Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Teidi/Teide< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
raven4x4x Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Feb. 08 2002, 03:55

I own the LP of Five Miles Out, with the childish dog on the back, and I noticed that on the track listing of the record it says "Mount Teide", but on the record itself it says "Mount Teidi". On my CD it's "Mount Teide". Which one is officially correct. NB: I always use "Mount Teide"

www.global.net.au/~holmangp

--------------
Thank-you for helping us help you help us all.
Profile PM 
Man In Rain Offline

Posted: Feb. 08 2002, 04:08

I guess the correct version is Teide. Mount Teide is a volcanic mountain at the centre of the island of Tenerife in the Canary Islands. At 3,718 m, it is the highest point on Spanish soil.
Profile PM 
Deadl()ck
Unregistered

Posted: Sep. 19 2002, 16:03

Hi folks!

On the Disky-CD (VI 863022) it is called "Mount Teidi"....

And on we go....  :)

Deadlock
Tokimemo Offline

Posted: Oct. 11 2002, 07:45

(From a Spanish Amarokian) Definitely it's Teide.
Profile PM 
Mike Chadwick Offline

Posted: Aug. 12 2003, 13:43

Mount teide is the right spelling

--------------
kik-eze kik-eze
Profile PM 
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: Aug. 12 2003, 20:03

Would anyone else like to confirm that Teide is the right one? ;)
Profile PM 
oblique Offline

Posted: Aug. 13 2003, 00:31

No, I'll skip this one.
Maybe next time  :D

--------------
"While we are alive we should sit among colored lights and taste good wines, and discuss our adventures in far places; when we are dead, the opportunity is past." - Jack Vance
Profile PM 
gevrey Offline

Posted: Dec. 23 2019, 09:34

Being there now, I confirm it's Teide (:
Profile PM WEB 
larstangmark Offline

Posted: Dec. 23 2019, 14:04

Depends if you mean the song or the mountain. Perhaps the mis-spelling was deliberate? Rick Wright invented his very own spelling for the mythological figure Sisyphos (called "sysyphus" on the Ummagumma LP).

--------------
"There are twelve people in the world, the rest are paste"
Mark E Smith
Profile PM WEB 
nightspore Offline

Posted: Dec. 23 2019, 17:43

Quote (larstangmark @ Dec. 23 2019, 14:04)
Depends if you mean the song or the mountain. Perhaps the mis-spelling was deliberate? Rick Wright invented his very own spelling for the mythological figure Sisyphos (called "sysyphus" on the Ummagumma LP).

And David "Gilmore" invented the deliberate misspelling of his name on the sleeve of A Saucerful of Secrets  :laugh: You're probably looking for significance where there is none. Typos occur all the time.
Profile PM 
Mi-D Offline

Posted: Dec. 24 2019, 10:00

Mr Oldfield, do you spell Teidi or Teide?
I´m not spell, I play.
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: Dec. 24 2019, 17:38

Quote (Mi-D @ Dec. 24 2019, 10:00)
Mr Oldfield, do you spell Teidi or Teide?
I´m not spell, I play.

It probably depends on whether he's Mike Oldfield or Michael Oldfield. According to a recent post they're different people.  :p
Profile PM 
larstangmark Offline

Posted: Dec. 25 2019, 05:52

Quote (nightspore @ Dec. 23 2019, 17:43)
Quote (larstangmark @ Dec. 23 2019, 14:04)

And David "Gilmore" invented the deliberate misspelling of his name on the sleeve of A Saucerful of Secrets  :laugh: You're probably looking for significance where there is none. Typos occur all the time.

I'm not so sure it's a typo. Rick could very well have spelled it wrong, thinking it's the right way to spell it. Or he thought he'd just changed the spelling for the hell of it, since everyone's forgotten about poor old Sisphpos by now. :D

--------------
"There are twelve people in the world, the rest are paste"
Mark E Smith
Profile PM WEB 
nightspore Offline

Posted: Dec. 25 2019, 06:04

I always thought "Sisyphos", or however it's spelt, was one of Pink Floyd's best tracks, along with "The Narrow Way". "Cymbaline" is another "misspelling" of course, if you take Shakespeare as canonical, which I don't. Completely irrelevant dig at Shakespeare: it's irritating that "crab" in his plays always refers to crab apples, and not the denizens of the deep we all love so much (Pinchy? . :D )
Profile PM 
omgmo Offline

Posted: Dec. 25 2019, 11:15

I have been thinking that, in general, the "generally accepted" spelling of many words is wrong, based on their meaning and possible true etymology. I have even thought that this has been intentional (by some "regulatory" "authorities" of language) in order for the naive speaker not to know what they really talk about, and, furthermore, not to be able to think productively and solve their everyday, simple, or more serious, problems.

BUT I DON'T REALLY KNOW
Just thoughts...

happy birthday, Lars
and happy Christmas to everyone
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: Dec. 25 2019, 17:13

I agree. You see words originally spelt with a "K" owing to their Greek origin ending up spelt with a "C" because of some Romanizing or whatever influence.

Yes, happy birthday Lars (or should that be "Larc" (lunate sigma) becoming "Lark"?  :laugh:

It's Boxing Day in Australia, and it should be compulsory for people to spend the entire day listening to Mike Oldfield Boxed  :D
Profile PM 
15 replies since Feb. 08 2002, 03:55 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net