Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: TBII first ever listen, TBII< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Dr Bogenbroom Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Aug. 01 2015, 03:33

Played this for the first time yesterday on the car stereo - liked it, but then played it twice more on headphones and it's getting better and better every time I hear it.
On first listen it seemed a little 'floaty', but it's subtleties are coming right through to me now. I especially love the voices he uses, but can't decide if I like TBI better. TBII is definitely a more in depth album - more layers etc.  

I must listen to Mike on headphones more.

--------------
Dancing the Entropy Tango
Profile PM 
qcfoetus Offline

Posted: Aug. 01 2015, 12:24

Couldn't agree more. Mike's music definitely deserves headphones. For me, part of the fun is tracking the themes and subthemes that are repeated in or interlaced with the music (often played in the background on some backing instrument). Wouldn't dream of trying to do that in a car! I remember being introduced to Heaven's Open in the middle of traffic... on a hot muggy day with all windows down (no air conditioning)... on a cassette deck (this was 1991). Didn't like the album. Go figure why!!!
Profile PM 
AwayWeGo Offline

Posted: Aug. 05 2015, 17:46

I first heard Tubular Bells II laying on my back on my floor with headphones. It was a cloudy day, so it was dark and cool inside. I closed my eyes and just took in the soundscape. My first thought was "everyone needs to hear this music." I gave a younger sibling a copy, and played it for various friends. So far I don't think people appreciate it like I do, but such is the story of my Mike Oldfield fandom. xD Anyway, glad you like the record. It truly is a masterpiece.
Profile PM 
qjamesfloyd Offline

Posted: Aug. 07 2015, 07:08

I first heard TB11 in a car too, and this was at the time when the only Mike Oldfield music I had heard was TB, and Moonlight Shadow, and hearing TB11 I was hooked on Mike, and had to buy it all, so TB11 is a very special album for me.
Profile PM 
Dr Bogenbroom Offline

Posted: Aug. 09 2015, 04:53

It's definitely special. Not sure if TBIII is going to be as loved.

--------------
Profile PM 
qjamesfloyd Offline

Posted: Aug. 10 2015, 04:36

TB111 for me doesn't work as well as the previous Tubular albums, but it does have some good moments.
Profile PM 
AwayWeGo Offline

Posted: Aug. 11 2015, 03:44

Quote (qjamesfloyd @ Aug. 10 2015, 04:36)
TB111 for me doesn't work as well as the previous Tubular albums, but it does have some good moments.

Despite the fact that technically only Mike Oldfield holds the true discretion about what is and isn't "Tubular Bells," I have to agree that TB III doesn't work nearly as well as II and 1. I would even go so far as to say that I never really thought of it as a TB album at all, and that I don't really think it has an appropriate title for what it actually is. Simple marketing? Perhaps. Add that to the fact that it was released so soon after its predecessor compared to Tubular Bells II, and you have an album which many would consider less special.
Profile PM 
Dr Bogenbroom Offline

Posted: Sep. 29 2015, 10:54

After some time I've revised my opinion if TBII. On the whole it seems to be TB just reshuffled. This, of course, does not make it a bad album, but having heard TBIII now, this sense of the album seems to be coming to me. I actually love TBIII much more than TBII.

--------------
Profile PM 
AwayWeGo Offline

Posted: Oct. 10 2015, 20:40

Quote (Dr Bogenbroom @ Sep. 29 2015, 10:54)
After some time I've revised my opinion if TBII. On the whole it seems to be TB just reshuffled. This, of course, does not make it a bad album, but having heard TBIII now, this sense of the album seems to be coming to me. I actually love TBIII much more than TBII.

I've recently come to appreciate III as an album much more. I think II and III are meant for different purposes; III is the sort you would play on nice speakers at a club as an electronic, albiet well-made, record, whereas II is meant to be more of an artistic, melodic work of great composition meant to be appreciated on its own while paying great respect to the original. TB and TB II are much more alike than III is to the others.
Profile PM 
Dr Bogenbroom Offline

Posted: Oct. 11 2015, 07:59

Quote (AwayWeGo @ Oct. 10 2015, 20:40)
Quote (Dr Bogenbroom @ Sep. 29 2015, 10:54)

I've recently come to appreciate III as an album much more. I think II and III are meant for different purposes; III is the sort you would play on nice speakers at a club as an electronic, albiet well-made, record, whereas II is meant to be more of an artistic, melodic work of great composition meant to be appreciated on its own while paying great respect to the original. TB and TB II are much more alike than III is to the others.

They are alike, but I suppose if it was called Tubular Bells: The Remix, we wouldn't be expecting something so different and would just accept it as a variation on a theme.
I am quite happy listening to TBII but do see it as essentially TB remixed.

--------------
Profile PM 
Jesse Offline

Posted: Jan. 11 2017, 08:29

uh remixed? no man, the atmosphere and feeling is completely the opposite of TB1. It's like dark vs light (light and shade xD)
Profile PM 
larstangmark Offline

Posted: Jan. 12 2017, 03:30

It was almost 25 years ago I heard TBII for the first time. To me it was as if someone had photoshoped a photo of an old girlfriend to make her look better. Couldn't stand it.

Admittedly, the production is amazing. But the only part of the album that stands on it own as a composition is Sentinel - a suggestive and hypnotic piece where Trevor horns production actually makes sense. Apart from that I think too much of the album sounds like generic pieces of library music. I know TB 1 can be heard that way too, but the "pro" production of TBII makes this painfully evident. The bagpipe part on side 2 is just kitsch to me. And the caveman bit is cartoonish as opposed to bizarre.

I know this album divides the fan base. It's a milestone for sure. Many ppls fandom ends here, but for many it's the start of a "golden" era.

--------------
"There are twelve people in the world, the rest are paste"
Mark E Smith
Profile PM WEB 
Jesse Offline

Posted: Jan. 12 2017, 04:54

yep it's definitely the start of a small golden era with TB2, TSODE, Voyager and TB3. Then that period ended :P

First time listening....hated it! I hated it for two years. Could not stand that it was like TB1 so much. Watching the dvd and seeing Mike's emotions changed it for me.
Profile PM 
12 replies since Aug. 01 2015, 03:33 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net