Posted: Mar. 07 2008, 00:27

Young Mike

Click to enlarge image
Click to enlarge image
Profile PM 
Sweetpea Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Aug. 20 2008, 05:08

Aha! A bad-hair photo, at last. Though I'm betting he was decently coiffed before the photographer got his hands on him. 'Here, just let me fix a few stray strands...' Five minutes, four snips, and six shots of hairspray later, young & naive Mike was wondering 'What's this guy all giggly about??'

--------------
"I'm no physicist, but technically couldn't Mike both be with the horse and be flying through space at the same time? (On account of the earth's orbit around the Sun and all that). So it seems he never had to make the choice after all. I bet he's kicking himself now." - clotty
Profile PM 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: Aug. 20 2008, 07:44

Though not as bad a the later Oldfield Mullet.Now that was really criminally bad!

--------------
THE COMING OF THE GREAT WHITE HANDKERCHEIF IS NIGH.
Profile PM 
arron11196 Offline

Posted: Aug. 20 2008, 10:54

I dunno, that mullet kinda worked on him I think. Certain styles work with certain people... I know I can only really pull off short and make it look decent. Mike seems to get away with the mullet a lot easier than I would lol.  :D

--------------
Arron J Eagling

Everyone's interpretation is different, and everyone has a right to that opinion. There is no "right" one, I am adding this post to communicate my thoughts to share them with like-minded souls who will be able to comment in good nature.

(insert the last 5 mins of Crises here)
Profile PM 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: Aug. 20 2008, 11:55

True to a point.I look about 14 with short hair.Doesn't suit me at all.But the particular picture of Mr Oldfield's mullet i have in my is a truly awfull thing.There's 3 versions of the Oldfield mullet.
1)circa 1984.The proto mullet.Short on top,longish at the back.Can be seen on the Tricks Of The Light vid.
2)The Heavens Open era mullet.A much more extravagent affair.Much longer.Another thread this year has the very picture i have in my head.The sort of 'mean and moody Mike' look.He should have had a serious word with his advisor."Are you sure this is a good look?" "Oh yes Mike.....looks great (mmmffff hahahaha)"
3)The TBII era.Not as offensive as the above (he may have sacked his stylist by then)but a mullet non the less.

--------------
Profile PM 
moonchildhippy Offline

Posted: Aug. 20 2008, 18:01

Quote (The Caveman @ Aug. 20 2008, 11:44)
Though not as bad a the later Oldfield Mullet.Now that was really criminally bad!

If the Oldfield mullet was bad, check out these mullets WARNING!!!! The follwing image in the link  may cause you some distress
http://media.photobucket.com/image....pg?o=39

I happened to stumble across this as I was adding to my Myspace page, as I wanted to highlight the evils of child abuse/rape/domestic violence , and found that image filed under the "child abuse" category,  but I think any parent who has their  son's or  daughter's  hair cut like that is guilty of a form of child abuse. So terrible I can't describe in words how bad it is :O  :O  :O  :O  :O .

BTW if anyone wants to join me on Myspace my page is www/myspace.com/poppydanderfluff.  I had to re-invent myself on there due to some hassle.

--------------
I'm going slightly mad,
It finally happened, I'm slightly mad , just very slightly mad

If you feel a little glum to Hergest Ridge you should come.

I'm challenging  taboos surrounding mental health

"Part time hippy"

I'M SUPPORTING OUR SOLDIERS

BRING OUR TROOPS HOME NOW!!
Profile PM 
Scatterplot Offline

Posted: Aug. 20 2008, 19:57

Man, talk about Joe Dirt...... Seriously tho......that long haired MO look was "in" when I was in high school. And to be honest, I miss it. Everybody I see in my world(Texas), has a buzz cut now. What's up with that? I wanna look bald before my time?? Gimme back that Grand Funk look!!
Jimbo

--------------
We raise our voices in the night
Crying to heaven
And will our voices be heard
Or will they break Like the wind
Profile PM 
Tati The Sentinel Offline

Posted: Aug. 20 2008, 23:45

Mike cutie for me - from 1978 up to now...

--------------
"But it's always the outsider, the black sheep, that becomes the blockbuster." - Mike Oldfield, 2014

"I remember feeling that I'd been judged unfairly and that I was going to prove them wrong." - Peter Davison, 2011
Profile PM WEB 
arron11196 Offline

Posted: Aug. 21 2008, 07:03

Quote (The Caveman @ Aug. 20 2008, 16:55)
True to a point.I look about 14 with short hair.Doesn't suit me at all.But the particular picture of Mr Oldfield's mullet i have in my is a truly awfull thing.There's 3 versions of the Oldfield mullet.
1)circa 1984.The proto mullet.Short on top,longish at the back.Can be seen on the Tricks Of The Light vid.
2)The Heavens Open era mullet.A much more extravagent affair.Much longer.Another thread this year has the very picture i have in my head.The sort of 'mean and moody Mike' look.He should have had a serious word with his advisor."Are you sure this is a good look?" "Oh yes Mike.....looks great (mmmffff hahahaha)"
3)The TBII era.Not as offensive as the above (he may have sacked his stylist by then)but a mullet non the less.

Yeah, I was thinking TBII era. I mean, no one would get away with that these days unless they were trying to be on that breakfast show that mike plays Taurus III in the video of... the woman in that vid has hair problems :/

But I think Mike looked ok with the TBII haircut. I think it suits him in the pic inside the cover of TBII... him kinda angling his head back, as if blissed out to music. I dunno if that would have worked so well with say, the hair from TBIII.

--------------
Arron J Eagling

Everyone's interpretation is different, and everyone has a right to that opinion. There is no "right" one, I am adding this post to communicate my thoughts to share them with like-minded souls who will be able to comment in good nature.

(insert the last 5 mins of Crises here)
Profile PM 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: Aug. 21 2008, 07:59

God yes.The bleached thing!He had the bleached hair when i saw him live.We were a way back at the NEC but you could clearly see the hair.Stood out a mile.
I actually have the vid you're refering to on an ancient VHS tape recorded straight of the TV as it went out.There's bits in the peice that ended up on Amarok too.Blinding playing.I've tried (and failed)many times to work it all out.

--------------
Profile PM 
Sir Mustapha Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: Aug. 21 2008, 14:57

Quote (Scatterplot @ Aug. 20 2008, 19:57)
And to be honest, I miss it. Everybody I see in my world(Texas), has a buzz cut now. What's up with that? I wanna look bald before my time??

Well, you turn a weak spot into an advantage. :)

--------------
Check out http://ferniecanto.com.br for all my music, including my latest albums: Don't Stay in the City, Making Amends and Builders of Worlds.
Also check my Bandcamp page: http://ferniecanto.bandcamp.com
Profile PM WEB 
10 replies since Mar. 07 2008, 00:27 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net