Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Supernova, Ascension, Mike's sleeve notes< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
CJJC Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Aug. 21 2012, 11:45

The Songs of Distant Earth project was an idea of Rob Dickens. He gave me the book by Arthur C. Clarke, although I may have already read it. He thought it would be a good follow up to Tubular Bells II. I trusted Rob's judgment* and thought it would be an interesting project. I was also lucky enough to be able to visit Arthur C. Clarke in Sri Lanka and spend an afternoon with him, which was a dream come true for me, as I had been a fan of his work for many years. There are some wonderful ideas on that album.

*As spelt in the booklet.

--------------
IMHO
Profile PM WEB 
CJJC Offline

Posted: Aug. 21 2012, 11:49

There are a few Americanised spellings in the booklet, actually. "License" from the Five Miles Out section springs to mind.

As for the album, I believe there are those who don't like A New Beginning at the ending so for those people it might be nice to have the opportunity to cut in this version of Ascension instead and having the album stop there instead.

(I am not one of those people - it's clearly the end of the story with humanity starting again for one thing)

--------------
IMHO
Profile PM WEB 
larstangmark Offline

Posted: Aug. 21 2012, 13:45

"There are some wonderful ideas on that album"

That's the kind of things you say about a album you're not that happy with, isn't it? Or am I reading my own opinions into his comments? :laugh:

Thanks anyway for putting all the comments up on the forum!

--------------
"There are twelve people in the world, the rest are paste"
Mark E Smith
Profile PM WEB 
CJJC Offline

Posted: Aug. 21 2012, 16:05

I think this comment would be fairer applied to Oldfield talking about The Millennium Bell which is an album he clearly knows isn't very popular and so has selected quite a large number of tracks.

I would hope he's justifiably proud of TSODE, not least for the genuinely cutting edge interactive elements. One of the first, and maybe THE first CD to do such things. Definitely the first time I'd ever encountered such things. I remember talk at the time that it might not be eligible for the charts as a result. I recall the other early enhanced CD was a Rolling Stones one, but I might be going mental.

--------------
IMHO
Profile PM WEB 
3 replies since Aug. 21 2012, 11:45 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net