Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: The Consequences of Indecisions, MO, Sally O, and "Pekka Pohjola"< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Scatterplot Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Mar. 23 2008, 00:45

I did not where to post this so I guess "general discussion" seems the place.....
    I was digging thru my closet trying to find my 1978 Incantations double LP. I did find it, and felt relieved! Still looking for that Caroline CD......but I found something else more interesting, or at least rare. An LP dated 1981 called "Mike Oldfield-The Consequences of Indecisions". I remember buying this around that year. I also remember it was good. It lists MO(guitar, mandolin and whistle), Sally O, Pekka Pohjola(who is he?-even tho the album title is MO this PP fella seems to be the main writer) on bass and keyboards, Pierre Moerlen, George Wadenius, Vesa Aaltonen, Wlodek Gulgowski. On Happy Bird records.....looks German. Vinyl looks to be in good condition. I think I'm gonna put off Incantations for a while and see what this is about and digitalize it. Meanwhile, can any of you tell me about this album? It's obviously obscure. Songs: "The Sighted Light", "Hands Calming the Water", "Mathematical Air Display", "The Consequences of Indecisions"-in two parts A.Time Heals all Wounds B.Comfort with a Stranger, "False Start".
    This should be fun. I better get a Spaten Optimator before I hook my turntable up to my mixer. Please get back to me on any history you can dig up on this. It bewildered me when I bought it.
Jim

--------------
We raise our voices in the night
Crying to heaven
And will our voices be heard
Or will they break Like the wind
Profile PM 
ronniethepict Offline

Posted: Mar. 23 2008, 03:33

Read about the album here Rarities & Concerts
Profile PM 
Scatterplot Offline

Posted: Mar. 23 2008, 04:20

If you click on the link you provided, the answer by manintherain.......go to the 7th picture from the top. The one with a bird flying towards a giant.......tube-like object(grain holder? 1962 Jaguar XKE 3.8ltr oil filter?)....that's the cover. It did say Love records, but also Happybird records. The whole thing sounds like it was recorded in the circa QE2 era. I can't say I agree with the Tangerine Dream comparison......it sounds more.....well...QE2 with some jazz influence, possibly Passport? But no horns. The 2nd track with hapsichord leading into Sally's vocal and MO's fine guitar crescendo feels like Incantations. The acoustic guitar solos sound just like MOTS. I've already had a ball digitalizing side one. Washed it thru de-click with minimal noise reduction. It's a good copy, but then I always discwashed my LP's before playing. Question is, is it worth putting up on rapidshare? Does anyone care? Lemme know. Sounds like a worthy QE2-ish recording to have and enjoy.
Jim

--------------
Crying to heaven
Profile PM 
Harmono Offline

Posted: Mar. 23 2008, 06:05

A great album! I haven't heard it in a long time, don't know what happened to my cd. I wouldn't call it a rarity, as it can be found in many places here in Finland, propably Sweden and Norway too. I'm remembering it being re-released here at least once.

Though mostly composed by Pohjola, I guess it's credited to Mike(and Sally) in many countries due to Promotional reasons. Pohjola is still very well known and respected here though. He has released many albums (prog, jazz, folky and classical) as a solo artist and several as a member in different groups, he has even composed a symphony. As a versatile player of many instruments he was asked to join Frank Zappa's band in the seventies, and of course he toured with Mike.
In his autobiography he talks about Consequences of indecisions and Mike. He says it was a record company's idea to have them
collaborate, so he travelled to GB to see Mike. They got a long    
well, Pohjola says they had some beers in local pubs and flew model aeroplanes. Pohjola said about Mike that he liked his music , but found his playing technique inferior. When he talks about touring with Mike, he says: "he was a curious, odd man, but not too difficult at all". From the book I got the impression that pohjola is kind of similar to Mike in a way that he's not that social either, a kind of hermit really (and has many children).

I might have posted some of this info a long time ago. Anyway, I hope you find it interesting/useful.
Profile PM 
Scatterplot Offline

Posted: Mar. 23 2008, 07:08

Having just finished up side 2 and washing both sides with minimal de-click, I'd say this is a significant MO recording. It warrants having it's own "board" under the "albums" category of tubular.net. Side 2 had some of the "feel" of the Amarok moments I did like. Pahjola or whomever(there was another keyboard player listed), had a blast pitch-bending on a synth. But if you close your eyes, it sounds like MO meets Jean-Luc Ponty on electic violin. That would be a great combination. There's some Steely Dan jazziness involved, but on it's own, given the Mike and Sally involvements and moments......this stands up as a Mike Oldfield album in the MO library. As far as I remember it until today, I only liked this album for the Sally parts. Cripes I was wrong. This is a fine album. Kind of like...."what if we was to throw in a bonus album with QE2!". Glad I dug thru my albums. Happy Easter Tubularians.....
Jim

--------------
Crying to heaven
Profile PM 
Dirk Star Offline

Posted: Mar. 23 2008, 08:02

Well I`m not ashamed to admit this is a new one one me completely.So in answer to your rapidshare theory Scatterplot I would say...Yes! Yes! go for it immediatly..   :D If it`s as good as what you are saying here,I can`t wait to "suffer" the consequences. ;)

The mere idea of something along the lines of Oldfield and Luc Ponty in a QE2/Incantations/Steely Dan scenario has got me so curious now I think I`m going to explode.
Profile PM 
Scatterplot Offline

Posted: Mar. 23 2008, 18:56

OK...................have fun. I like it.

http://rapidshare.com/files....p3.html

Jim

--------------
Crying to heaven
Profile PM 
Dirk Star Offline

Posted: Mar. 24 2008, 13:03

Thanks very much for this one Scatterplot enjoyed listening to the album this afternoon.It`s on it`s third time around now and I`m getting more into it with each listen.It wasn`t until around the 8-9 minute mark when Mike`s guitar came to the fore that I actually remembered who I was listening to for a moment,but it`s good stuff all the same.Listening to the rest of the album from that point though I think there`s maybe enough from Mike for the album to be credited as a joint effort rather than a solo project from either of them.That said I think it was stretching it a little for them to credit it solely to Mike in countries outside of Scandanavia.Although I can understand the resoning behind that.I can certainly hear why Mr Pohjola is highly regarded in his home country though,and why Branson was keen for the two of them to work together.

Just at that point where Mike`s guitar first came to prominence,my Dad walked into the house bringing down some Easter eggs for the kids.."Nice guitar playing,sounds great."He commented on the way in.Now for my old man to make any kind of positive comment on music I`m listening to is something of a rarity in itself.So that`s two rarities now in one day,I must be on some kind of a roll here I guess.

I think my favourite part so far is that 25-30 minute section,where the two main protaganists seem to kind of trade musical ideas with each other.And then of course it goes into that slightly mad last track which sounds like a cross between Frank Zappa/Focus and Spike Jones And His City Slickers..Fantastic stuff.
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Mar. 24 2008, 17:38

@ Scatterplot: as I am still to download the mp3 you posted [I will when I get back home!] I'd like to know: is its content just the title track (TCoI) or is it the whole album?
Thanks very much for cleaning it up & posting it. ;)

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
olracUK Offline

Posted: Mar. 24 2008, 19:43

I used to have the  picture disc, but didn't love it enough to keep it from selling on e-bay. But now I'm grateful for the digital version, 'cos I miss it.

--------------
The answer is 42 - but what is the question?
Profile PM 
Scatterplot Offline

Posted: Mar. 25 2008, 00:39

Whole album. Whole ball 'o wax. Whole shootin' match.

--------------
Crying to heaven
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Mar. 25 2008, 10:43

Downloaded the thing... it's ab-fab. :cool: :cool: I'm going to buy a vinyl copy on eil.com... very soon. :D
Thanks very much for this, Jim.

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
Scatterplot Offline

Posted: Mar. 25 2008, 14:14

It was my pleasure. I had -almost- as much fun as with the HR Porky cut. I think there is more Pekka-Mike stuph out there, I've been looking.......If someone has a history of stuph they collaborated on other than Indecisions, let me know. I'm just glad I bought the thing in '81 or '82. And I'm glad I forgot about it for a decade or so. It's fun to find something old and make it new again. My late sister had a knack for that. Something called  decoupage(sp) or similar. Take a piece of antique wooden.....whatever, and paint it and all and make it new again. Fun. I like to do it with sound.
Jim

--------------
Crying to heaven
Profile PM 
manintherain Offline

Group: Members.
Posted: Mar. 26 2008, 05:24

Apart from his contribution on the Exposed tour, there is no material that has been recorded by Pekka and Mike other than Consequences.
Profile PM 
13 replies since Mar. 23 2008, 00:45 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net