Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (4) < 1 2 [3] 4 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: The beauty of Maya Gold< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Tubularman Offline

Group: Awaiting Authorisation
Posted: Nov. 16 2008, 08:36

i have good memories about that lovely stunning melody. It remians me of crete and the sea down there. The warm wind in the my hair while listening to Mike Oldfield with my mp3 player when i walk down the beach. I was stuck to maya Gold for a long while and specially this moment i never forget.
Great track indeed, really beauitful...

--------------
Mike Oldfield M i x e s
https://soundcloud.com/tubularman
Profile PM WEB 
nightspore Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Nov. 18 2008, 06:29

While generally agreeing with Ugo about improvised music, I'd be interested in hearing any opinions as to the extent to which that brilliant guitar solo in "Celt" is improvised. In my opinion, that piece of music is a total success, so any answers to my question will heavily sway my view of improvisation!
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Nov. 18 2008, 08:13

@ NIghtspore: if "Celt" is the song that goes "As far wrengo delta..." (etc.) - I'm not really sure about track titles on QE2 - then there's no improvisation at all in there, it's all composed. Improvisation, to me, is going completely off the track of any previously estabilished melody, including none of the melody itself in what you're playing. If there's a melody in "Maya Gold", well, that has definitely to be the cyclic bass figure going most of the way through the piece, which to me it very Irish. Improvising doesn't mean (@ Sweetpea) not knowing what you're doing... when Mike or anyone else improvises, they know perfectly what they're doing: they're improvising. :D And they're fully aware of it. But I'm just not too fond of it as a playing style.

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: Nov. 18 2008, 09:26

The solo in Celt is not improvised at all.It's structure suggests a lot of thought went into.The solo on Maya Gold was improvised without a doubt but this section mirrors the original TB section which was again improvised (as Mike himself has said).
I can understand the comments on improvisation but it depends on the player.I improvise 99% of solos in my band but retain key elements and phrases within that.A lot of guitarists improvise as it's more about self expression.Regarding the comments about the Edinburgh concert version of Maya Gold it makes sense to improvise as the original was improvised so why not?All musicians who are creative will improvise as it can be restrictive if they are stuck into a rigid structure.Mike in particular has always improvised to some extent from Children Of The Sun onwards.Watch the live version of TB from the Elements video where he adds imbelishments to his bass and guitar parts(In particular listen to his use of the wah pedal in the section leading up to the finale).Then go to any of the live versions of TB from the Exposed era onwards.The section that Maya Gold represents on TB part 2 is improvised and Mike himself says on the Essential video that he always improvises this section.
 I guess it depends on wether you go to a gig and expect to hear it exactly like the record note for note or wether you'd rather hear the musician doing something slightly different with it.To me a gig is an event and as such the musician will play with more freedom than a recording studio allows.Improvisation needn't be about the guitarist doing something completely unrelated (something Mike cannot be accused of)and just showing off what he/she can do.It can be very subtle.

--------------
THE COMING OF THE GREAT WHITE HANDKERCHEIF IS NIGH.
Profile PM 
yanouch65 Offline

Posted: Nov. 18 2008, 09:54

Quote (The Caveman @ Nov. 18 2008, 15:26)
The solo on Maya Gold was improvised without a doubt

Hello Mr D.

I am not a musician and my language is French....therefore I need some explanations....

You said the solo on Maya Gold was improvised......
You mean on the studio album? and how can you be sure about that?

Thank you

Mr Y :)

--------------
Ray said : "it is a shame you don't play"

manintherain said: "You´d better ask Mr. Y who was first"

yanouch65 says: "I am in love with Scotland"
Profile PM 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: Nov. 18 2008, 10:09

Sorry again.I mean the original studio version on TBII was improvised.I read in an interview,the name of which escapes me,that he improvised it.It does sound improvised to my ears.He also said in an interview in the articles section that he "improvises all the time".The solo at the end of Ommadawn part 1was also partially improvised and completed in one day.

--------------
Profile PM 
yanouch65 Offline

Posted: Nov. 18 2008, 15:00

Ok...thank you...

:)

--------------

Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: Nov. 18 2008, 17:45

Quote (The Caveman @ Nov. 18 2008, 09:26)
All musicians who are creative will improvise as it can be restrictive if they are stuck into a rigid structure.

In the classical concerto room was allowed for this in the form of the "cadenza", where the player of the solo instrument is allowed to improvise. Even then, some composers, such as Mozart, used to write out their cadenzas!
Profile PM 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: Nov. 19 2008, 08:55

Another thing is peices like Vivaldi's Four Seasons.There are violin solo's which originally would have improvised sections.What we hear and accept as The Four Seasons is different to how it would originally have been when written.The improvisation has become a recognised part of the peice. :laugh:

--------------
Profile PM 
Ciderginaspro Offline

Posted: Nov. 20 2008, 03:24

Nothing new to bring to this topic, but I completely agree ! Maya Gold is magnificent.
We come from a powerful piece with Altered State, and dive in an absolutely peace. Sound is great, Mike plays it so finely and lightly. I listen to lots of music, for +/- 30 years now (I'm almost 40) and appreciate other artists, but nobody else than him can give me so much happiness. I can listen again and again and never be tired of his music. I listen to the TB II tape in my car everyday and have always the same pleasure. And the powerful of Mike is also that he can play it the same on stage; some artists have really good albums because of the help of technic, but are a disaster on stage. He will never be.
It's hard for me to explain in English what I think, but I'm sure you'll understand my feelings. It's so beautiful I could cry (and sometimes I do it !!!;).
A world without Mike would not be the same.... and I'm sad for the people who doesn't know him... :D
have a good day, full of love and joy
Claire
Profile PM 
Manny Offline

Posted: Nov. 21 2008, 18:23

I don't know. Maya Gold is one of my favs, nevertheless, it was only after being fond of this song that I went to apreciate Ambient Guitars en TB1, to tell the truth, I even went to enjoy the same passage in Classical TB.  Maya Gold is to be listened to with closed eyes trying to follow the texture and movement of the sound as it appears in (maybe this last has no sense at all but I can't describe it any better).  Depending of your mood, it can be so intense that it hurts. Try this: listen to it in a rainy morning, and look through the window and you'll see.
Profile PM 
Jools Offline

Posted: Nov. 22 2008, 07:27

First of all - Maya Gold is beautiful.

I reckon the guitar solo (melody) might have emerged through improvisation, as part of the method of composing the piece, but I can't imagine for a minute it's a one-take improvisation.
Many compositions are generated through improvisation but the ideas, and phrases that emerge through the improvisation become the basis for a more structured piece.

The Maya Gold melody may be loose and "rubato" but it has  clear structure, it's thoughtful and considered, flows beautifully and is easy to replicate "note for note". It's a proper composition in my opinion.
Profile PM 
Bassman Offline

Posted: Nov. 22 2008, 14:01

Jools has it right.  But I think some folks here might be getting confused by what defines improvisation.  When a performer deviates from playing what's expected in a pre-existing piece of music that one is already familiar with, that's improv.  If MO sits down and records a piece where he's just freewheeling it and had not written it down first, that's mainly just being satisfied with something he did on the fly and decided to keep on the finished product.
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Nov. 22 2008, 17:28

Quote (Bassman @ Nov. 22 2008, 20:01)
If MO sits down and records a piece where he's just freewheeling it and had not written it down first, that's mainly just being satisfied with something he did on the fly and decided to keep on the finished product.

Well, that's exactly what I think he did on Maya Gold, and more or less what I'm not very fond it - its "done-on-the-fly" nature. I guess I've been using the wrong terminology up to now. :)

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
ex member 419 Offline

Posted: Nov. 23 2008, 19:51

I agree. This piece is breathtaking and Altered States at the end blends nicely giving it an ethereal, spiritual feel. Mike has written many beautiful pieces, sheer genius

Cheers,
Deb
Profile PM 
ex member 419 Offline

Posted: Nov. 23 2008, 19:53

Quote (nightspore @ Nov. 18 2008, 06:29)
While generally agreeing with Ugo about improvised music, I'd be interested in hearing any opinions as to the extent to which that brilliant guitar solo in "Celt" is improvised. In my opinion, that piece of music is a total success, so any answers to my question will heavily sway my view of improvisation!

[QUOTE]

Celt ..The peak of perfection- Deb
Profile PM 
Atrastorm Offline

Posted: Feb. 05 2009, 09:59

Maya Gold is one of Mikes most beautiful moments on guitar and of course is played on the pink strat (I cant believe he sold it!;)
but its counter part, also known as "ambient guitars" is beautiful too.
Profile PM 
yanouch65 Offline

Posted: Feb. 05 2009, 12:16

Quote (Atrastorm @ Feb. 05 2009, 15:59)
Maya Gold is one of Mikes most beautiful moments on guitar and of course is played on the pink strat (I cant believe he sold it!;)

I agree  :)

--------------

Profile PM 
Sweetpea Offline

Posted: June 26 2009, 14:42

I've just kinda overdosed on "Maya Gold". After a long absence, I heard it again the other day and thought 'Hey, I'll put it on repeat today while dinking around the house'. I was really into it for the first seven or eight plays, then I started feeling trippy and lost track of time, and now half the day has gone. Another abstention may be in order.

* For those who may be unfamiliar with "dinking", I'm using its first meaning, not the second.

--------------
"I'm no physicist, but technically couldn't Mike both be with the horse and be flying through space at the same time? (On account of the earth's orbit around the Sun and all that). So it seems he never had to make the choice after all. I bet he's kicking himself now." - clotty
Profile PM 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: June 29 2009, 08:25

Wow.Never again will i need to buy any intoxicating substances.All i have to do is listen to Maya Gold on repeat.
Thank you Sweetpea you have saved my sanity!LOL.
Nice to see you back.BTW never even heard the word 'dinking'.Glad you pointed out it was the first meaning.I will remember the second though as it fif make me chuckle.

--------------
Profile PM 
65 replies since June 05 2006, 11:14 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (4) < 1 2 [3] 4 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net