Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (4) < 1 2 3 [4] >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: The beauty of Maya Gold< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Jesse Offline

Group: Members
Posted: June 30 2009, 06:24

maya gold and ambient guitars after eachother, circling bass figures chasing....niiiiice :D
Profile PM 
Delfín Offline

Posted: Nov. 19 2010, 07:11

Quote (Sir Mustapha @ Nov. 03 2008, 19:33)
Quote (Sweetpea @ Nov. 03 2008, 00:52)
PPS: And the vocals at the end are not "ATROCIOUS" at all, Sir M. They are quite inoffensive. You probably hate the "Eeyah, eeyah, eeyah..." from "Pacha Mama" as, well.  :p

Yes, I do. But the "vocals" on Tubular Bells II are just beyond bad. In fact, all those synthetic sounds and samples on the album come straight from the time when you'd see a guy-in-a-suit before a big box filled with buttons and switches saying "And with this tiny machine, we're able to reproduce with perfection the real sounds of a living orchestra!", and then it proceeds to imitate a violin by sounding like a buzzing mosquito. This in itself is not necessarily atrocious, but there's so much focus on them, it's like the music is working for the machines - and not the opposite, as you'd see on a, say, Aphex Twin release from that time.

Jajajajajajaja!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

--------------
The most precious thing I possess, is knowing the answer's yes
Profile PM 
Delfín Offline

Posted: Nov. 19 2010, 07:12

--- edited by Delfín --- (due to error)

--------------
Profile PM 
Delfín Offline

Posted: Nov. 19 2010, 07:15

Quote (Sir Mustapha @ Nov. 03 2008, 19:33)
In fact, all those synthetic sounds and samples on the album come straight from the time when you'd see a guy-in-a-suit before a big box filled with buttons and switches saying "And with this tiny machine, we're able to reproduce with perfection the real sounds of a living orchestra!", and then it proceeds to imitate a violin by sounding like a buzzing mosquito.

Jajajaja!!!!!

--------------
Profile PM 
Jesse Offline

Posted: Sep. 18 2011, 10:28

But the synth sounds in TB2 are pretty clever and fit in with the music, so it wasn't a problem :)
Profile PM 
kazav Offline

Posted: Nov. 14 2011, 13:23

Quote (Ugo @ Nov. 05 2008, 15:26)
Quote (nightspore @ Nov. 05 2008, 03:30)
I wonder if Alphaville are worth investigating further, or whether "Forever Young" was just a flash in the pan [...]

@ nightspore: Alphaville in general are a flash-in-the-pan, or a meteor (as they say here in Italy), because they've just had two hits - "Forever Young" and "Big in Japan". "Forever Young" is quite a good song, but, in my view of it, is spoiled by being entirely electronic like most of that time's stuff. It would sound much better with a 'heavy' guitar solo playing what that silly (IMO) trumpet sound does... or still better, with heavy guitars through the whole song. :) To me (and I agree with Caveman here) something sounds 'dated' when it's got too much of what was peculiar of a certain era. TB (1973) sounds dated to me because it sounds 'prog', and unfortunately TB 2003 still does; "Forever Young" sounds dated to me because it's electronic. But there's nothing in TBII (always IMO) that makes it sound dated, so, at least to me, it doesn't.

Sorry to drag up an old post but have to set the record straight.

Actually, Alphaville have had more than two hits throughout Europe. They are still going strong too - just had two hit singles and a hit album in the past year in Germany. They are not actually a synthpop band and the styles of music they have employed over the years have varied greatly and still do.

There are other Alphaville songs that are as emotional, if not moreso, than Forever Young (which these days, especially live, is not so synthy).  Like this one, for instance which, when I first heard it, automatically made me think of MO:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Y5Fqcuz_Eg

--------------
The purpose of education is to replace an empty mind with an open one.
Profile PM 
65 replies since June 05 2006, 11:14 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (4) < 1 2 3 [4] >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net