Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (4) < 1 2 [3] 4 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: TB demos, Ommadawn 5.1 in 2004, TubeWorld for Xmas< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
oblique Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Sep. 17 2003, 14:13

Low on ideas?
Easy money?
Both?

--------------
"While we are alive we should sit among colored lights and taste good wines, and discuss our adventures in far places; when we are dead, the opportunity is past." - Jack Vance
Profile PM 
The Warlock
Unregistered

Posted: Sep. 18 2003, 13:16

Quote (jael @ Sep. 17 2003, 14:13)
Low on ideas?
Easy money?
Both?

Low on ideas?
Easy money?
Both?

Yes, I´m afraid. Both, and some more. :/

...but, being in the forum where we are, the best idea is try not to list more reasons or we´ll be expulsed from paradise. ;)

Regards
oblique Offline

Posted: Sep. 18 2003, 16:28

Oh, but I'm not afraid to say I love Mike for the original music he's given us, not for the way we're being treated.

--------------
"While we are alive we should sit among colored lights and taste good wines, and discuss our adventures in far places; when we are dead, the opportunity is past." - Jack Vance
Profile PM 
Duncan Offline

Posted: Sep. 18 2003, 16:52

Oh Stop whinging!!

you all sound like a bunch of sad anoraks scared of new technology.

A new mix of Ommadawn which will bring even more to the enjoyment of the album is to be welcomed.
Profile PM 
oblique Offline

Posted: Sep. 18 2003, 17:22

Right, be happy with your newly brushed 28 year old album.

I want to hear NEW music.

--------------
Profile PM 
TOBY Offline

Posted: Sep. 18 2003, 19:45

It depends on how much of a gimmick you consider the idea of 5.1 sound to be? Personaly I think its just yet another way of them selling us music we already own. I mean how many remastered, quad mixed, re-recorded, 5.1 mixed versions of TB can they get away with doing? Its what else they include in the Ommadawn 5.1 package that interests me. We're getting (supposedly) the original TB demos with TB2003 5.1 and very welcome they are too, I'm very much looking forward to hearing them at last. So what are we going to get with Ommadawn 5.1 that won't make it an utter rip off for the vast majority of 'completest' fans who will go out there and buy it even though they don't own 5.1?

Maybe 5.1 is the future of music listening but I thought I loved Ommadawn the way it was.  I'll happily swallow my words if I'm wrong but having said that I have absolutely no plans whatsoever to go out and buy a 5.1 sound system so perhaps I'll never know.
Profile PM 
The Warlock
Unregistered

Posted: Sep. 19 2003, 07:55

Quote (Duncan @ Sep. 18 2003, 16:52)
Oh Stop whinging!!

you all sound like a bunch of sad anoraks scared of new technology.

A new mix of Ommadawn which will bring even more to the enjoyment of the album is to be welcomed.

Really?? :/

A new (another one, rather) mix of Ommadawn, this time with the drums in your back, the guitars in your front, the voices going in circles, etc.... will make the album better....and must be welcomed???

I want to hear NEW music.

YES! :(

Regards
SCprogfan
Unregistered

Posted: Sep. 19 2003, 09:46

5.1 is good for some, but right now I'm just interested in higher resolution stereo.  Re-releases in DVD-A could accommodate both, with room for videos and other on-screen goodies.
Duncan Offline

Posted: Sep. 20 2003, 19:01

What a surprise - those who "fear" the 5.1 mixes are those who dont have the equipment, instead they scoff about guitars and drums whizzing around the listeners head.

I'm looking forward to the 5.1 Ommadawn because I love the album, and with an enthusiastic Mike doing the mix I'm sure it will sound superb.  Anyone who has heard the 5.1 mix of Dark Side Of The Moon will realise how good such mixes can sound when done by someone sympathetic to the music and with the participation of the original musicians.  With Mike doing the mix himself, we will surely have a treat to look forward to.

The spec of both SACD and DVDA allows a proper hi res stereo mix to be included as well, so those who want that will be happy as well.

I also want new music, but I'm also commercially realistic, and more than happy to wait however long it takes for Mike to deliver.  If he gets inspiration from mixing Ommadawn into 5.1 then terrific.

Personally I'd like him to mix his whole back catalogue into 5.1
Profile PM 
qjamesfloyd Offline

Posted: Sep. 21 2003, 08:27

Exactly,i have 5.1 at home and it's wonderful for both movies and music/concerts,once you hear 5.1 there is no going back,it's so much better than 2 speaker stereo,also this talk about buying no equipment to here music!!!!,umm,hello,i remember a time when there was this new thing coming in called CD!!,which meant buying new equipment,but i bet every person here has a CD player,and pobably replaced old records and tapes to CD,so why is 5.1 any different?
Profile PM 
Blue Dolphin Offline

Posted: Sep. 21 2003, 09:25

music still sounds the best in stereo

--------------
-The mark of a good musician is to play one note and mean it-

Mike Oldfield - 1980
Profile PM 
Duncan Offline

Posted: Sep. 21 2003, 15:10

I dont see how you can make such a sweeping generalisation, and how much 5,1 material have you listened to?

I suspect when stereo first appeared, you'd have made a comment about mono.

I like a good stereo mix and a good 5.1 mix - thats the important thing - the skill of the mix.  Someone twiddling a joystick can botch up either, whereas a skillfull mixer can do wonderful things.
Profile PM 
Blue Dolphin Offline

Posted: Sep. 21 2003, 15:43

5.1 can be nice (for movies), but I still think stereo sounds better for music. I have a 5.1 system.

It's a bit irritating, hearing all this sound around you. It's unnatural.

What do you have in the future? A 7.1 system? It's just another way of picking money out of people's pocket.

--------------

Mike Oldfield - 1980
Profile PM 
qjamesfloyd Offline

Posted: Sep. 21 2003, 15:47

unatural?your ears can hear sounds in all 360 degrees,not just from in front of you,what's unatural about that!!!!
Profile PM 
Blue Dolphin Offline

Posted: Sep. 21 2003, 15:49

just like Mike described onces... like something is hunting on you, from somewhere. Oke, it's not unnatural, but can be bloody irritating.

For me, this discussing is over.

--------------

Mike Oldfield - 1980
Profile PM 
qjamesfloyd Offline

Posted: Sep. 21 2003, 16:02

But just imagine listening to The Wind Chimes when the planes fly over your head at 18:40,that has to be a better listen than stereo?
Profile PM 
Blue Dolphin Offline

Posted: Sep. 21 2003, 16:06

Yeah, but that's something that could be nice for movies, like I said. :)

Oke, I'm really stopping now. ;)

--------------

Mike Oldfield - 1980
Profile PM 
TOBY Offline

Posted: Sep. 21 2003, 16:30

I don't think anybody's 'scared' of the idea of 5.1, I think people are quite legitimately cynical about forking out more money for something they already have just so they can listen to it in a slightly different way, thats certainly one way of looking at it. I freely admit I have never heard music (other than in a film) through a 5.1 system and I'm quite willing to believe it sounds great but if it does take over from stereo, and I have my doubts for a number of reasons, it will take a very long time. Unlike the advent of the CD in the eighties, I don't think people are or will be falling over themselves to buy a 5.1 system, for a a lot of people having a home cinema which doubles as a music listening facility is a luxury and not a necessity, yet anyway. In the fast paced world of today's technology who knows how music listening will be defined in the future? But like I said I think its perfectly valid for people to feel cynical about being milked for their money.
Profile PM 
SCprogfan
Unregistered

Posted: Sep. 23 2003, 11:43

Well, for some reason QUAD never caught on, let alone took over stereo, so it's hard to say about surround sound.  It really is mostly a novelty.  As long as my car stereo, and my Sennheiser headphones are in stereo only, that's what I'm mostly interested in.  Higher resolution (96 & 192kHz) stereo needs to be settled on and embraced before the companies all try to go surround crazy.  Don't skip the step of developing better bit-depth digital stereo audio.   :)
Duncan Offline

Posted: Sep. 23 2003, 15:20

But the point is that with the hi res formats, you always get a hi res stereo mix as well.

Quad failed in the 70s due to competing formats.  I know we have this with SACD and DVDA but the new cheap universal players solve this.

I dont expect multi channel to over take stereo - only a fool would, but it should be encouraged to grow.

Cheap jibes about - whats next 7.1? are irrelevant and dodge the issue.
Profile PM 
67 replies since Aug. 27 2003, 15:56 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (4) < 1 2 [3] 4 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net