility though.

interesting that is, I think the covers are very much a part of the work, for music and the written word... I very much regret the downloading of both as it means the art work associated is diminished a little, but perhaps with the idea of an I Pad ( or the like for the future ) this will change for the book/reading part anyway.

--------------

You heard me before
Yet you hear me again
Then I die
Till I call me again
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Nov. 30 2010, 17:40

Quote (bee @ Nov. 30 2010, 01:55)

One thing I know about Stephen King (he wrote about this) is that he describes to an illustrator, or a group of illustrators, what the cover should look like - verbally, not in writing - then the illustrators come up with different ideas and he chooses what he thinks is the best for him. The publishers have no say in this, but I guess that Stephen King is such a big name that the publishers are OK with whatever he chooses. :)

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: Nov. 30 2010, 20:36

Quote (wiga @ Nov. 30 2010, 03:37)
But I still can't get used to that "cerebral, computer-calculated" picture.[/quote]
Delfin - I see what you mean. If the cover was of cloud formations it might be a more appropriate match than the current picture - which IS very 'cerebral, computer-calculated.'

The trouble is, the whole idea of "the music of the spheres", as conceived by the ancients, was believed to be very precise and mathematical: each planet was believed to emit an exact musical note in its course around the heavens. One could object that Mike's music is not mathematical enough to match his cover art. Music in the style of Incantations with its minimal precision would fit the concept much better.
Profile PM 
Delfín Offline

Posted: Dec. 01 2010, 09:59

I can't conceive a music less mathematical and more emotional that 'Music of the Spheres' in the whole Mike's catalog. Probably the most romantic album up to date, taking over 'Islands', 'Discovery' and the most romantic track being still 'Lake Constance'.

--------------
The most precious thing I possess, is knowing the answer's yes
Profile PM 
58 replies since Nov. 24 2010, 18:38 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (3) < 1 2 [3] >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net