Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (10) < ... 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: TB4 announced with multitrack mixing and VR player< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Piltdownboy on horseback 22 Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Jan. 22 2021, 16:07

I've been following this thread with considerable interest for some time! Very nice to come back occasionally to this site. I was quite active at this site some 15 years ago. I've come back because I'd like to be kept up to date when new activities will arise. I'm hoping it will be soon. Return to Ommadawn was a beautiful album and I'm hoping it's not going to be the last thing Mike has ever done. The long silence is concerning me somewhat, but I'm hopeful that there'll be some new activities anounced sometime soon! Greetings, Stefan, The Netherlands.

--------------
"And now we're going to play Platinum!"
Profile PM 
The Watcher Offline

Posted: Jan. 23 2021, 14:07

Hey All,

What's up with this?

https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/forums....t.29786
Profile PM 
qjamesfloyd Offline

Posted: Jan. 25 2021, 04:30

Good to have you back Stefan.

As regards the 50th Tubular Bells live thing, that is weird, seeing as the 50th is years away!!! I doubt this has anything to do with Mike.

The silence from Mike is still strange to me, nothing really for the past 4 years!!!!
Profile PM 
shenry Offline

Posted: Jan. 25 2021, 06:20

There is more info now on the Facebook event page for the Tubular Bells 50th anniversary. Sounds intriguing - an official event definitely, and with Mike's blessing, but not directly involving Mike in concert which was probably too much to hope for....

Admin, maybe there should be a new News thread added for this event? Seems pretty  big, at least the biggest thing in the Oldfield world since RTO anyway.

From the Facebook page:

"MIKE OLDFIELD’S
TUBULAR BELLS
LIVE IN CONCERT
SEASON OF PERFORMANCES AT
SOUTHBANK CENTRE’S
ROYAL FESTIVAL HALL, LONDON
AUGUST 7th – 15th 2021
EXPERIENCE THE ALBUM LIKE NEVER BEFORE
Conducted by Mike Oldfield collaborator
Robin A. Smith
Visual performance by Circa Contemporary Circus
Directed by Yaron Lifschitz
Designed by William Reynolds
Tickets On-Sale:
Pre-Sale: Wednesday 27th January
General Sale: Friday 29th January
Mike Oldfield’s iconic magnum opus, Tubular Bells, will be performed live at the Southbank Centre’s Royal Festival Hall in London this summer, in a season of unique performances that are a prelude to the celebration of the masterpiece’s 50th anniversary in 2023.
Starting August 7th through to August 15th, Tubular Bells – Live In Concert, will feature musical direction from Oldfield’s long-time collaborator Robin A. Smith, with the album performed by an expansive live group. The show will be fully seated.
Robin A. Smith has collaborated with Mike Oldfield for three decades including the iconic performances of Tubular Bells at Edinburgh Castle in 1992, and at the 2012 London Olympic Opening Ceremony.
The music will also be brought to life with a visual interpretation by the world-renowned Circa Contemporary Circus, who, led by Artistic Director Yaron Lifschitz, have previously animated works by some of the most well-known composers in history including Stravinsky and Mozart, with their intricately woven acrobatics. A bold new scenic design will be created for the production by William Reynolds.
On the special season at the Southbank Centre’s Royal Festival Hall, Mike Oldfield reflects:
“It’s amazing to think that it’s 50 years since I started writing Tubular Bells, and I am touched that my music has reached so many people, all over the world, during that time.
I have worked with Robin A Smith for almost 30 years, since we presented Tubular Bells together at Edinburgh Castle, through lots of different performances and recordings culminating in the London Olympics in 2012. When I started thinking about reinventing Tubular Bells for live performance with dancers and acrobats—and of course live music, it was Robin who I knew could realise this vision. I am thrilled that this is finally coming to the stage and I trust no-one more to reimagine my work in this way.
I am sure that the 50th anniversary live concert experience of Tubular Bells will be spectacular, theatrical, fantastical and thrilling. I’m so excited it is premiering in 2021, marking 50 years from when I started writing the music and will be touring the world through to 2023, the 50th anniversary of the original album release”.
Tickets available at ticketmaster.co.uk / southbankcentre.co.uk"
Profile PM 
qjamesfloyd Offline

Posted: Jan. 26 2021, 02:13

Yes, you can read about it here too:

Tubular Bells Live

So, it seems Mike is involved in some way, but it doesn't mention him performing, however, I have a feeling he will perform at maybe a couple of shows, well, fingers crossed. It seems like it will be a touring show, and it is leading up to the 50th anniversary. With the 50th being over 2 years away this is strange, but I get that Mike says it will mark the start of him composing the piece. It is good to finally have some news from Mike.
Profile PM 
shenry Offline

Posted: Jan. 26 2021, 08:31

Well I have to say I think you are being a bit optimistic in thinking Mike might perform! Going by the pattern of the last few years, it seems very unlikely, but I hope you're right.
Profile PM 
qjamesfloyd Offline

Posted: Jan. 27 2021, 06:32

I agree, it is optimistic, however, I never thought that shy Mike Oldfield would ever perform to the entire world at the 2012 Olympics, but he did, so who knows.

I think this could do with it's own thread if there are any moderators about as this thread is really about Tubular Bells4
Profile PM 
First_Excursion Offline

Posted: Jan. 27 2021, 07:09

Difficult to imagine Mike collaborating with a band to that extent any more and I can't say I blame him. Thankfully some great memories and recordings around from the days when he did.

It *is* indeed nice to hear from Mike and in clearly positive spirits about the project.

We should just make a new thread.  :D
Profile PM 
oldfield_fan Offline

Posted: Mar. 24 2021, 19:50

Do you think there's a chance that TB4 will launch in time for The Exorcist sequel and be used as soundtrack?
Profile PM 
qjamesfloyd Offline

Posted: Mar. 25 2021, 02:51

There is no news about if Mike is still making TB4 There is no news about him making any music, so who knows.
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: Mar. 26 2021, 23:02

It occurred to me that Mike may be waiting for Elon to put a man on Mars before releasing TB4 (I'm not being funny - for once). Mars is the 4th planet, and Musk is still talking about a man on Mars in 2024. That would be only 7 years since RTO, and artists like the Moody Blues and Pink Floyd think nothing of such time intervals.

Tubular Bells 4 for the 4th planet - it has a good sound to it.
Profile PM 
Platinumpty Offline

Posted: April 02 2021, 15:39

Quote (nightspore @ Mar. 26 2021, 23:02)
It occurred to me that Mike may be waiting for Elon to put a man on Mars before releasing TB4 (I'm not being funny - for once). Mars is the 4th planet, and Musk is still talking about a man on Mars in 2024. That would be only 7 years since RTO, and artists like the Moody Blues and Pink Floyd think nothing of such time intervals.

Tubular Bells 4 for the 4th planet - it has a good sound to it.

I’d buy a suite based on The Martian Chronicles, as a sort of TSODE sequel.
Profile PM WEB 
nightspore Offline

Posted: April 08 2021, 07:41

Yes, that would be great. There are some aspects of the Bradbury stories I'd hope he'd leave out - like cottages on Mars and endless reminiscing about drinking lemonade on hot summer days. (I remember someone did a sendup of Bradbury - I think it was by Robert F Young in his Worlds of SF short story collection. It was about Martians going to Earth and, yes, they reminisce about drinking lemonade on Marian porches too.) But the "Dark they were and Golden Eyed" feel would seem to be ideal for Mike, as would the mood of stories like "The Million Year Picnic".
Profile PM 
seventeen64 Offline

Posted: Sep. 06 2021, 19:30

Anything new about this? I'm really interested to see where Mike takes us with a final visit to the bells concept. I hope it comes to fruition.

--------------
life is not one-dimensional
Profile PM 
qjamesfloyd Offline

Posted: Sep. 07 2021, 02:35

No news on TB4 I'm afraid, in fact there is no news from Mike at all, he has been so silent over the last 4 years, which is a shame. I was hope they would continue with the deluxe album re-issues, as I was looking forward to The Wind Chimes in 5.1 but this all seems to have stopped too.
Profile PM 
Mi-D Offline

Posted: Sep. 07 2021, 12:33

I see that Abba is back with a new album after a 40 year hiatus.
Maybe Mike will do the same and return in 2057.
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: Sep. 07 2021, 20:35

Quote (Mi-D @ Sep. 07 2021, 12:33)
I see that Abba is back with a new album after a 40 year hiatus.
Maybe Mike will do the same and return in 2057.

What - as a member of Abba?  :laugh:
Profile PM 
qjamesfloyd Offline

Posted: Jan. 06 2022, 05:25

2022 now, and still nothing from Mike :/
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: Jan. 06 2022, 20:47

Perhaps he's in lockdown in the Bahamas  :O
Profile PM 
qjamesfloyd Offline

Posted: Jan. 10 2022, 02:43

Lockdown is nothing new to Mike, he has always preferred being on his own.
Profile PM 
180 replies since Jan. 03 2017, 17:11 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (10) < ... 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net