Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (4) < 1 2 [3] 4 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Taurus 2, A surprising lack of a cover..< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
MusicallyInspired Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: April 12 2004, 08:54

Good stuff, dude! The sound might work just fine though. I'll play power chords along side you with a lesser distinct sound but with a bit of treble and mid so as to make the part sound good with both guitars like so:

http://smc.sq7.org/miscfile/brandon/brandon_guitar_chords.ogg

And here's one of the lead tracks also (with this one I played along with the CD and kept on playing on to the next part after the crazy part and then the time ran out lol):

http://smc.sq7.org/miscfile/brandon/brandon_guitar_lead1.ogg

These also are beta tracks and I'll redo them.

--------------
BrandonBlume.com
"The beauty in life is in the embracing of the variety of things. If all the world was blue there would be no colour blue."
Profile PM WEB 
Jammer Offline

Group: Members
Posted: April 13 2004, 16:27

The recorded parts sound good so far. Did you both play it along with the original version or with the backing track that I created? I had a go at loading the parts in with my backing track but, as with any group project, the synchronisation and timing was wildly out. Sometimes it is ahead, other times it is behind. I remember that Johnny (Crises) had the same issues with his project

I have made two guide tracks which contain a metronome click track. The beginnings of important phrases have an accented click so you know where they begin. The guide track for the Turbulence section contains the backing mix, but ducked below the click track. I have also managed to put up a table I made of the different tempi used up to the 'Deep Deep Sound' poem. The original fluctuates a fair bit, but the nearest constant tempi I worked out are shown. There are only three different ones. For the first section, the guide track isn't that important if you have a metronome you can play to - just set it at 163bpm (counting in quavers) and you're away. For the turbulence section however, there is an all important rit in the last two bars. It took me a while experimenting with this section. It returns from 222bpm to 163bpm, but the section after 'turbulence' seemed quite fast. In the end I made the tempo slow down below 163bpm, but snap back to it at the beginning of the new section. It kind off resembles the exagerated rits used in TB2003, though not quite as much.

I understand that what you've put up are demos. When you record final versions of your parts, it may help to do it in small bits. This is why I chose to make two seperate guide tracks, but you could record smaller takes than the individual sections if it's possible.

This will help in numerous ways: For example you can use different guitar patches or amp settings than keep to the same one throughout! This will make it sound more like a multitrack recording than a live performance. Smaller chunks will also avoid silences which take up audio file space and increase the chances of drifting out of time. Smaller files can mean that you can send better quality oggs or wavs

On my backing track, I have currently finished the drums of the trading solos section. Unfortunately I am running out of available time to work on the project. Just as well I made some in-roads earlier on! I might not be able to add to the backing for as long as a few months. :O Therefore, as not to hinder your progress I will finish the basic framework (at least the drums) of the rest of the section. You'll have a guide to work with and I'll come back to the rest of it when I can

Here are the files:

Overview of Tempi
Guide 1 (2mins) @163bpm
Guide 2 @222bpm with rit
Profile PM 

Posted: April 13 2004, 19:12

Yes I was recording along with the CD for those. Actually for the chords I think I recorded with your version. Anyway..

Good idea about recording in parts. I was planning on using multiple guitars with multiple effect settings, too.

Sorry to hear you won't be able to contribute as much...but if you get the drum track laid down that would be great. That would be fine until you can come back and finish off the rest of what you need to do.

It's gonna be good, though.

--------------
BrandonBlume.com
"The beauty in life is in the embracing of the variety of things. If all the world was blue there would be no colour blue."
Profile PM WEB 
dbruce Offline

Posted: April 14 2004, 04:53

Hey guys - slight technical hitch at my end, in that my Hard Disk seems to have completely failed on me, so no PC for the time being (And I doubt they'd let me plug my guitar into the uni PCs in the lab!  :p).

Brandon - love the guitar! At first I was worried about the time-synch, but then re-read your post and saw the second part was in time to the original. Phew!

I totally agree with recording in parts. I doubt that two guitar lines all the way through would suffice somehow! Still, it would do well to have one guitar in the background that's constistent most of the way through.

Couple of things that still need cleared up - do we have a female vocalist? And are we going into the Deep Deep Sound? (Sounds fun! - Lots of chance to rip off the TB theme! ;) Plus I've been working on an 'ambient' guitar patch - similar to the one Dave Gilmour uses on his latest DVD if anyone has it - that might work well for this secion. I'll experiment and see what I can do! )

Anyway, got classes to go to :( - hope to be back up and running within a few days.

David
Profile PM 
Jammer Offline

Posted: April 18 2004, 17:00

I know that Yuval was expressing an interest to join Johnny's project. He might be able to get a female vocalist. Tracks of his that I've heard so far are of very good recording and production quality, so if he's still around he's a good choice.

I noticed that probably due to an influx of recent group projects after the success of Finale, our band is quite thin in its line-up. This is probably a good thing as mixing it could be a nightmare. Richard found the Finale challenging to do :O With any luck fewer contributors will mean less recording anomalies and problems when it comes to mixing. Oh, and don't worry, there is less chance of me loosing my work on my hard disk as I have an external drive that I can store backups on. It's down to me to make regular backups :)

For my last submission in a while I've finished off the guide track and drum track for the rest of the section. This will allow you to play right up to the guitar chord before the 'Deep Deep Sound' starts. My guide tracks are again mixes with the parts ducked below the metronome track. I didn't think there was a need to upload the real track as there is only basic drums. If you've read my table of sections from my last post, you'll see that I decided the solo at the end of the 'Clouds' section (5:22) was played ad lib. on the original. On my guide track I made a steady change of tempo in the last bar (I think) from 163bpm to 135bpm. When you get round to recording this solo you don't have to follow the metronome directly - it wont sound right if you do. It'll make more sense when you play along to this bit

The Morris Men section itself sounds very sparse at the moment. I just put in what there is of a drum kit part. I feel kind of bad not playing a real instrument live. When I get a chance some time I was thinking of recording a bodhrán part in addition to the sleigh bells and stick sounds that are there

I agree with you David - eventually the cover could last up to the climax at 11 minutes in, but before that happens it might be good to work on the mixing even in the first 2 minutes.

I must say I've learnt quite a lot about mixing and effects just by working on this project. That's one of the things that keeps me going with it

Guide3_clouds-morrisleadin.ogg
Guide4_morrismen_135bpm.ogg

and for those of you who want to hear my work so far, the past files have moved. They can be found here:

demo-opening.ogg (1st 2 mins)
turbulence-demo.ogg (next 1 minute)
Profile PM 

Posted: April 18 2004, 21:34

Your guide3 file is a broken link, there.

Great stuff. Glad you won't be losing anything :). I'll be recording some parts sooner or later. This is coming along nicely.

--------------
BrandonBlume.com
Profile PM WEB 
Jammer Offline

Posted: April 19 2004, 17:40

Quote (MusicallyInspired @ April 19 2004, 02:34)
Your guide3 file is a broken link, there

Fixed it

You'll have experience of group projects - When you submitted your parts to Richard via BOOsTER's server, was the best method to record the guitar without too many effects?

Reading the old Finale thread I think he was talking about this

I guess that a dry recording would make mixing it simpler
Profile PM 

Posted: April 19 2004, 21:28

Yes, that's what Richard wanted. No reverb or anything. Just the most basic sound you can get. All I had was a clean guitar pretty much for the guitar following the bass-line and jsut distortion and wah for the other.

Downloading the link now.

--------------
BrandonBlume.com
Profile PM WEB 
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: April 20 2004, 05:49

Looks like a good point for me to jump in here...

Yes, Finale had its tricky points, which indeed were related to the number of different sources. You having less contributors will certainly help, as will having the guide tracks rather than a MIDI file.

Submitting parts dry is definitely the way to go - it'll help you get a more cohesive sound when everything's going through the same processing rather than, for example, having a different reverb on each instrument (of course there are times when you might want that...) and you'll get a lot more control over how things sound. You might want to run something through a bit of very mild overdrive, for example, to add a bit of body to it - perfectly possible with a dry sound, but if there are effects on it, it stands a good chance of sounding horrible.

There is of course no reason why people couldn't send a recording of the fully wet effected signal as well, if their setup will allow for it - that then lets you use the effects they want, but gives the flexibility of processing the dry (and indeed the effected) signal without any trouble. It also means you can still balance the level of the effect, so the part doesn't get lost in the mix.

Also, a little tip to whoever ends up recording the bass - it needs to be brighter than you think. I know that logic says that it's a bass, so it should be bassy and have all the top end rolled off, but that actually just makes it disappear in the mix. Much better to leave it fairly flat sounding and leave the EQ to the mix, if you ask me.

If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask...good luck!
Profile PM 
akane Offline

Posted: April 20 2004, 07:37

I think I'm kinda late =)
but if you need any guitars tracks, ask me =)

--------------
Blue Haired Akané
Profile PM WEB 
Jammer Offline

Posted: April 21 2004, 14:32

I just heard your Platinum cover

Although you've got a GT6 as well, you're a really talented player. I could imagine you sounding good on this. Another bonus is that you're not from the UK - so the novelty of varied nationalities working on the project is added to!

It's up to Brandon to decide. I'm sure we can divide up the parts
Profile PM 
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: April 21 2004, 16:23

Quote (Jammer @ April 21 2004, 19:32)
Although you've got a GT6 as well, you're a really talented player.

As we all know, a guitarist's sound is all in his multi FX, right? ;)
Profile PM 
akane Offline

Posted: April 21 2004, 16:26

hahahahah

thanks ^^

But if there is no mere place left for this project, i will survive ;)
I ask just in case

--------------
Blue Haired Akané
Profile PM WEB 

Posted: April 21 2004, 22:15

Hey, akane. Sorry for the late reply. It would be great to have you on the cover! Maybe we can do more than just the 8 minutes we were aiming for with mroe people joining like this :). We'll figure out some spots for you...right now I'm tired and need sleep and need to get up early.

Until then when I'm much more awake.....:)

--------------
BrandonBlume.com
Profile PM WEB 
akane Offline

Posted: April 22 2004, 10:23

no rush no rush ^^

--------------
Blue Haired Akané
Profile PM WEB 
Jammer Offline

Posted: April 22 2004, 17:50

Quote (Korgscrew @ April 21 2004, 21:23)
Quote (Jammer @ April 21 2004, 19:32)
Although you've got a GT6 as well, you're a really talented player.

As we all know, a guitarist's sound is all in his multi FX, right? ;)

Oh yes. Otherwise acoustic guitars would be seen as inferior to electrics :)

At the most ruthless the flashy multi FX boxes might only be used for interfacing purposes, so nope I didn't mean the two points to be read together! It's actually another perk when it comes to mixing tracks
Profile PM 
Jammer Offline

Posted: May 06 2004, 16:23

Hi.

This is not an update, but just to bring to your attention I have a speedy net connection at the moment. Perfect for recieving large wave files of any recordings you might have. I know you need to have a fast connection too, but if you have time to record parts I'd be happy to try them out with the mix. It can be as short a passage as you want. In most cases it's preferable to get a short bit really good than have a long passage with slightly more mistakes. You'd know this from doing your own multitrack projects

I'm looking forward to the time when I can resume my work on the synth parts, right now I am (or should be) busy with uni work, but can have a go on the basic mixing side of things

There might be a slight possibility that I will be able to contribute something to this project that will dramatically change it completely and lift it above all other covers! However, this is not certain and I don't want to get your hopes up yet by revealing anything...
Profile PM 
Jammer Offline

Posted: May 09 2004, 18:58

9th May 2004

I was able to work with Brandon in realtime over the project. It was quite cool that he'd send me a guitar track, I'd mix it with the backing and send back the mixdown - nearly across the other side of the world!

Here's an updated demo with one of the guitar parts added to the backing. We determined that the guitar was out of time at places. There might be a way of comping a separate take together with this or tinkering around with the audio track itself :O

As for the sound of the mix itself let me know what you think. It hasn't got any panning yet so sounds rather flat. Anyway it was mostly in time and fitted together well

Intro demo (May) (c. 2MB)
Profile PM 

Posted: May 09 2004, 20:54

You know I completely forgot about you, akane! I'm very sorry for that. There's really not enough solos in the first 8 minutes to get more than 2 guitarists to do something. I say we go further. I'm sure we can get somebody for Deep Deep Sound. Akane you can do guitar parts for the section right after Deep Deep Sound and after that too. And hey why not just the last part right before the climax too? Then we can all play the part on the climax together. All the guitarists. That would rule.

What say you, men? Dare we venture the entire 25 minutes?! I wanna do it!

--------------
BrandonBlume.com
Profile PM WEB 
Yuval Offline

Group: Awaiting Authorisation
Posted: May 10 2004, 02:54

anything I can do to help?
The female vocalist is not available at the moument. Anything else? I can do guitars, string, faked ulean pipes out of overdubbed guitar etc...
Profile PM 
61 replies since Mar. 10 2004, 21:25 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (4) < 1 2 [3] 4 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net