Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (2) < [1] 2 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: The Best of Tubular Bells< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Olivier Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: Mar. 22 2001, 19:47

'The Best of Tubular Bells', compiled and edited by Simon Heyworth, has been released on 4 June 2001. Virgin press release. You can order it at Amazon.co.uk. Photo of the cover. (Thanks, Nacho Marin)
[updated June 04]

Tubular Bells - Part 1 (Original Edit)
Tubular Bells - Part 1 (Orchestral Edit)
Tubular Bells - Part 1 (Exposed Edit)
Tubular Bells - Part 2 'The Caveman Song' (Original Edit)
Tubular Bells - Part 2 (Exposed Edit)
Sentinel (Tubular Bells II)
The Bell (Tubular Bells II)
Far Above The Clouds  (Tubular Bells III)
The Millennium Bell (The Millennium Bell)
Tubular Bells - Part 2 'Sailors Hornpipe' (Original Edit)
Profile PM 
Olivier Offline

Posted: Mar. 22 2001, 19:51

Here is the complete text of the press release:

The Best of Tubular Bells From Mike Oldfield

Tubular Bells has made a massive impact since the original release back in 1973, spending almost an eternity at the top of the charts. There have been many imitators and whilst influencing both major artists and mainstream music in the process, it has sold over 10 million copies world wide. It was popularised initially by the film The Exorcist with chilling effects. The music is a groundbreaking instrumental that has swept the nation, transcending all genres to become a colossal musical phenomenon.

With the huge success of Tubular Bells, Oldfield decided to recreate the essence of the original Orchestral Tubular Bells (1974) Exposed (live recordings - 1979), Tubular Bells II (1992), Tubular Bells III (1998) and most recently The Millennium Bell (1999). Proving that longeivity is possible if you have all the right ingredients, including the quality of the original recording and the unique nature of the Tubular Bells series which has inspired the release of 'The Best Of Tubular Bells'.

Compiled by Simon Heyworth who produced the original Tubular Bells release and in close consultation with Mike Oldfield - it includes the best sections of all Oldfields previous releases. Anyone who is wondering how these individual movements have been lifted from the entire scores will be thrilled by Heyworth's meticulous attention to detail and imaginative editing of these seminal works.

Tracklisting

Tubular Bells - Part 1 (Orchestral Edit)
Tubular Bells - Part 1 (Exposed Edit)
Tubular Bells - Part 2 'The Caveman Song' (Original Edit)
Tubular Bells - Part 2 (Exposed Edit)
Sentinal (Tubular Bells II)
The Bell (Tubular Bells II)
The Millennium Bell (The Millennium Bell)
Tubular Bells - Part 2 'Sailors Hornpipe' (Original Edit)

The Best Of Tubular Bells will be available from 4th June 2001.
Profile PM 
Fox Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Mar. 22 2001, 20:57

What?!! Nothing from TB3?????? Sheesh, it's a TB incarnation, I'd think they'd have put something from TB3 on it!

I suppose for a compilation of edits, it should get its point across....but I'm just a bit shocked that there's nothing from 3 on there.
Profile PM 
Osiris Offline

Posted: Mar. 23 2001, 03:50

Well, I'm a bit deceived, I thought that they'll put best pieces of the 4 tubular bells albums, but not. There are funny pieces, like Caveman song, and sailors hornpipe, but they shouldn't be on that compilation. Same thing for the piece "the millenium bell", which is not really great at all. And here's the worst thing, they didn't put Far above the clouds... What a deception...
I'll buy this compilation, but i'll feel a real deception.
Profile PM 
Thomas Höögh Offline

Posted: Mar. 23 2001, 06:52

Well, what can I say, I am very dissapointed that there is nothing from TB3 on the album. TB3 is according to me the best TB-album, and why did they include a song from The Millennium Bell together with all that tubular bells songs. TMB has nothing to do with the TB-albums, or am I totally wrong?

And why is there 3 Tubular Bells - Part 1 (Original Edit)?

I'm kind of dissapointed about this album actually, but as a collector I'm going to buy it anyway.

--------------
Crazy, terrible, wonderful, perfect!!!!

I just love Tubular Bells |||
Profile PM WEB 
Ludor Tudor Offline

Posted: Mar. 23 2001, 09:57

Well, well, well.....
I'm not impressed! As all the other's I really think it is strange why only one track from TB III is included. Even though I had in mind that Virgin wouldn't use to much from Warner's list. But they could think a bit more about the fans. I would like to have Top of the morning there..... frown
But another thing that I wonder; Is it only me, or do anyone else think that it would be better to release a studio-version of Berlin 2000 before a new "Best of" album confused

--------------
Kjell at oldfield.no
Why don't you have a try to win at the competition?
Profile PM WEB 
christopher Offline

Posted: Mar. 23 2001, 13:01

ok... what in the hell is wrong with these ppl??? has mike smoked to much weed... what???? first off... what do we need the exposed on there for... there are FAR BETTER concerts to choose from for material... imho!!! and also... um excuse me... but wasnt TB3 a tubular bells album too??? im seriously annoyed by the whole thing... and personally i am going to write paul at dark star and convey my disappointment with this compiliation!!! maybe if we pull together and write paul... we might get something accomplished... like some track changes!?!?! cant hurt to try atleast!! anyhoo... im outta here. and like one other person on here said... yeah ill go out and buy it cause its mike and its tubular bells. but thats the only reason i can see at this point!

christopher
- annoyed and disapointed
Profile PM 
Olivier Offline

Posted: Mar. 23 2001, 13:28

The 'Far Above The Clouds' track was missing in the first tracklisting published here. It appeared first on the listing published by Dark Star.
Profile PM 
Wojtek Offline

Posted: Mar. 23 2001, 17:02

I'm disappointed with BoTB. We know all these tracks, there's nothing new. If it would be remixed in one piece of music "Tubular Trilogy"
I would be much happier. christopher, it's great idea, let's everybody write to dark star, what do we think about this.
Profile PM 

Unregistered

Posted: Mar. 25 2001, 16:39

A number of discussions took place on how this album would be put together - including a best of mix, re-recording pieces etc. It was decided to make this a mass market/TV album i.e those people who might have bought the vinyl, but never got around to buying the CD... and not aimed at the fans

Also suggested, (by me), was a double CD to include otherwise unreleased material, or tracks that have not appeared on CD before. Something is planned for the future, probably 2003 - which is the 30th anniversary of TB.

Paul
Dark Star
TimHighfield Offline

Posted: Mar. 25 2001, 18:07

Paul from Dark Star wrote:

Also suggested, (by me), was a double CD to include otherwise unreleased material, or tracks that have not appeared on CD before. Something is planned for the future, probably 2003 - which is the 30th anniversary of TB.

Is this cheering you up now? biggrin

It's making me happy. It's what some of us might have been waiting for. biggrin

-Tim-
Profile PM WEB 

Unregistered

Posted: Mar. 26 2001, 05:01

I am working the people at Virgin to get something of value released - but everything is really driven by commercial considerations, which limits what they are prepared to do. The other option is to do something through Dark Star, and we are, and have been looking at that too, but its not as easy as it appears.

BTW - track listing, sleeve notes, cover design etc. for the best of are all finalised. Its too late to make any changes...

Paul
Dark Star
GMOVJ Offline

Posted: Mar. 26 2001, 06:57

Hi all
All right, don't be angry, we all know that this BoTB is made to mass market and maybe to answear to those who recently see 'The Exorcist' and want to know more about the music they heard. It can makes some good convert ! wink

I'm not desapointed by this compilation, 'cos it's not for fan.
IMHO, though there's not so much TB3 in it, I think tracklist is good.

BTW, I think this is a good thing for advertising to release this now, while 'The Exorcist' is on screen. It may help Mike to be more famous, to have new audience, to be present on TV (by advert...), to relaunch his career in some countries, and to promote his others albums.

Paul, I'm very pleased by your announcement ! Let's wait for 2003 ! biggrin

Regards, GMOVJ

--------------
Cheers,
GMOVJ
[URL=http://tubular.fodplanet.com]http://tubular.fodplanet.com[/URL] - The french speaking mailing list
Profile PM WEB 
christopher Offline

Posted: Mar. 26 2001, 12:49

ok... paul said that the cover art and sleeve notes have been finalized... so when do we get to see some cover art??? hopefully the cover wont be a rehash of the same thing weve seen for 28 years... plain blah TB covers! well for the exception of TMB which was atleast more interesting... imho... than just plopping a tubular bell in the middle of a page with a different coloured background each time! the first TB cover is rather out dated and very new agey hippy looking... well atleast to me. it needs bringing up to style... otherwise i really dont feel it will catch the eye nor the attention of your typical US teens... who go for look not substance as we all know... lol. i dont know about the rest of the world... but if mike wants to relaunch a popular come back in the states... he's gonna have to work on his album appearance... packaging is everything to the success of a product you havent heard b4... atleast in my experience working in various record shops(oncue, sam goody, and blockbuster music). we should all be happy that paul is writing the sleeve notes instead of david lang... this time ppl will actually get some accurate info! :-) anyhoo... as i said b4... when are we gonna get to see some cover art paul??? please post some up soon... thank you! :-)

christopher
Profile PM 

Unregistered

Posted: Mar. 28 2001, 09:59

Should have the cover art soon - I'll post it on www.mikeoldfield.org when its available.

Paul
perihelion Offline

Posted: May 03 2001, 09:17

Who is this aimed for ? Collectors ?
Wouldn't it have been nice if there had been some kind of bonus on the CD ? Something unreleased (wich I'm sure there has got to be) or something new. I wont buy it.
And I don't understand the inclusion of the Millenium Bell track. Surely there are better and more serious tracks than that wich could have been included from that album ?
And last but not least... The cover artwork was extremely boring, dull and uninspiring...

Profile PM 
Olivier Offline

Posted: May 03 2001, 10:26

It could be the cover of the promo version of the CD, although 'promo' is not written on it.
Profile PM 
Pacha Daddy Offline

Posted: May 03 2001, 11:34

I hate to sound like a namby-pamby, but does anyone else find the new illustration on the home page ("Everyone has their cross to bear") just a little offensive?

I'm surprised that it bothers me, because I'm pretty thick-skinned when it comes to edgy humor, but...the Oldfield/Christ comparison is a bit rough, as is the guy with the whip.

Maybe it's just me...
Profile PM WEB 
Olivier Offline

Posted: May 03 2001, 11:38

The Christ is not the only one to have been crucified. Roman people used to do it to any kind of people who didn't respect their law.
Profile PM 
CarstenKuss Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: May 03 2001, 17:35

Noticed something: The picture of the Bell seems to be exactly the same as of TB1 (only different background). No redesign, first time. Back to the roots?

--------------
-Carsten-
Profile PM WEB 
37 replies since Mar. 22 2001, 19:47 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (2) < [1] 2 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net