Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (10) < 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 ... >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: TB4 announced with multitrack mixing and VR player< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
nightspore Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Dec. 10 2019, 06:16

Quote (omgmo @ Dec. 09 2019, 22:13)
And I think no exposure can match his talent.

"Music from the Balcony" probably says it all in musical terms: on high there's the transcendent music (particularly that 10 piano note sequence I remarked on years ago) while down below monkeys chatter a la the humans in Planet of the Apes, and aren't interested.
Profile PM 
qjamesfloyd Offline

Posted: Jan. 16 2020, 08:08

It's been over 3 years now since we heard from Mike!!! :O  What is going on?
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: Jan. 16 2020, 18:31

Perhaps he's tired of releasing music under his own name, given audience expectations. Perhaps he's releasing music that pleases him under pseudonyms.
Profile PM 
redheat Offline

Posted: Jan. 17 2020, 19:13

Quote (nightspore @ Jan. 16 2020, 18:31)
Perhaps he's tired of releasing music under his own name, given audience expectations. Perhaps he's releasing music that pleases him under pseudonyms.

That is a reasonable possibility

--------------
http://Eindhoven.space
Profile PM 
First_Excursion Offline

Posted: Jan. 20 2020, 08:01

Seems highly unlikely to me. Think if Mike had something ready he'd be selling it under his own name, expectations never stopped him doing his own thing before.

I hope he spends the next 5 years working on TB4 and comes out with something that surprises everyone!
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: Jan. 20 2020, 18:56

Quote (First_Excursion @ Jan. 20 2020, 08:01)
Seems highly unlikely to me. Think if Mike had something ready he'd be selling it under his own name, expectations never stopped him doing his own thing before.

I hope he spends the next 5 years working on TB4 and comes out with something that surprises everyone!

Poor Mike... you want him to spend 5 more years working on TB4? That implies certain aspects of it wouldn't please him, and it would take 5 years to get it right!!  :O  :laugh:
Profile PM 
omgmo Offline

Posted: Jan. 20 2020, 22:43

I can't understand what's wrong with giving yourself a break for... for many years anyway, especially when you are the greatest musician on Earth (to say the least) and you have dozens of albums behind you. :D
Profile PM 
omgmo Offline

Posted: Jan. 20 2020, 22:46

Also TB4 looks like TBA, which, as we all know, stands for To Be Announced...

An album always in the status of "to be announced". :laugh:
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: Jan. 21 2020, 05:48

Quote (omgmo @ Jan. 20 2020, 22:46)
Also TB4 looks like TBA, which, as we all know, stands for To Be Announced...

An album always in the status of "to be announced". :laugh:

That's very witty, actually - up there with the time someone here - it could have been Alan D or Ghost Mojo - demonstrated that if you rotate the tubular bell logo you get the number 4. Perhaps Mike can't decide whether he prefers that piece of visual wit or the one you've just made!

Speaking of cryptic stuff, and given Mike's fondness for Morse Code, I wonder if he's ever encoded the Morse Code rhythm for "TB"  - DAH  DAH-da-da-da - into music. I'll have to be alert for that. The Morse code for "B" of course is the reverse of that for "V". Just as well Churchill wasn't dyslexic (as far as I know).
Profile PM 
omgmo Offline

Posted: Jan. 21 2020, 09:58

I am certain, nightspore, that you could have thought of this before me. You are used in thinking this way, after all.
Perhaps your thirst for new oldfieldian music just didn't let you. :)

Now, for the Morse thing, all you have to do is keep listening...  :laugh:
Profile PM 
First_Excursion Offline

Posted: Jan. 31 2020, 06:44

Quote (nightspore @ Jan. 20 2020, 18:56)
you want him to spend 5 more years working on TB4?

yes
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: Jan. 31 2020, 18:54

Why not go the "whole hog" and stand over him with a whip?  :laugh:
Profile PM 
First_Excursion Offline

Posted: Feb. 01 2020, 08:22

I mean take his time and work on it when he's feeling inspired. Leave it alone when he's not. I realise he is semi retired. Hell, possibly fully retired.

Hopefully he's quietly chipping away in the background at something that contains some real gems, I think he's still got it in him.
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: Feb. 01 2020, 18:04

I imagine after seeing the indifference to Amarok he'd realise that people are a troop/barrel/carload/cartload/tribe of monkeys (witness all the monkey cries heard from the balcony in "Music from the Balcony") and it's not worthwhile presenting his music to them. He probably has a select few enthusiasts and shares his music with them. Perhaps people on this very forum are in the purple circle and know to "keep mum"!  :cool:
Profile PM 
First_Excursion Offline

Posted: Feb. 02 2020, 22:35

Huh? Amarok is generally considered one Mike's best albums.
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: Feb. 03 2020, 06:16

Such disingenuousness... I'm talking about sales, as you well know.
Profile PM 
qjamesfloyd Offline

Posted: Feb. 03 2020, 07:20

Maybe we should try contacting Universal? or his management.
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: Feb. 03 2020, 18:07

There's another point. Years ago there was persistent talk - initiated, I think,by Ugo, this forum's number 1 contributor (although silent for a long time) that Mike "likes" the number 3 but not the number 4. I even remember a comment purporting to report from Mike the notion that there's no way he would ever do a Tubular Bells 4.

Incidentally, if my interpretation of the Tubular Bells idea (mentioned elsewhere on this forum) is correct - ie, that each Tubular Bells album is about a particular chakra (so that TB 1 is the Root Chakra, TB2 is the Sacral etc) then TB 4 would be the heart chakra. Maybe something about love would be too gooey for Mike.
Profile PM 
qjamesfloyd Offline

Posted: Feb. 10 2020, 04:44

However, Mike did state he was working on TB4 and there was a website for it, which has since been taken down. I am sure he is still working on it, but I still don't know why he has been silent for so long!!
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: Feb. 10 2020, 06:21

Well, a lot of little reasons for the non-appearance of TB4 have been advanced. Perhaps none of them is sufficient in itself but together they add up to one overarching reason.
Profile PM 
180 replies since Jan. 03 2017, 17:11 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (10) < 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 ... >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net