Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (2) < 1 [2] >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: The Best of Tubular Bells< Next Oldest | Next Newest >

Unregistered

Posted: May 04 2001, 05:31

The bell has been taken from the original and put onto a black background - if you look very carefully you can see slivers of the original blue on some of the edges of the bell...

Paul

Unregistered

Posted: May 04 2001, 05:58

The cover *is* from the promo CD, and will be used for the final release. Larger scans, including the back cover can be seen on the news page of www.mikeoldfield.org

Paul
marko Offline

Group: Members.
Posted: May 04 2001, 18:56

Hello Pacha .
I am happy that my drawing makes react !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

On the other hand, it does not is necessary to confuse. In this drawing, I do not compare the Christ with MO, but the cross and the tubular....nuance !!!!

I am one the most fan of ++MO. but on this album, it is, again, tangles a financial !!!!!!

It IS AN IDLE !!!!!!
Profile PM WEB 
christopher Offline

Group: Members
Posted: May 04 2001, 22:32

ok paul... im gonna say it... LAZINESS.. pure without a doubt LAZINESS!!!!!!!!!!! who in the hell made this cover? youd think that somone might have put a little more time into the packaging than that!?!?!?! i mean my god... any idiot with photoshop could have made that cover... a two year old child playing around with a program could have made that. hell we could have an apple 2e and make something like that!!!! come on someone is just being purely stupid and lazy... and needs to get a clue!!!!

this goes on to continuely prove my theory on why napster exists and will never leave!! record companies are full of untalneted ppl with absolutely no brains or business sense!!! ever called an AR or PR department??? dumb asses, everyone of them!!! youre looking for what artist... hold the line and let me see if i can find them on our list... when they come back to the line they are still confused!!! i mean if this is sort of thing that record companies are going to package and release... then just do us all a favour and DONT RELEASE ANYTHING!!!! from someone who has lots and lots of experience in marketing and packaging plus retail... i can assure you that the packaging of a product means everything to its potential success!!! no one is going to by something that has a picture pasted on to a plain background done very very unprofessionally!!!

if you cant tell paul im extremely disappointed with virgin and whom ever made this covers laziness and lack of talent!!!!

on to one other thing... that cartoon on this page... i am not one that has any particular religious affiliation... but i DO feel that that is going a little too far and somewhat disrespecting others beliefs!! it would have been better to have left jesus off of there completely and just had mike!! i dont feel that that would have been so offensive to some. im not offended by it... just feel that there could have been a better way to make the comparison between the bell and the cross!

anyhoo... ive said my peace! paul when you read this... please pass along to whom ever the creator of the current artwork is the following... they are extremely lazy and untalented... if this is sort of rubbish they are going to produce and publish!!! they could have atleast created a new TB that was fresh looking and not pasted looking!!!

take care :-)

christopher
Profile PM 

Unregistered

Posted: May 07 2001, 14:48

I agree with the comments about the cover. It does not do the music or anyone justice. I am afraid that decisions like this are based purely on commercial considerations such as potential return on investment. If an album is going to sell bucketloads then expect more up front promotion...
liron Offline

Posted: May 30 2001, 17:14

yet ANOTHER commercial attempt, to bash the already severly beaten corpse of tubular bells.

mike... the next PRS you buy, won't be bought on MY record buyin' money.

get a life [censored]

call me up when they invent a time machine, so i can beat the hell out of you as a child. THAT will teach you to stay in your room and play the guitar more often, instead of [censored] and practicing stupid new age tai-chi, while trying to "chill me out" with this new "relaxed" game pod yer buildin'. when i want to relax i go shit in the toilet - i don't sell it as a groundbraking new kind of shit, with a joystick attached to it.

[censored]

yours truely

liron

I had to censor parts of this message. Sorry. - Olivier
Profile PM 
tubularbills Offline

Posted: July 08 2001, 12:05

Well, i bought this CD, and i think it is just kind of cool to have added to my collection. it is something good to listen to, and i think the way it is arranged is fairly decent. the parts of part one of TB run smoothly together, and sounds pretty cool. it then breaks off to bring in TB2, TB3, and TMB. Its a good compilation of just the BELLS. the cover art is nothing spectacular, but it could be worse....

i am satisfied with my purchase.

--------------
Terrible, Wonderful, Crazy, Perfect.
Profile PM 
Olivier Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: July 08 2001, 23:38

Regarding the often criticized cover: just like the tracks were cut from the albums, the cover was cut. I have no problem with this concept for the cover (it would be more shocking to have a brand new design for a best of old tracks) altough I think black is not the best color for Tubular Bells. Maybe they could have cut pieces from the different covers, but the idea to cut the cover is not that bad in my opinion: the challenge would be not to redraw anything, just like nothing was replayed for the music, everything has to been recycled. That might explain why they chose black: something neutral, that adds nothing to the design.

There is a mistake in the tracklisting: A '.' is missing after 'edit' on track 12.

In Canada, it's an import and hard to find, there is no promotion whatsoever for it, and it's more expensive than the average CD. Only fans will buy it in Canada.

A video with Mike explaining TB track by track could be extremly interesting and helps him to develop his trademark of multitracking a lot: Mike in his studio with the master tracks (or something like that), selecting some tracks and commenting about them. Maybe for the re-recording, but then, it will be probably mainly done with computers, it's not as "magic" as the first Tubular Bells and the weird techniques he probably used.
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: July 09 2001, 11:15

I don't intend to add my voice to all the others who say that the tracklist is bad, the cover is bad, the album itself is bad etc. etc. I'd simply like to say that I bought this CD because I'm a fan, but I just don't like anything about it. That's all. wink

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
GMOVJ Offline

Posted: July 09 2001, 11:36

Well well well... I didn't listen to it yet, but the tracklist seem to be cool, and three or four people from my mother-tongue-tubular-mailing-list like it very much, so, I've already bought it, and I'm waiting its delivery... After all, it's a Oldfield CD, even if nothing is new in it, I think this mix can be cool... wait and see.

biggrin PS : and -Tim- and -cp., what do you think of it ? (i hope we gonna have a wonderful funny dialogue in here too !!!!)

--------------
Cheers,
GMOVJ
[URL=http://tubular.fodplanet.com]http://tubular.fodplanet.com[/URL] - The french speaking mailing list
Profile PM WEB 
TimHighfield Offline

Posted: July 09 2001, 11:57

Hi GMOVJ wink

If you're subscribed to Amarok (uh-oh), you probably know that I haven't seen TBOTB in Australia yet. I may buy it if I see it (it still has interest value, as I don't have Exposed yet either).

I still wish it was something like what Wojtek and I proposed in another topic when the compilation was first announced though. frown

As for "wonderful funny dialogue", well, I don't know if CP will turn up here, so there (un)fortunately may not be any.

-Tim-
Profile PM WEB 
cp Offline

Posted: July 09 2001, 12:00

GMOVJ - as I said on Amarok, I haven't heard TBOTB yet, but I'd imagine that there wouldn't be a lot new.

The "awfully funny dialogue" for those who aren't on Amarok was an extended conversation (it would be a flamewar, only we were agreeing with each other) which got very silly. In case anyone here is curious, I have uploaded a copy to http://www.chem.com.au/cp/temp/ - it's amarok_silly_discussion.txt; the other files were inspired by a silly conversation on Tubular Chat between Korgscrew, myself and Tim. You can decide for yourself whether the dialogue was funny or awful wink

-cp.
Returned from the dead.
Profile PM WEB 
TimHighfield Offline

Posted: July 09 2001, 12:02

OK, he did turn up. wink

-Tim-
Profile PM WEB 
GMOVJ Offline

Posted: July 10 2001, 02:45

hi all
I know you both can't find TBOTB, but i just wanted to know if you could make another dialogue in here ! wink
Funny or Awful ? Well, you subject: line made me laugh , especially the "Lettuce, Sealing Wax, and Monarchy in general", and "On Mon, 9 Jul 2001, Tim Highfield wrote in lemon juice etc..."... things like that...
It was just a good moment to read this...
And now let's go back to the topic (in case someone want to bash us with a piece of fish...)
Cheers, GMOVJ

--------------
Cheers,
GMOVJ
[URL=http://tubular.fodplanet.com]http://tubular.fodplanet.com[/URL] - The french speaking mailing list
Profile PM WEB 
TimHighfield Offline

Posted: July 10 2001, 04:18

Back on topic? Never!

You may be pleased to know that I sent another order in for stone tablets, meaning that I by next week I can either use them for writing for silliness on, or to recover from a massive headache. wink

Anyway, GMOVJ, you probably wouldn't want another dialogue in here like on Amarok (or those in charge wouldn't anyway wink).

-Tim-
Profile PM WEB 
TimHighfield Offline

Posted: July 10 2001, 04:25

Oh, and BTW...

I seem to be out of fish...which means I can't bash anyone. Although I do have plenty of chips left...

And of course I'm not down to my last baked potato yet wink.

-Tim-

This message brought to you by TimHighfield, one of the first Australians to bring back all-out potato warfare.
Profile PM WEB 
gorjanbak Offline

Posted: July 29 2001, 14:45

Whell.This is one dissapointment from Mike when everybody expect something new from him.I think that this album is made very quikly and (for me of course) it had some bad mix between the tracks and the sound is somewhere very low and somewhere very high so it can destroy your ears.Hoewer end the cover is bad and whitout any sence as same as in Millennium Bell.I think that covers that appears in Mike's recent 4 records (Tubular bells 3 , Guitars , Millennium bell and now in The best of TB) are silly.
Ok we are still expecting that Music virtual reality think and i think that it will be good project.
Profile PM 
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: July 29 2001, 19:47

I'm intrigued...

Might I ask what about the TB3 cover you find silly?

If I think about it, the idea of a picture of a bent piece of metal isn't entirely sensible in the first place, especially when accompanied by Trevor Key's piles of burning bones on a beach (that is, on the original's cover). I'd say the TB3 one was quite nicely minimal...the bell was well photographed as well. I think TB3's cover is less silly than the original, but perhaps that's just me smile

I can't say I was expecting something new - I know Mike's working on a project, and don't expect anything else before that's finished (which it sort of is, it seems).
I can't say I expected anything groundbreaking from what is just a compilation of old tracks. I've seen far worse album covers as well - TBOTB's cover is clear and not totally without style.

Compilations are usually about money. They don't aim to break new artistic ground in the way that albums sometimes do; they're just there to repackage some old material and sell it to a new audience (or in the case of ardent fans who buy everything, selling it to the same audience again).

At least Virgin still take an interest in selling Mike's work. Would we rather have them selling remasters that fans think could have been done better and compilations fans aren't really happy with, or have them just drop Mike completely and leave us never able to buy his albums in the shops? (ok, that's not going to happen now, they sell too well...just a scenario to think about).
Profile PM 
37 replies since Mar. 22 2001, 19:47 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (2) < 1 [2] >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net