Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (2) < [1] 2 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: TB on the Radcliffe & Maconie show< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: May 27 2009, 06:47

BBC Radio 2's Radcliffe & Maconie show played the new single version of Tubular Bells yesterday. A short discussion of the re-release follows.

You can listen to it for the next 6 days on iPlayer (it comes at about 27 minutes in).

Thanks, Taurus Outcast
Profile PM 
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: May 27 2009, 06:48

Not exactly a subtle piece of editing, is it?
Profile PM 
Tati The Sentinel Offline

Group: Members
Posted: May 27 2009, 07:04

The promo I've got starts and finishes with the classic piano riff,with other pieces from part 1 together,edited in a strange way...maybe it can be the very same edit from the promo...

--------------
"But it's always the outsider, the black sheep, that becomes the blockbuster." - Mike Oldfield, 2014

"I remember feeling that I'd been judged unfairly and that I was going to prove them wrong." - Peter Davison, 2011
Profile PM WEB 
Taurus Outcast Offline

Posted: May 27 2009, 07:12

Quote (Korgscrew @ May 27 2009, 06:48)
Not exactly a subtle piece of editing, is it?

i was going to say, sounds like they've let the kids at mercury have a cut & paste session with it!

perhaps the aim is to get people to hear other experts from the entire piece rather than just the opening piano sequence that everyone knows.....
Profile PM 
yanouch65 Offline

Posted: May 27 2009, 08:04

Quote (Korgscrew @ May 27 2009, 12:47)
UK residents can listen on iPlayer (it comes at about 27 minutes in).

Not only UK residents...

It works in Switzerland as well

;)

--------------
Ray said : "it is a shame you don't play"

manintherain said: "You´d better ask Mr. Y who was first"

yanouch65 says: "I am in love with Scotland"
Profile PM 
Nacho Offline

Posted: May 27 2009, 16:45

I think this edit is not so strange!
It reminds me the edit from 1973 in the US market, that was released under the title The Exorcist theme. The promo Tati bought has also this title.
Profile PM 
Bassman Offline

Posted: May 27 2009, 19:45

You're exactly right, Nacho.  It is the same single remix that appeared in North America in 1973.  Nothing "strange" about it.

With all due respect to Korg's opinion, I find the edits flow very smoothly and in a very natural way.  The edits themselves were aided by very subtle (just a few frames) crossfading and corresponding volume levels were nicely matched.  It easily gives the novice listener the impression that the "song" was deliberately conceived and performed this way.  It has an intro, cooks along nicely, builds to a climax, then returns to the intro for the fadeout.  It provided the blueprint for the single mixes of the "Ommadawn" single, "Sentinel", "Far Above The Clouds" and the TB 2003 "Introduction".

I am inclined to wonder just how others would have edited the piece for radioplay, given the limitations of 1973-era equipment.  I cannot imagine a better calling card for MO's first excursion into radio.

--------------
Turn up the music... Hi as Fi can go.
Profile PM 
Blue Dolphin Offline

Posted: May 30 2009, 06:37

IMHO, in the beginning the edits go rather smoothly, but later on (especially around "fast guitars" and "basses") they are not very subtle indeed. It's kinda annoying to me, especially when they return to the piano intro!

I'm sorry to say that I haven't got any 7" singles of the Exorcist release, so I've never heard this edit. I always thought they just used the intro of the album mix, so I never bothered to buy one! I'm going to do now!

What I'd like to know if this edit is also going to be in the upcoming releases? I own a copy of the 7" Froggy-went-a-courting with the TB part 2 remix, and that remix is going to be in the ultimate edition.

--------------
-The mark of a good musician is to play one note and mean it-

Mike Oldfield - 1980
Profile PM 
Nacho Offline

Posted: May 30 2009, 07:15

This edit will not show in the future re-releases. It's only in the "retro" cd single promo. In the inside foldcover it states clearly

Tubular Bells 3.16 (original theme from The Exorcist)
Released in the USA as Virgin/Atlantic Records VR-55100 in 1973.
Profile PM 
Blue Dolphin Offline

Posted: May 31 2009, 16:01

Quote (Nacho @ May 30 2009, 13:15)
This edit will not show in the future re-releases. It's only in the "retro" cd single promo. In the inside foldcover it states clearly

Tubular Bells 3.16 (original theme from The Exorcist)
Released in the USA as Virgin/Atlantic Records VR-55100 in 1973.

And you're referring to that promo Tati bought lately on ebay I pressume?

--------------

Mike Oldfield - 1980
Profile PM 
leesonar Offline

Posted: June 01 2009, 05:23

Here we go Mike Oldfield Tubular Bells new stereo mix 2009 hit's ebay. Part one 26.01, Part two 23.14, mike oldfield single 3.56, sailor's hornpipe 2.47. £77 pound at the moment finishes at 21:22 tonight.     http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Mike-Ol....4%3A50. not long to wait now. :D
Profile PM 
leesonar Offline

Posted: June 01 2009, 05:25

ebay uk... link don't want to work soz.
Profile PM 
bee Offline

Posted: June 04 2009, 18:13

heard on tonight's show that they hope to interview Mike on the reissue of Tubular Bells sometime in the next two weeks
...can listen again on the I player thing at around 1:37 -here-

--------------
....second to the right and straight on till morning....

You heard me before
Yet you hear me again
Then I die
Till I call me again
Profile PM 
bee Offline

Posted: June 04 2009, 18:14

try this!

--------------
....second to the right and straight on till morning....

You heard me before
Yet you hear me again
Then I die
Till I call me again
Profile PM 
HuanCry Offline

Posted: June 11 2009, 17:12

Mike on BBC Radio 2's Johnnie Walker's 'Sounds of the 70s' show this Sunday at 3pm:-

Johnnie Walker

:)
Profile PM 

Posted: June 12 2009, 00:11

Quote (HuanCry @ June 11 2009, 18:12)
Mike on BBC Radio 2's Johnnie Walker's 'Sounds of the 70s' show this Sunday at 3pm:-

Johnnie Walker

:)

Sounds nice!

--------------
"But it's always the outsider, the black sheep, that becomes the blockbuster." - Mike Oldfield, 2014

"I remember feeling that I'd been judged unfairly and that I was going to prove them wrong." - Peter Davison, 2011
Profile PM WEB 

Posted: June 12 2009, 00:44

Quote (bee @ June 04 2009, 19:13)
heard on tonight's show that they hope to interview Mike on the reissue of Tubular Bells sometime in the next two weeks
...can listen again on the I player thing at around 1:37<a href="www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00kr5xzs">-here-</a>

It will be on June 23rd,just seen on their website !

And don't forget to record both interviews,since it's hard to catch it during the day!

--------------

Profile PM WEB 
Blue Dolphin Offline

Posted: June 12 2009, 16:35

I'm confused? Next Sunday (June 14) Mike will be interviewed, and do I understand there will be another interview on June 23? Could you give a direct link, Tati?

Anyways, I will record the interview next sunday! We've got a digital decoder nowadays, and we can receive like 200 radio stations from all over the world!

--------------

Mike Oldfield - 1980
Profile PM 
HuanCry Offline

Posted: June 12 2009, 17:37

Correct Blue Dolphin ...there are two interviews on those dates i.e. two different shows :-

To listen live to Sunday's show 3pm to 5pm GMT click the listen live button ...top right-hand corner on the Johnnie Walker page ( link above )

Like-wise for the other show at 8pm to 10pm Tuesday 23rd June ...Direct link : Radcliffe & Maconie Show

BBC RADIO 2 Shows are archived for 7 days though I think their I-Player is restricted to UK listeners
Profile PM 
Blue Dolphin Offline

Posted: June 13 2009, 18:34

Quote (HuanCry @ June 12 2009, 23:37)
Correct Blue Dolphin ...there are two interviews on those dates i.e. two different shows :-

To listen live to Sunday's show 3pm to 5pm GMT click the listen live button ...top right-hand corner on the Johnnie Walker page ( link above )

Like-wise for the other show at 8pm to 10pm Tuesday 23rd June ...Direct link : Radcliffe & Maconie Show

BBC RADIO 2 Shows are archived for 7 days though I think their I-Player is restricted to UK listeners

Thanks HuanCry!!

Like I said, I finally can receive BBC Radio 2 here on my digital TV decoder, so I can record the whole thing and don't need the live internet player, but thanks anyway! :)

--------------

Mike Oldfield - 1980
Profile PM 
21 replies since May 27 2009, 06:47 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (2) < [1] 2 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net