Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (2) < 1 [2] >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: The Comprehensive Collection Of Singles & Rarities, Available on Oldfield tracker< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Scatterplot Offline

Group: Members
Posted: April 03 2008, 00:59

Perhaps someone with the files could put them on Rapidshare, eliminating any hassles.......
Jim

--------------
We raise our voices in the night
Crying to heaven
And will our voices be heard
Or will they break Like the wind
Profile PM 
Bassman Offline

Posted: April 03 2008, 22:46

I'm on it.
Profile PM 
Bassman Offline

Posted: April 04 2008, 00:58

http://rapidshare.com/files/104703955/The_Comprehensive_Collection_Of_Singles_Rarities_Disc_2.zip.html

http://rapidshare.com/files....ip.html

Let's see if this works.  I couldn't get the links to paste in for me so you folks have to copy the URLs into your address bar.  By the way, the files are m4a-that's how they were when I got them, and as you can see they are zipped files (took forever to upload, but it's better than having to tinker with torrent sites).  There are dozens of freeware programs one can use to convert the files if one wishes.
Profile PM 
Bassman Offline

Posted: April 04 2008, 01:04

I'm sorry everyone.  I just checked the link to see if it would work and it didn't.  Anyone interested should PM me with their actual e-mail address and I can send the links that way (I know that works because I tried it with myself)- that is if anyone hasn't already gotten the stuff from UGO or Spinne.  If no one tries I won't take it personally.
Profile PM 
Spinne Offline

Posted: April 17 2008, 16:38

Quote (zinc @ Mar. 01 2008, 22:30)
ive signed up and clicked on dowwnload but no joy, just saves a weird file name. can anyone help.

This will download a torrent file which is the file that your Bit Torrent client needs to start the download. No audio files are placed on the tracker, they are in users PCs. If youa re not familiar with Bit Torrent you have there a FAQ with further information on how it works ;)

Quote (Bassman @ Mar. 05 2008, 17:02)
regardless of the fact that btt.oldfield.es tells users to NOT upload the users' own torrents on other sites (where they get the balls to say that I can't imagine)

Of course, they can't stop people doing that, but it's better to keep all the people downloading from the same place in order to keep all the seeders together. But if there are people who can't access, then it will be needed to search alternative ways of sharing this.

Quote (Bassman @ Mar. 05 2008, 17:02)
Is this kind of banning policy the norm on these sites?  It's pretty damned unfair and it's not likely to foster a feeling of loyalty towards these sites.

As I said before, the files are not in a server but in the users PCs. That means that it is needed people continue sharing them so others can have the chance to get them. If I were the site admin I would ask for a ratio of 1 (you upload as much as you download) or upper to keep active the account, but the site admin just asks for a ratio of 0.5 or upper. That means that just uploading half of what you have downloaded you can keep your account. I think this is not that much.

I'm sure there are people that for any problem can't get this ratio, but usually it is because people who stop sharing as soon as they finish the download (and it is because of them that this kind of policy is required).

Quote (Ugo @ Mar. 06 2008, 09:46)
often I simply forget to turn it on. [@ Spinne: no, it hasn't got an auto-start mode with Windows XP. ]

Most of this clients have an option to start them as soon as you start Windows. For example, in utorrent you must go to Options/Preferences and in General you have to check "Start utorrent on system startup".

Quote (trcanberra @ Mar. 07 2008, 22:21)
I have no idea how to do the whole torrent thing - any ideas how to get started?

Have a look at the FAQ
Profile PM 
Bassman Offline

Posted: April 17 2008, 17:03

All you people out there that are missing out on this set, take Spinne's advice and grab it.  Apart from a few tracks that are a bit dodgy sound-wise, the quality is great (and the not-so-good ones are not likely to sound better any time soon)!  Easily half of the set are rarities that are not commercially available on CD.

And if torrents make you nervous there are other ways.   ;)
Profile PM 
trcanberra Offline

Posted: April 18 2008, 07:43

Quote (Bassman @ April 17 2008, 17:03)
All you people out there that are missing out on this set, take Spinne's advice and grab it.  Apart from a few tracks that are a bit dodgy sound-wise, the quality is great (and the not-so-good ones are not likely to sound better any time soon)!  Easily half of the set are rarities that are not commercially available on CD.

And if torrents make you nervous there are other ways.   ;)

There are indeed - and thanks to the kind person who pointed out one of them to me.

I actually own a number of these as well, but nice to fill in the gaps.  They are now in a nice 4CD box.

But man, Froggy Went a Courting?  And Mike was wondering in one of the interviews why people think he used to be a drugged out hippy  ;)
Profile PM 
Bassman Offline

Posted: April 18 2008, 09:41

Slight t/j.

For my money "Froggy" should have been the A-side.  It's a superior song in every way.  All MO did on the A-side was take a largely inconsequential chunk of the "Bagpipe" section of TB Part 2 and expand on it for 4 minutes.  If he really needed a single there's so many other things he could have done.  There's nothing wrong with it-it's a very nice piece of music, I'm just saying "Froggy" is more entertaining to listen to.  Putting out a novelty kiddie tune is nothing to be embarrassed about, and frankly, MO should stop being uncomfortable with the things he does right.

:)
Profile PM 
trcanberra Offline

Posted: April 18 2008, 22:17

Quote (Bassman @ April 18 2008, 09:41)
Slight t/j.

For my money "Froggy" should have been the A-side.  It's a superior song in every way.  All MO did on the A-side was take a largely inconsequential chunk of the "Bagpipe" section of TB Part 2 and expand on it for 4 minutes.  If he really needed a single there's so many other things he could have done.  There's nothing wrong with it-it's a very nice piece of music, I'm just saying "Froggy" is more entertaining to listen to.  Putting out a novelty kiddie tune is nothing to be embarrassed about, and frankly, MO should stop being uncomfortable with the things he does right.

:)

Hey, agree with you there - just noting it's rather "trippy"  :)

My 13 year old daughter and I both enjoyed it, though we couldn't convince my more "sophisticated" 16 year old to even listen - so he may have had a marketing problem if it was the A-side.
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: April 20 2008, 22:00

I could only download a text file as well. I'm in Australia so I'm not sure whether there are any access restrictions. I'd be grateful for any help.
Profile PM 
Spinne Offline

Posted: April 23 2008, 15:47

Maybe your browser is downloading the file with the wrong extension. This happens to me using Netscape Navigator but it works OK using Internet Explorer.

If this is the problem try to download the file right clicking the "Download" botton and choosing "save destination as" or something similar.

Also, you can try to rename the file with the right extension (*.torrent) and it should work.
Profile PM 
Bassman Offline

Posted: Oct. 07 2008, 20:20

Said it before and I'll say it again.  This set kicks ass.  Eat it, Virgin!

:p

--------------
Turn up the music... Hi as Fi can go.
Profile PM 
bob Offline

Posted: Jan. 16 2009, 11:16

This set is the sort of thing the Elements Bob should have been,the best MO collection Ive heard
Bob
Profile PM 
captainjjb Offline

Posted: Jan. 23 2009, 16:35

wonderful stuff.  I've not heard some of these ditties since I was a bit of a MO collector back in the early 80's - it's like opening up an old drawer to find your old life.  Many thanks indeed to you Spinne
Profile PM 
Highlander Offline

Posted: Sep. 21 2017, 09:33

Anyone know where I can get hold of this these days ?
Profile PM 
Thea Cochrane Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: Sep. 23 2017, 19:46

Is this the same as the compilation Posh! did years ago? From memory the tracklisting is similar.
Profile PM 
35 replies since Feb. 11 2008, 16:29 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (2) < 1 [2] >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net