Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (4) < 1 [2] 3 4 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: TB demos, Ommadawn 5.1 in 2004, TubeWorld for Xmas< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Thomas Höögh Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Aug. 30 2003, 10:00

I have recently preordered a new DVD-player which reads all cinds of formats that is available today. SACD, DVD-Audio, CDR, CD, CD-RW, DVD-R and so on. It is a Pioneer 565A. I am so looking forward to its arrivle :)

--------------
Crazy, terrible, wonderful, perfect!!!!

I just love Tubular Bells |||
Profile PM WEB 
tubularbills Offline

Posted: Aug. 31 2003, 21:38

i've never been a big fan of Ommadawn, so i probably won't be too enthusiastic with the new release of it. but that's all right. whatever he wants to do is cool, i suppose.

--------------
Terrible, Wonderful, Crazy, Perfect.
Profile PM 
SHINE Offline

Posted: Sep. 03 2003, 17:18

If I understood everything I could read at the link Glorfindel posted here, I'll have to buy some new equipment to be able to enjoy that DVD-A:
A new DVD player which can be able to read DVD-A format, as they say that I cannot do it with my PC's DVD player, and a 5.1 amplifier and a 5.1 speaker system...What else for the next album?

IMHO, it's getting too hard ( and expensive!!!;) to listen to recent MO stuff...
And It's hard for me to believe that the average listener owns all this equipment...
Profile PM 
SHINE Offline

Posted: Sep. 03 2003, 18:20

...In the other side, after looking better at the DVD-A's Artwork, you canread "This DVD will play in all DVD players".
  Does it mean that I will be able to play it on my PC DVD unit?
Profile PM 
oblique Offline

Posted: Sep. 03 2003, 23:40

As far as I know you will be able to.

It's just that you won't experience the music as it's ment to be because your DVD doesn't reproduce the whole range of sounds.

And no I don't own this equipment either and I definately won't buy such a player.
I'm sure in 3 years time they invented something else you have to buy.

--------------
"While we are alive we should sit among colored lights and taste good wines, and discuss our adventures in far places; when we are dead, the opportunity is past." - Jack Vance
Profile PM 
Gilles
Unregistered

Posted: Sep. 04 2003, 08:51

Fine to get a remastered version of Ommadawn.

But what would be great is to have a remastered version of the awesome Knebworth concert which was originally released on VHS - 20 years ago !

Performance of TB and Ommadawn on this video is outstanding, far better, IMHO, than all these TB II/III & Art in Heaven DVDs.

Gilles.
Glorfindel Offline

Posted: Sep. 04 2003, 09:13

I agree Gilles.
I would love to see it remastered and released on DVD ( Not DVD-A though  :p ).
Without doubt the best live performance I have seen from Oldfield, full of passion and energy and at one point I think he was actually enjoying himself !!

I wonder if anyone on the forum attended this concert ?,
if so, was there additional performances? Ommadawn part 2 perhaps ?
Profile PM 
qjamesfloyd Offline

Posted: Sep. 04 2003, 09:36

I have heard a lot about this Knebworth concert,but i have never seen it or heard the music from it,i feel i am missing out on an important event in Mike's live music,so,i would love to see it released on D.V.D. it's about time he released just a gig,instead of a premier concert,because the premier concerts i feel are too restrained,exactly like what you hear on the album,which is fine,but i would like to see something different,plus this concert is from when Mike was at the height of his powers ;)
Profile PM 
Blue Dolphin Offline

Posted: Sep. 04 2003, 10:56

I'm sure there are lots and lots more live performances recorded on video (like Queen Elizabeth Hall, Viareggio 1984, Münich 1982 etc. etc.). I have said this hunderd times before and I'd like to repeat this again:

Release them on DVD MIKE!!!!!!!!! (like Led Zeppelin recently did)

I'm sure Virgin will be able to give their rights to release those "stored and lost" videos.

--------------
-The mark of a good musician is to play one note and mean it-

Mike Oldfield - 1980
Profile PM 
James
Unregistered

Posted: Sep. 04 2003, 11:09

Im fairly sure this Knebworth title will make it to DVD even if
Warner or Virgin don't end up carrying it themselves someone will eventually see the market for it perhaps Mike himself may be able to do this that would be nice perhaps with excerpts of unreleased stuff like theexposed series of concerts ok dream on.

It's a marvellous package it has  great atmosphere anyone who is yet to own or see Mike playing in the English sunshine is in for a big treat!
christopher Offline

Posted: Sep. 04 2003, 17:13

I'm all for more rehashing of back catalogue - NOT!!!!  Has anyone given thought that this 5.1 mix could finish out Mike's obligation to Warner Spain and that he may not get another record contract to produce more albums on a major label???  Mike has had to go smaller and smaller with labels in the 90's and Millennium.  I'm afraid he may be finishing out his contract in this method instead of giving his fans a new fresh album.  

Mike's days are dwindling down.  I've been listening and relistening to TL and TL2 over the last week and have come to the conclusion that Mike's thinking has gotten smaller and smaller in the idea arena.  I hate to see such a brilliant man go to waste with his computer and such simplicity!  However, on the bright side of life, Mike could completely shock me with producing a fresh album - which hasn't been seen in 4 to 5 years!

Christopher
Profile PM 
TOBY Offline

Posted: Sep. 04 2003, 19:28

Hasn't been seen for 4 to 5 years???????? Hasn't been seen for about 10 to 12 years more like. Sorry I'm being provocative but you get the idea

Mike's contract with WEA is for 3 albums, this almost certainly will NOT include any 5.1 remixes etc. If this does end his contract with WEA (highly unlikely) then HOORAY!! Get the fuck out Mike and sign to a smaller, better label who will respect you and put imaginative effort into marketing you. I don't know where some fans get this notion that its a step backwards and a bad sign to go to a smaller label? Could a record company treat an artist with as much incompetance as WEA have done with Mike? Mike is just an ever shrinking fish in a massive pond, much better to be a growing fish in a smaller pond, wouldn't you agree?

On the subject of rehashing Mike's back catalogue. There's a major difference here between putting together a brilliant live DVD including the Knebworth footage and just badly putting together a shitty and utterly dull boxed set (Elements).

The latter contains a 'snapshot' (their words) of Mike's career, ie lots of tracks you've heard already in a running order that compounds the erratic nature of Mike's career instead of celebrating its diversity (The Complete MO did this brilliantly). Whilst the former contains, or rather should contain, some outstanding live performances from a time when Mike really did live and breath his music.
Profile PM 
christopher Offline

Posted: Sep. 04 2003, 20:17

10 to 12 years... yeah well there has been some good albums during the 90's, imho.  TB2 - TSODE - Voyager - Guitars - TB3.  

He has just lost his lust for music!  Lost his zest and spice for music.  He's been around for so long I imagine he just is over it all by now.  Still us fans are trying to hold onto an icon in music that has proven diversity and talent is more important!  He is also happy in his life - that is the first sign that Mike is not going to be that exciting in forseeable future - even he admits to this - FINALLY.  

I don't know what to expect from Mike anymore other than a TB album of some kind.  The Tube World really isn't any hope for something new and fresh aside from visual.  It's not that I'm giving up hope in Mike, it's that I guess I'm just going to have to move on from him and look back at what he has accomplished and keep that close to my heart!  I don't really expect anything grand to come out of him before he calls it quits, that's all.  I expect that if he gave the computer thing a break and picked up an instrument from time to time and polished up his style - his grand days could be seen again.  But, I feel that it is time to let a good man rest and hope that someone will come along to fill his shoes!  

Christopher

PS Warner isn't a great record company for Mike and smaller may not be bad - but from someone who hasn't seen the release of his music in America in more than 7 years (unless you count TB2003) - I'd say smaller just means harder to get ahold of - which translates into 'I'd rather pirate it than go threw the trouble of having to pay for it' - well for some people anyway!
Profile PM 
TOBY Offline

Posted: Sep. 05 2003, 14:00

You may actualy find that a smaller label puts more effort into getting his albums released in the US, this has certainly been the case for other artists whose record labels actualy cherish them. It has to be said however that by the sounds of things Mike himself doesn't seem particularly bothered or interested in the fact that his albums don't get a global release, if he were bothered I'm sure it would be well within his power to get a US label interested. You must remember it's not because there's no US record labels interested in Mike that he doesn't get released over there it's because there's just no effort put into making this happen in the first place, both by Mike and WEA. WEA are a massive label who arn't going to be interested in reletively tiny record sales, a smaller label would be which is one reason (out of many) Mike should leave WEA.  

On the subject of writing Mike's epitaph. I'm not going to yet, although he's given me plenty of reason to in the last ten years and I know a lot of fans have. He is still only 50 which makes him possibly the youngest out of his generation of music legends, Peter Gabriel, Dave Gilmour Jean Michel Jarre to name but a few are all much nearer 60 if not over it. My prediction and hope is that working on TB2003 and now the original Ommadawn again (I still think 5.1 is a gimmick and another way of them to milk more money out of us but anyway....) will put Mike back in the right direction again. He must know that he can't seriously make yet another collection of tuneless intrumental synth pop and expect the fanbase let alone the public to swallow it?

A small ever hopefull part of me thinks his next album might actualy be really pretty bloody good. The man who played 'Ambient Guitars' surely must know that that track represents what could be the future and not sequencing drum loops.
Profile PM 
Duncan Harvey
Unregistered

Posted: Sep. 05 2003, 14:57

why would anyone assume that a 5.1 Ommadawn would have anything to do with Warners, as Virgin own the copyright in the sound recording?  Could always be licensed to Warners I suppose.

As for a DVD Audio disc, it will almost certainly have a dolby digital track and possibly dts.  Both of these will play back on a standard DVD player, although you will need an amp with appropriate speakers etc to hear it.

Best bet is to buy the Pioneer 565 - for £200 multiregion it plays DVD Audio and SACD - I have one, as well as the older 656 model and they are superb.

Both high resolution sound formats are superb, and the equipment to play them  - eg multi format player and amp etc is no longer expensive.
SHINE Offline

Posted: Sep. 05 2003, 19:37

It's not only a matter of price...I know this formats sound very well but I agree with Jael when he says that we will have a new format in 3 years.

The problem is that listenning to music is getting hard because you have to own more and more new equipment, as for computers.

All these 5.1 mixes seems to me the same as TSODE's first track, that CD Rom track for Mac OS that I have never seen: it's something you buy ( and you pay for ), you have it at home but you'll never enjoy it ( if you don't buy the proper stuff to do it )
Besides, when you talk about your player's price you don't mention the price for GOOD amps and GOOD speakers...
I think we would be talking about a 800 Euros ( at least! ) bill.
For me, that' s expensive.

IMHO, there's no "musical" interest in an OMMADAWN 5.1 if there are no new music notes in it. It will sound cleaner, but we are talking about sound quality only.
Of course, this is my own opinion and sure it will be nice for people having that equipment, but...

Will your player  be able to read " QE2 - 7.1 Mix" ?
Profile PM 
TioPepe
Unregistered

Posted: Sep. 06 2003, 06:46

This is very good news - Ommadawn is a very special album for me. I regard it as Mike's best work ever, closely followed by Amarok. It would be very interesting to hear his reflections and thoughts about his work after almost thirty years of perspective.
TioPepe
Unregistered

Posted: Sep. 06 2003, 07:31

Concerning the discussion about the quality of Mike's later releases - IMHO Mike has not released anything noteworthy since Amarok - which is thirteen years ago. Call me nostalgic if you like (I'm 25) but Mike's earliest work are what define his music. I'm not so fond of TB, but i regard Hergest Ridge and especially Ommadawn as absolutely brilliant. I recently discovered QE2 and it is also fantastic, even if it contains two covers. Then - mostly silence for fifteen years... and, like lightning from a blue sky - Amarok. Who would have thought that?
And since then... dead still. I have TSODE (only god knows why) and there's absolutely nothing wrong with it if you like bland chill-out music, but if you compare it with e g Amarok it can't be considered anything but... crap.
Well, I'm really happy that Mike has got back to his "roots" now... and I guess we should all give him a break - the man that played Ommadawn doesn't have to prove anything again - ever.
Still, I guess we would all be very happy if he came up with a brilliant instrumental work once again - he did it once with Amarok, maybe he could do it again. And maybe that would include leaving music for a while - even a long time. If he made something even remotely close to Ommadawn when he's eighty, I think it is well worth the wait.
Jason
Unregistered

Posted: Sep. 10 2003, 17:28

Ommadawn 5.1?
What else can I say but...
Hooray!  :laugh:
The Warlock
Unregistered

Posted: Sep. 17 2003, 07:45

Ommadawn 5.1????

Oh, for god´s shake!
Why????  :/
67 replies since Aug. 27 2003, 15:56 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (4) < 1 [2] 3 4 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net