Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Thank you Mr Mike Oldfield!, RTO is up there with the big 4< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Dartmoor Offline

Group: Members
Posted: April 23 2017, 15:39

Well, I waited a long time before posting about RTO. I just want to say thank you to Mike Oldfield. I've been a long time fan of his work and like a lot of people I like his early work the most. Tubular Bells, Hergest Ridge, Ommadawn and Incantations are my alltime favourite albums and I have all of the different versions on cd, vinyl and on my IPod.
When RTO came out I was very anxious and a little weary :). I started listening to part one and well...what can I say?
This felt like a homecoming!!! There are so many wonderful things about this album!!! The melodies, the guitar playing, the atmosphere,...
This is the Mike Oldfield music that I fell in love with long time ago. It is so great that he made this album!! This music sounds like the music he made around the time of TB, HR and Ommadawn.
I really hope he will return to HR and Incantations as well. Or even better: continue like this for some more albums. RTO is up there with the first four albums! Before anyone asks: I also like Amarok but that album is a little lower on my list than the first four albums and RTO :).

--------------
So if you feel a little glum
To Hergest Ridge you should come
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: Jan. 08 2018, 02:00

My copy of RTO arrived in the mail today, so I've only just finished listening to Part 1. I thought it was pretty terrific, actually - although there's a Tres Lunas-ish melody at the beginning that diverted my thoughts towards that rather than Ommadawn. If I wanted to describe in physical terms what listening to it is like, it's rather like an exhilarating glider flight down and up mountains - not that I've even been in a glider!
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: Jan. 09 2018, 03:02

I've just listened to Part 2, and all I can say is that this isn't Return to Ommadawn but Return to Amarok - only more so. Nothing I say can do it justice.
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: Jan. 18 2018, 05:44

Some weeks on and Part 2 is my favourite. Part 1 sounds as though it's actually preparing the listener for Part 2. And when I listen to Part 2 it always sounds somehow different.
Profile PM 
qjamesfloyd Offline

Posted: Jan. 18 2018, 07:23

I also love the whole album, but Part 2 is my favourite.

--------------
Please visit my Mark Knopfler/Dire Straits forum below:

https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/silvertown_blues/index.php
Profile PM WEB 
omgmo Offline

Posted: Mar. 24 2018, 20:46

I've listened several times to RTO lately, and what I think is that it's not bad at all. Actually, I view it as another addition to a long list of masterpieces!

Compared to the first Ommadawn, it sounds brighter and clearer.

So glad MO is still making great music. Spanning forty-four years with masterpieces is quite an achievement, isn't it?
Profile PM 
5 replies since April 23 2017, 15:39 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net