Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Terry Oldfield recommendations?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Holger Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Mar. 31 2012, 04:32

I never saw this coming, but I'm starting to dig Terry's music. The "Spiral Waves" demo that someone posted did the trick, and now I'm discovering more and more stuff on Youtube that I actually like.
Now, obviously his discography is vast and I'm a bit lost; I've already ordered "Spirit of the Rainforest" (the only one that I really knew previously, as I used to have a cassette copy of it years ago - I like the "non-melodic" (for lack of a better word) vibe that that one has going) and "Zen" (I've always had a thing for zen, and the samples on Amazon sounded nice). Still, I'd like to hear what everyone's favourites are and why.
Profile PM 
Holger Offline

Posted: April 12 2012, 07:51

Wow, the resonance is overwhelming. ;)

Never mind, I've already figured it out for myself: they're all great. My CDs finally arrived today, and it's great to hear Spirit of the Rainforest again after all this time (even if I didn't like it that much back then, but I sure like it now! ) Looking forward to Zen, too.
Profile PM 
oblique Offline

Posted: April 12 2012, 12:56

To tell you the truth i had completely forgotten that you asked us for some advise. I'm at work now but i'll dive in to it tomorrow.

--------------
"While we are alive we should sit among colored lights and taste good wines, and discuss our adventures in far places; when we are dead, the opportunity is past." - Jack Vance
Profile PM 
oblique Offline

Posted: April 13 2012, 06:54

Back again. Well, the albums you might choose depend entirely on your personal musical taste...
I'm the proud owner of the following:

- Star of heaven (christmas album with Sally Oldfield)
- Zen (japanese)
- Spirit of the rainforest (jungle sounds + native music)
- Spirit of africa (with drums of course, heavily recommended)
- Out of the depths De Profundis (with whale sounds + singing by Imogen Moore)
- Spirit of India (also heavily recommended)
- All the rivers gold (Irish music, also with vocals)
- Spirit of the world (all sorts of melodies from Aboriginal to Cambodian and Greek)

You see, it's not easy to choose from.
You already know a few of them and I could only tell you what my favorites are.
I hope this has helped you neverless, although a bit late  ;)

--------------
"While we are alive we should sit among colored lights and taste good wines, and discuss our adventures in far places; when we are dead, the opportunity is past." - Jack Vance
Profile PM 
Holger Offline

Posted: April 13 2012, 08:49

Quote (oblique @ April 13 2012, 12:54)
You see, it's not easy to choose from.
You already know a few of them and I could only tell you what my favorites are.
I hope this has helped you neverless, although a bit late  ;)

Absolutely, thanks a lot! I'm really digging Spirit of the Rainforest - the part with the tuned percussion in the second track particularly does it for me. Zen - I have to say that one reminded me very much of Kitaro and Vangelis. Which is not to say it is bad at all, as those two guys are also very good. I will admit that I found a few of the sampled flutes to sound a bit mechanical though.

Now, for your recommendations...

- Star of heaven (christmas album with Sally Oldfield)
I will need to check this one out for the reason that Sally is on it alone.

- Zen (japanese)
See above - I like it. Also I noticed that parts of it are more "lively" than anything I've heard from Terry so far, if that makes sense.

- Spirit of the rainforest (jungle sounds + native music)
See above - great stuff. I figured out that what I described as a "non-melodic" approach in the OP is actually due to it being based on a drone, something Mike has also experimented with quite a bit.

- Spirit of africa (with drums of course, heavily recommended)
I've heard parts of this on Youtube, and again, I like it very much. The part with the thumb piano in "March of a Thousand Days" is heavily reminiscent of the marimba parts in Incantations, only a bit "happier".

- Out of the depths De Profundis (with whale sounds + singing by Imogen Moore)
Again, heard parts of it on Youtube - really great stuff and I was surprised by the cool electronics, not something I'd expected from Terry.

- All the rivers gold (Irish music, also with vocals)
Haven't heard it yet, but have heard good things about it. Is this the one that features some of the same tunes that Mike used on Voyager?

- Spirit of the world (all sorts of melodies from Aboriginal to Cambodian and Greek)
Sounds great. I'm particularly interested in hearing something Greek from Terry, as I know that the original inspiration for his music came to him on the isle of Hydra - which I can relate to very much, as I'm also a huge graecophile ever since visiting Crete.

Again, thanks for the recs!
Profile PM 
Airborne Offline

Posted: April 13 2012, 10:46

Holger,

You should also get "In Search of the Trojan War". Long out of print as a BBC LP it can be downloaded cheaply (with samples available) from here:

In Search of the Trojan War

Worth it for "Helen's Song" alone.

Also try "Cascade", one of his early New World recordings, Terry actually gave me a cassette of this for which I'm very grateful.
Profile PM 
oblique Offline

Posted: April 13 2012, 14:16

I was gonna recommend Cascade as well for the same reason as Airborne.
(Without the cassette though  :/  )

--------------
Profile PM 
6 replies since Mar. 31 2012, 04:32 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net