Olivier Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: Mar. 07 2008, 02:05

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eDg3ULBtezI
Profile PM 
trcanberra Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Mar. 07 2008, 16:54

Nice clip - just wondering who the MC is?

Thanks

Edit - ah - it's Viv  :cool:
Profile PM 
Sweetpea Offline

Posted: May 26 2008, 00:21

I nominate this as 'Most Tasteful MO Video'. 10/10

--------------
"I'm no physicist, but technically couldn't Mike both be with the horse and be flying through space at the same time? (On account of the earth's orbit around the Sun and all that). So it seems he never had to make the choice after all. I bet he's kicking himself now." - clotty
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: May 26 2008, 18:17

@ Sweetpea, I fully agree. The most tasteful one, and also one of the most stylish, "North Point" from TWC being a close second. :)

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
olracUK Offline

Posted: May 27 2008, 20:04

Sir Rawlinson would approve. Always good to see these Olivier.

--------------
The answer is 42 - but what is the question?
Profile PM 
Sweetpea Offline

Posted: Jan. 23 2009, 16:58

I'd like to perfect that side-to-side-finger-snappin move the vocalists are doing at 2:32. They look like real hep cats, there.

--------------
"I'm no physicist, but technically couldn't Mike both be with the horse and be flying through space at the same time? (On account of the earth's orbit around the Sun and all that). So it seems he never had to make the choice after all. I bet he's kicking himself now." - clotty
Profile PM 
HRFanUSA Offline

Posted: July 31 2009, 11:13

WOW! Why isn't this on a DVD I can buy?

...totally blown away....
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: Mar. 10 2010, 07:49

I hate to be the voice of dissent, but I think this is an awful video! Who wants to associate this music with crawling insects, or floating musical instruments a la the beginning of the old Mickey Mouse Club? In my opinion Mike's music works best when it is set against wild, majestic landscapes, oceans, futuristic cities, space.
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Mar. 10 2010, 18:09

@ nightspore: those aren't bugs, they're notes. I have no idea about the concept of the video, but, as the music is so abstract than its subject cannot be anything else than music itself (especially with the multiple instruments played by Mike in the piece), I guess that the video was intented as a visual representation of music. From that point of view it works greatly and, I repeat, it's very stylish, but of course that's just my view of it. I also guess that Mike's music works well with wide-open landscapes, as you say, for the very same reason, i.e. that most of it is abstract. And because of the fact that it's abstract, the pictures that it may conjure up in anyone's mind (if any) vary from person to person. For example, when I hear "Misty" (as mentioned in another topic) I don't think about mist, I think about a pleasant walk on the beach, barefoot, at night. :) And when I hear "Turtle Island" - apart from associating it with the nice scene from the game, of course - I feel like I'm in a small café somewhere in Spain, again late at night... they're just about near closing time, and there's a guitarist, a keyboardist and a saxophonist having a go at their last tune, before they go to bed. :) So, I think that sometimes videos (beyond their purely promotional purposes) are made to give people some kind of springboard to build their own visual fantasies when they hear a piece of music. The only trouble is that sometimes a video may end up imposing its own imagery on a song, and this is not really nice, IMHO.

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: Mar. 10 2010, 18:44

Quote (Ugo @ Mar. 10 2010, 18:09)
:) And when I hear "Turtle Island" - apart from associating it with the nice scene from the game, of course - I feel like I'm in a small café somewhere in Spain, again late at night

Hi Ugo, I'd get quite cross if I ended up associating "Turtle Island" with cafes, which I hate... At the moment I associate it with a beautiful tropical beach in North Queensland, with a similar name.

I take your point about the video of "The Bell", but I still don't like it. And I still think those musical notes look like ants!  :p
Profile PM 
manintherain Offline

Group: Members.
Posted: Mar. 11 2010, 02:10

Quote (HRFanUSA @ July 31 2009, 17:13)
WOW! Why isn't this on a DVD I can buy?

...totally blown away....

No, the video hasn't been released on DVD. All the videos under Warner license still wait to see the light of day on DVD including
Sentinel, Tattoo (both versions), Let There Be Light (Short Version, Long Version, BT Mix), Hibernaculum, Women Of Ireland (two versions), Man In The Rain and To Be Free.

C'mon Warner!

:cool:
Profile PM 
Scatterplot Offline

Posted: Mar. 11 2010, 13:56

Cute. Perhaps a little too cute. Great CD tho. Whatever.....

--------------
We raise our voices in the night
Crying to heaven
And will our voices be heard
Or will they break Like the wind
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: Mar. 11 2010, 20:20

Quote (Scatterplot @ Mar. 11 2010, 13:56)
Cute. Perhaps a little too cute.

Yes. I think the reason those musical notes remind me of ants is they behave very much like the ants in Tr3s Lunas.
Profile PM 
12 replies since Mar. 07 2008, 02:05 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net